tattoo letering

richard nixon

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Essentially Photoshop has good examples of script, roman, and gothic which are the three major font styles. Classic tattoo font is a pull from roman lettering, but just go to any bookstore and look in the art section. there should be a few books on fonts and lettering, also check a library, and antique stores for rarer examples.

• 3 years later...

No such thing, tattoo's are permanent, most inks can be removed by lazer but there are no guarantees.

I've heard blue is the toughest to remove but again, removing anything is never easy or guaranteed.

A lot of people are walking around with nasty scars and discoloration from removal or shitty tattoo's.

Your best bet is to save up and go to a reputable shop, and if you're not sure about a shop then ask around.

Don't get any artwork on you you're 100% sure you will outgrow or need removed, think long term.

Never get a tattoo from an amateur or a friend who just got some equipment and is offering "a good deal".

The shit is permanent, no guarantees it can be covered. or burned off, no such thing as temporary or easy to remove ink.

Essentially Photoshop has good examples of script, roman, and gothic which are the three major font styles. Classic tattoo font is a pull from roman lettering, but just go to any bookstore and look in the art section. there should be a few books on fonts and lettering, also check a library, and antique stores for rarer examples.

BJ betts is my homeboy....

motherbjip6.jpg

Looks like script to me....not roman. Unless script was originally pulled from Roman.

Don't get any artwork on you you're 100% sure you will outgrow or need removed, think long term.

i know this threads not popping with conversation and this isn't the intent of the thread, but...

i don't think this is possible. you never know what life will bring and how your views will change.

get a tattoo that is good, not silly, and executed well (see tattoo thread in ch 0).

also, fire will remove any color of ink.

• 4 months later...

since spambot bumped this to the top i felt that this was relevant. study typography before trying to jump into something like permanently applying a terrible script onto someone's body.

start with typographic design: form and communication

0471783900.jpg&t=1

• 4 months later...
in volume 2 he makes alot less mistakes. like putting the thick part of the a on the wrong side and shit.

I noticed this, and my "boss" at the time would never listen to me about her A's not being proper.

The BJ Betts books are pretty good though, he explains how to do a lot of little tricks. His letters are cool too, lots of examples and step by step bits.

It's more for learning how to draw letters though, not like an alphabet on every page. Like previously stated, book stores have some awesome lettering books.

I don't go into enough antique shops, but I did come up on some "The good old days" magazines at a flea market in Jamestown from 71-76 featuring all sorts of early advertisement from the 1800's & early 1900's.

I bought as many as I could.

4pxktSrD4YNJfvs.jpg

Some of the most original hand drawn letters and filigree I've ever seen.

• 2 months later...