teaching english abroad

p-jilbs

i was considering this because:

a.) i'd like to get out of the country and travel

b.) i dont know what i wanna do with my life

c.) people have been saying i do not need to know the native language

i'd like to teach it in russia and i do know a tiny bit of russian (written and spoken). has anyone here taught abroad? can you help me??

any help is appreciated. i know i can count on 12oz for help because you guys are awesome.

- pjilbs (Mr. Mang)

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
i was considering this because:

a.) i'd like to get out of the country and travel

b.) i dont know what i wanna do with my life

c.) people have been saying i do not need to know the native language

i'd like to teach it in russia and i do know a tiny bit of russian (written and spoken). has anyone here taught abroad? can you help me??

any help is appreciated. i know i can count on 12oz for help because you guys are awesome.

- pjilbs (Mr. Mang)

You can go to Japan through the JET Program and teach there. It pays something like $40,000, and you don't need to know any Japanese. It's kinda like Russia, only Russia invaded Japan like little bitches during WW2.

You can go to Japan through the JET Program and teach there. It pays something like $40' date='000, and you don't need to know any Japanese. It's kinda like Russia, only Russia invaded Japan like little bitches during WW2.[/quote']

What kind of credentials are required? I need a college degree or can I just straight lie to them? I know they dont do any real checking..

Guest Ginger Bread Man

yo b... you would actually do semi decent in any major city in mexico. very little creds if any needed and u would have the ability to discover a whole new world...

I know someone down in Mexico city with a lot of unused floorspace, who insists we visit him all the time..

But arent the Federales lookin to bust and extort all the native english speakers? The last place I want to end up in is a mexican prison..

Im also wanting to consider the pay. I know what the pay is like in Japan. Can I make Bank in Mexico City? I think the policia in mexico are way more tough then the ones in Japan..No talking back allowed..Streetside beatdowns/killings..ect

Guest Ginger Bread Man

nah u got it all twisted. most fuzz are out looking to make a buck. they are paid shitty soas long as u sport them a few bucks u can get away with murder... as long as your minding your biz you should be ok here. i wasnt really talkingabout mex city i was referring to guadalajara or monterrey. and if you plan on making "bank" mexico isnt where its going to happen... ull get by and live very well at best...

who is out in mex city?

who is out in mex city?

This friend of my wife's he's half mexican half japanese, speaks both languages. I smoked him out one time during a barbecue and that was the last time I'd seen him, maybe 4 years ago..

Anyway he wants us to come visit him in Mexico City and says we can stay in his pad.

I'd just need an econmical way to go there and back..Mexico city is way the fuck down there..Not exactly TJ..

Other then that, How's the teaching? Can I have my own hours, and go specifically for like english pronounciation ..teaching older age groups, meeting with different students like once a week for x ammount of hours..

Or do I go into like the language schools and meet up with people of all age and listen to them talk for an hour, while suggest and advise a few things here and there..maybe proofread some written essay type stuff every time I see them.. I gotta research this crap, huh?

Did you guys ever think that it's unethical to spread english speaking culture even further

across the face of these societies..?

Is'nt it enough already..?

The self-centred nature of your thinking does'nt even occur to you..?

You want to go somewhere new to experience the culture, but to do so,

you use your culture to shove upon them for profit..(?!?)

It shows no respect and a lack of concious..

If you don't have a true passion or skill for teaching, you should'nt be a teacher..

If you just want to make money, there's other ways to do so..

maybe not to build a carrer or savings with, but enough to support you whilst in that country...

even jobs using your native language..

How about.. Editing/ translation.. Working as a liason at a store or with a company.. even working at hotels...?

Never occured to you..? It's the easy-way-out or no way out..?

Working with english speaking people for business and even tourism industries

while maintaining the focus on full self-emmerison in that culture when dealing with natives..?

Do you not see the difference in efficency, respect and ethics..?

Thailande and Mexico are one thing.. there most of the people can not afford to physically

go to an English speaking country to study.. and if they want globalized oppourtunity,

then it is imperitive that they do know some real English.. so there it may be a charitable act,

especially considering that the pay will only suffice in that country..

and nothing of significance to take home.

But with countries like Japan... They can afford to come to English speaking countries to study.. They are even sponsered to do so..

Why further inflict this refined homogenous society with the plague of western ideas and filth culture? Is'nt it already too much? Are'nt there already enough teachers there~? Would'nt it be better to push them into going abroad to study rather than having that ackward mess of foriegner-in-a-strange-land slash tourist slash teacher situation..?

As a visitor to thier country it is YOU who should be the student..

It is my choice to position myself as part of the solution rather than part of the problem..

Therefore being an English teacher is not an option which I consider when traveling...

--

Just another perspective on this...

Your talking like English is a bad language to know..When its really a very good language to know well..

I wont say that english is better then every other language, But thats because english is my only language..

The thing is, a lot of non american non brittish/scottish non aussie people, specifically the young academic types, usually right out of highschool, or college are pushed to learn a 2nd language by good parents/mentors. English has shown itself to be a rather usefull language, considering how many bussinesses make money using it.

Im told that most Japanese/Chinese/korean parents will earn and save up to a few thousand, sometimes like 9 or 10 thousand dollars just to get thier kid into a halfwa decent university, good portions of that money are spent on making sure thier son or daughter really knows the language before going to the country to learn. Im also told that the universities in places like Japan arent exactly "very good" and that many parents will opt for US universities, HI, CA, WA..all up and down the westcoast.

Whats so wrong about wanting to teaching young aspiring people a language they are dieing to know? They plan on putting it to good use one day, so nothing should interfere with them learning the language. English just happens to be a very well known language in bussiness world, theres little you can do about that. Im sure the top bussinessmen know like3 or 4 different languages and all have rather extensive vocabularies. IF you knew Farsi, you could be in the oil bussiness, if you knew Japanese you could be in the floral t-shirt bussiness, If you knew German you could be in the automobile bussiness. Knowing certain langauges well, makes you a shoe-in for the real jobs out there. That is if you plan your life is planned around working to be corporate scumbag no. 1..I think most people become republicans first though..Then they see the bigger picture.

You did make a really good point though - I would like to see people understanding other languages before forcing theirs on others. Even for careers like graffiti typography and murals, knowing the clients language is often times a must, it brings that person a little more sense of ease and more control over whats going on.

Teaching English is just like all the other menial occupation, but its a step in the right direction for anyone who wants experiance teaching english, as well as those who want to teach one language and learn another at the same time. Ultimately it comes down to also wanting to learn the other langauges, Teachers who really have the passion for what they do, like you saying should also want to learn the other language. The more languages you know the better.

How much longer will it be until everyones speaking just 2 or 3 langauges and using 2 or 3 alphabets? Its an extremely real possibility. A recent poll indicated that 60% of Japan's young people want Japan to be American soil. More then half of the young generation agreed that thier country should be sold to America.

I would really hate to see that happen. I mean its a good thing for Japan to have any army again and become a pivotal country like they were before Peal Harbor, But damn I would really feel down if I saw American cops taking control of the country like they have done in the US, the saddest part would be the buff. The buff would come to Japan and all the Graffiti Citie's would be in great danger. Department of Public Works, and The buff paint companies are out there making money off those who put themselves and thier freedom at risk doing something deemed illegal, but something they love to do. Something is seriously wrong with the young people in Japan right now..They are lazy, without spirit and have little will-power to preserve what is thier own, atleast 60% of them are. I like Japan just the way it is now, and I fear the day it becomes US soil.

So maybe your right, We shouldnt be going to places like Japan to teach english because they shouldnt know it - they shouldnt want to become americanized, because that will lead to Japan becoming America's 54th state.. Like I said, I dread that day..I dont want to see Japan die..

I didn't spend the time to read all that dribble about teaching English is unethical. But, "It shows no respect and a lack of concious.." it appears that even native speakers could use a lesson.

I think it's great that you want to teach English abroad and I want to do the same. Sometimes people just need to be given an opportunity, and learning to read, write, and speak English is an opportunity no matter how you cut it.

& honestyl, how are you going to worry about Federales in Mexico City? What are you nuts!?

teaching overseas is hyped up. yea the salary is 40k in japan, but have you guys even checked out rental costs. rent in japan, especially tokyo, makes manhattan look like the ghettos of florida

unless you got friends overseas and a room or couch to crash on for cheap, i dont recommend it

and at least learn some of the fucking language before doing it.

Did you guys ever think that it's unethical to spread english speaking culture even further

across the face of these societies..?

Is'nt it enough already..?

The self-centred nature of your thinking does'nt even occur to you..?

Yadda Yadda Yadda

Why further inflict this refined homogenous society with the plague of western ideas and filth culture?

English is the international language of business. That will not change. Teaching english to anyone immediately makes them a more valuable employee no matter where they live. The argument that the Japanese can afford to come to America is simply self serving on your part. How do you know they can afford it? What about those who can't afford to leave Japan? Are they unworthy of bettering themselves and perhaps earning enough to travel to America simply because you think it's unethical to increase their knowledge?

How fucking high is your horse? In the 1800's it was illegal to teach a Negro to read or write, shame we compromised our ethics and struck down that law...

Maybe you can tell me more about the self-centered nature of teaching anything to anyone anywhere ever.

Ohhhh, I see, it's really about the 'plague of western ideas and filth culture'... I notice you said 'ideas' and not ideaLs. I am reminded of the words Nikita Kruschev in his famous "We Will Bury You!" speech. He said:

"Don't be afraid of ideas. We have nothing to fear. The time has past when ideas scare us."

Pull down the flag for a minute and read the jest of my comments..

I was applying them to the idea of

"I want to travel to a place, so I'll do this for the fuck of it" ,

not because they actually want to be teachers..

And those people tend not be the most professional representives of Western culture..

So many people go in oblivious and never consider the severity of thier responsibilites..

If you're about going to a place, then go that place, submerse yourself..

As for the other discrepancies..

If you did'nt understand,

and I'd say most of you did'nt,

then read it again..

but with your replys in mind...

& this..

"I am reminded of the words Nikita Kruschev in his famous "We Will Bury You!" speech. He said:

"Don't be afraid of ideas. We have nothing to fear. The time has past when ideas scare us.""

"

Have we>?!

Has it>?!? haha

nikita-kruschev.jpg

nikita-kruschev.jpg

Ok, first off... In 1984, after years of painstaking research and much gnashing of teeth, American scientists were forced to admit that Kruschev was not killed by the 'idea of death' and, instead, the cause was in fact, DEATH!

Pull down the flag for a minute and read the jest of my comments..

The flag huh... the flag? Is 'jest' just a typo? Did you mean 'jist'? Your spelling makes it difficult for me to put much stock in what you say, as you obviously didn't listen too closely in English class, which is, in a round about way, what this entire thread is about... the flag?

"I want to travel to a place, so I'll do this for the fuck of it" ,

not because they actually want to be teachers..

I bet the Mexicans who helped me roof the house never thought "I'm gonna move to America and be a roofer!" Yet... there they were outside home depot, and there I was with a truck full of shingles and a fist full of cash... You're right though, I did kinda feel they were unethical when they accepted my money for the work they had done.

And those people tend not be the most professional representives of Western culture..

I'm sure you know this because you're the head of some big NFPO involved with policing the professionalism of 'representatives of Western culture' (why do you keep capitalizing 'Western'?) but I'm really gonna need to see these figures on some sort of official company letterhead.

So many people go in oblivious and never consider the severity of thier responsibilites..

If you're about going to a place, then go that place, submerse yourself..

Severe responsabilities? Explain.

Also, you may submerge yourself OR immerse yourself but submerse is not a word. I think, perhaps, one of our most severe responsabilities as representatives of Western culture is to actually use words that exist in the English language. I would think that would be an almost unspoken law among English teachers the world over, not teaching words that don't exist I mean...

As for the other discrepancies..

No, no, you've quite enough here, but feel free to point them out if you must.