Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Teachers can all die.

Discussion in 'News' started by ODS-1, Feb 21, 2005.

1. ODS-1

ODS-1 Elite Member

A student named Jay (who wants his last name to be withheld) at Brick Township High School in New Jersey, had his chair pulled out from under him after he refused to stand for the national anthem.

A student named Jay (who wants his last name to be withheld) at Brick Township High School in New Jersey, had his chair pulled out from under him after he refused to stand for the national anthem. The class started out that morning with the teacher Stuart Mantel yelling "I don't want to hear a sound! Not a sound! Morning exercises will come on, you will stand, you will stand quietly, you will pay attention! Any Questions!?...Now stand up and keep your mouths shut!" Students stood up as the national anthem began playing.

In the middle of the anthem, Mantel walked over to Jay and demanded that he stand up. Jay silently refused, and Mantel yelled again, "Stand up!". Jay then said "I don't have to stand up". To which Mantel insisted "You have to stand." Jay said "No I don't". Mantel then reached over and pulled Jay's chair out from under him. Jay responded to Mantel's outrageous behavior by asking him "Are you serious?", to which he yelled "I am damn well serious."

Jay said that he didn't have any political reasons for his refusal to stand but that he wanted to sit because he feels it is his right to do so and that right was being threatened by Mantel. Jay said that he thought Mantel might tell him to stand, but he never expected to be physically forced to do so.

Jay's friend who was in the class at the time, Corey, says that their teacher had been strict in the past in demanding that students stand for the national anthem and pledge of allegiance. That's why they brought in a camera - to expose the teacher in case he did anything again. "The teacher and school principals wanted him (Mantel) to press charges against us...they tried to blame it on us like it was premeditated, like we did it just to get him on tape, which is false. We knew he was gonna go nuts because he frequently used to" said Corey.

Jay's other classmate Steve got suspended for 10 days for filming the incident. The school told Corey that it "violated the teacher's constitutional rights" for them to film the teacher without his permission. "I think that its crazy that people are getting in trouble for this or things they say. There have been so many kids video taping and no one ever got in trouble for it. So why now?" Jay asked. It sounds as if the school is punishing this student now because of the nature of what's on the tape, not the fact they were taping the teacher without his permission.

When I asked Corey if Mantel was being punished for pulling out Jay's chair, he said "Nope...I asked (the principal) 'What are you doing to discipline Mantel?' and they said 'we talked'. Teachers do anything they want". Seeing acts like Mantel's go unpunished will likely inspire teachers to continue intimidating their students into standing for the national anthem and pledge of allegiance.

If you would like to let Brick Schools know how you feel about their handling of this situation, you may contact them here:

Brick Township Public Schools
    Board of Education
    101 Hendrickson Ave
    Brick, NJ 08723
    732-785-3000

Brick Township High School
    346 Chambers Bridge Road
    Brick, NJ 08723
    (732)262-2500

2. CACashRefund

CACashRefund 12oz Loyalist

Videotaping the teacher harrass their student for not wanting to stand up for the pledge of allegiance is a vilolation of the TEACHERS constitutional rights?

3. Teacher's an asshole, kid's a dick.

4. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

the assholes leading the dicks. [no homo]

If the kid is in his rights not to stand,
    then the teacher is also in his rights to pull the chair.
    The 'right' to ignore manners and be a prick is NOT
    what your founding fathers had in mind when they
    wrote the constitution.

5. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

the kid refusing to stand was not an attack or sign of animosity against any of the other people in the classroom. it is not the teacher's place to choose the students' on politics or patritiotism. i would say pulling a chair from under someone who is sitting is more than rude. what else do you think the teacher had the right to do? punch him in the face? teachers are held to a higher standard of behavior than their students. (i thought.) if the teacher had pulled that stunt out in the public, like in a sports stadium, it probably would not have gone over.

6. ODS-1

ODS-1 Elite Member

The kid wasn't violating anyone's personal space by not standing. But when this dick head teacher pulls a chair out from him, that's pretty much violating his "space". I mean shit, isn't it kind of dangerous to take something out from under someone while they're sitting on it? That kid should show up at that teachers home with a baseball bat.

7. AW

AW New Jack

The kid got what he deserved!

8. POIESIS

POIESIS Member

why are you hating on all teachers?

9. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

maybe it's just my inner old man....

I'd LOVE to see that kid refuse to stand in front of a bunch
    of veterans who would then kick his ass and tell him to
    'love it or leave it you damn commie'. I picture abe simpson
    and his buddy jasper beating the kid with walking sticks.

10. Nekro

Nekro Elite Member

Teacher's got the power, so it's cool to be a dick.

11. Then it's also cool to be assholes towards dicks then. Assholes with power.

Don't get me wrong, I think the teacher's a complete fuckwad and should be fired, but that kid is a fucking prick for doing things for the sake of being an undisciplined punk (notice he gave no reasons as to why he did what he did). I have absolutely zero respect for little shits who think they are above everyone else and "excercise their rights" in order to irritate others.

12. bodice_ripper

bodice_ripper Elite Member

Do you *have* to stand for these little prayer-substitutes?

13. robJ

robJ Member

If the kid didn't want to stand for the pledge, Fuck him. Teacher could of asked the student to leave his classroom, for being disruptive or feeling the this child was disrespecting his patritiotism. (thats what this is about right) But for the teacher to pull the chair out from under him is assault. Assault on a minor the way I see it. The teacher crossed the line,
    How I see it..If this teacher was positive mentor , there would of never been any thoughts to bring a camera into the classroom, to film his disorderly conduct, reguardless. IF that was my boy, teacher would of been swallowing his car keys afterwork

14. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

when i was in school noone made anything of the kids who didn't stand

15. Weapon X

Weapon X 12oz Loyalist

If that was my kid, I'd give a flogging he'd remember for a long, long time. And I'd probably let the teacher if I wasn't around to do it.