tarantula help

imported_dowmagik

this is sort of a random question, but oh well. i racked a tarantula from a pet shop the other week and cant get the shit head to eat anything. i bought him a mouse but the mouse scared him and he wouldnt bite it or anything, he just shook his ass at it. i bought some crickets and he wont eat them either. i had a tarantula when i lived on the coast and it would eat like 4 crickets at the same time - have them hanging off his fangs n shit. but this turd wont eat a thing. im about to just dump him in some store. anybody know how i can make this fucker eat?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

FOOD AND WATER

Tarantulas are predators and will eat just about any living animal they can capture and kill. Crickets, most beetles, grasshoppers, earthworms, moths, and other animals are acceptable. Larger tarantulas sometimes eat small snakes, lizards and mice. Avoid wasps and bees, since they could harm the spider, and do not use insects from areas that might be sprayed for pests. Some tarantulas will occasionally scavenge, and you can offer a small dead minnow or piece of steak. You should not offer food every day. Feeding once a week is enough, and larger spiders can be fed every other week. Spiders will not overeat. Removing uneaten food after a day or so will help keep the cage clean. If your spider looks and acts healthy, but stops feeding for a week or two, do not be alarmed. This is normal and may indicate an upcoming molt.

A plastic jar lid or similar container can be a good water dish, and putting in a few small stones will let the feeder animals crawl out should they fall in. If you use a piece of sponge keep it clean, and do not use cotton (it can get caught in the spider’s mouth). Keeping the water dish filled also helps maintain the cage humidity. Many tarantula keepers spray the substrate with water once a week or so to maintain required humidity.

Like all other arthropods, tarantulas molt their exoskeleton periodically. The tarantula generally stops feeding for a week or more, and then usually turns over on its back. The old exoskeleton splits, and the spider works it off and then flips upright. Finally, the new exoskeleton enlarges and hardens. It will be several days before this last part is complete, and the spider does not eat, nor should it be handled, during this time. So, if you happen to see your tarantula lying upside down, DO NOT touch it - tarantulas do not die naturally on their backs. To help insure a successful molt remove any live food, mist the substrate with water to increase humidity a bit, and make sure the water dish is full.

Does it look healthy or does it look like its dying?

funny tarantula story:

i had this tarantula named mickey mouse (don't ask) who ate crickets like crazy. well one day i startled a female friend of mine with it, whowas talking on the phone at the time, and threw the phone at the tarantula, breaking one of its legs. this limited its mobility, and it was not able to go after the crickets to eat em. well after a few days, the crickets rebelled, attacked the crippled tarantula, and ate him alive, leaving only pieces of a hollow shell. it was a very sad and repulsive situation. so i set the terarium on fire with the crickets still inside. :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by Weapon X

This thread just made my day. First, the whole racking a tarantula thing, then the Bozack story.

Oh man, i know....this is probably my most favorite thread since the fall of ILoveUnicorns.

Now for the real question: HOW DID THE TARANTUALA GET RACKED?

this thread is great..it reminds me of the time i caught a feild mouse and tried to keep it but my grandma wouldn't let me keep it so i kept in a shoe box in my truck for a couple days then it died...I buried him in a snow pile...god i miss mr.twinkles...

I once poured a bottle of bleach down a yellow jacket nest in the ground. When my cousin and i dug it up the next day, it have chemically burned the shit out of everything in the nest...yellow jackets melted into one another...partially dissolved wax cells, the stench of bleach....to this day the smell of bleach takes me back to that summer day....

Anyway, HOW DID THE TARANTULA GET RACKED DAMNIT?

when i was a kid these fucked up black and yellow salamanders would swarm through my backyard whenever it rained. so one time, me and my buddy gathered up as many as we could get into the five gallon bucket i found in my garage. we treated them like pets for about four days, giving them food and water and shit. we just gave them leftovers from dinner and dog food and shit, we had no idea what we were doing, then we just forgot about them entirely. my mom found them like six months later, all decayed and stuck together in this fossilized lump in the shed in my backyard.

turns out they are an endangered species.

how did you rack a fucking tarantula? most pet stores keep that shit in a locked cage.

Originally posted by LENS

I once poured a bottle of bleach down a yellow jacket nest in the ground. When my cousin and i dug it up the next day, it have chemically burned the shit out of everything in the nest...yellow jackets melted into one another...partially dissolved wax cells, the stench of bleach....to this day the smell of bleach takes me back to that summer day....

Anyway, HOW DID THE TARANTULA GET RACKED DAMNIT?

^^hahahaha

once when i was like 10 i found a toad and it pissed all over me, which made me real mad. so i stuck it in a milk jug, poured in a bit of gasoline, and set the bitch on fire. 5 minutes later i had a dead toad preserved in melted plastic.

Archived