Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

tattoo flash

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by j3di, Feb 4, 2002.

1. j3di

j3di Member

does anyone here know any good sites with nice detailed photos of tattoo flash?...im trying to get ideas and styles to jumpstart my own portfolio...im looking for alot of swallows/sacred hearts/flames/crowns...well the new oldschool style...any help would be appreciated.

tootles...

2. Rhubarb

Rhubarb New Jack

bump....because i wouldn't mind seeing some myself and I know someone can help.

3. garcia_vega

garcia_vega Elite Member

www.tattoonow.com will link you to a lot of dope shit.
    also, i'm sure sailor jerry has a site with swallows galore. just do a google search for sailor jerry or something.

4. Handjob

Handjob Guest

email me, I can send you samples and info about my latest set...

5. vinyl junkie

vinyl junkie Elite Member

i assume yer already established as a tattooer, otherwise good luck getting anything going in the flash biz... for an unknown artist it really has to be something incredible for anyone to buy it, although i do know a couple of people who have funded several-month long hitch-hiking trips by selling flash packs in the towns they stop in... ya never know...

if yer gonna go for it though, why spend yer time with swallows and daggers and shit, do something original... every tattooer has seen enough "new school traditional" flash to last the rest of their lives... if you show up at a shop with some flash that they haven't seen on 3/4 of the pages of every tat mag out there they will be much more likely to buy it, or want it tattooed on them for that matter... try looking on the net for a guy named chucho (sorry, i don't remember where he's from) but he does a lot of new school trad. but with different subject matter... in tattoo mag. a few months ago they had a full page of a "holy moldy sandwich" he did on some guys leg... he's just the first guy i can think of, but there are plenty of people out there doing this style of tattoo work without doing the same swallow, dagger, or cherries over and over again...

best of luck to you though, in whatever you end up drawing... have lots of fun with it! :king:

6. j3di

j3di Member

i hear you...im not trying to make my own flash...basically im just studying colors and whatnot...im trying to get into an apprenticeship at lark tattoo in l.i. but iwant to have a little more depth in my portfolio yadda yadda...plus buhzillions of my freinds are always asking me to draw shit for them and the mojority of what they want is the new olschool style...

if you know any other sites with alot of innovative artwork drop it here...thanks for the help.

7. vinyl junkie

oh... well ferget what i said... for an aprenticeship some recognized work is definitely good... best of luck to you, i hope you can get it (more tattooers need to actually aprentice instead of just picking up a machine and going for it)... i'll put up some sites for you in a bit... good luck!

8. vinyl junkie

check out cleen rock one's work (i think chucho's there too, but i don't see him on the site...:confused: ): http://www.topnotchtattoos.com

new skool in san jose (my buddy's rockin the darth maul paco did): http://www.newskooltattoo.com/

ed hardy's tattoo city... ed hardy is one of the O.G.s... everyone at this shop does what yer talking about, although all of them are focused a little more on trad. japanese rather than american, but it's all still there: http://www.tattoocitysf.com/

seth cifferi and read street tattoo... excellent tweaked trad: http://www.readstreettattoo.com/

there's plenty more if you want it

9. imported_xhobox

imported_xhobox Member

yeah... chucho isn't tattooing anymore... he's doing murals and stuff... he's one of the best tattooers i'vemet and a really cool guy... he used to tattoo at top notch though... actually the sandwich you're talking about is on this guy i work with's leg... it's pretty cool... he's very innovative with how he runs his machines... it's hard to watch him tattoo because it's like impossible to understand how he does it... he doesn't have much flash out...

my mentor always said to look for nontattoo related material for ideas... the most important thing to get is referance materials... that's all i know.

10. vinyl junkie

that sucks... during the "really bad work in all the magazines" slump over the summer, the sandwich saved me from countless days of boredom sitting around the shop.

11. When

When 12oz Loyalist

i dont have tattoos myself but alot of my friends do and they say that they would never get a piece of flash put on their skin, is it just them or is this widespread thought?

12. vinyl junkie

i'd like to think that this is widespread thought, but after working in a shop, and spending a lot of time in the tattoo community, i realize it really isn't... (there's way too many girls rockin the exact same butterfly... among many others)

13. When

When 12oz Loyalist

ive seen alot of girls around here with the same heart that i guess would be new oldschool style and it always on the small of their back... what do people have against being original?

14. RaiD

RaiD Guest

whats up with the swallows i see alot of punks with those?

15. imported_xhobox

imported_xhobox Member

i personally see flash as not such a bad thing... depends on who drew it... if you really want that pegasus from cherry creek you might want to check yourself... but i'm a big fan of sailor jerry's flash, his pinup girls are classic.... i've got some tattoos that were turned into flash by the guy that tattooed them... i don't think that they aren't original or anything at all....

the bassis behind tattooing is that the reason why things are tattooed over and over again is because the imagery works and it looks good... i personally like the old sailor style tattoos... and when i look at alot of the stuff cleen does i think it looks kind of "off".... same with guy aitchisen.... i think they are awesome tattooers but i hate the shit they draw.... seth cefferri, adam barton, harlen thomas, paco excel, and ed hardy are some of my favorite tattooers just so you know where i'm coming from...