talk of pirates...

vinyl junkie

meatfaceski: whats up man

vinyl junkie: just talkin about pirates...

meatfaceski: real pirates

vinyl junkie: yes and no...

vinyl junkie: there's a lot of people that were thought to be pirates, but were really hired by a country to act as a pirate toward another, specific, country... they're buccaneers... they don't count in my book...

meatfaceski: whats the difference between a buccaneer and a mercanary?

vinyl junkie: nothin much... but real pirates had a fuck em all the same attitude... that's why i like them more than buccaneers...

vinyl junkie: oh, and buccaneers refers specifically to going's on on the ocean...

meatfaceski: whats a swashbuckler?

vinyl junkie: a swashbuckle is a round sheild with a spike in the middle... a swashbucler is someone who uses one of those...

meatfaceski: and a morning star?

vinyl junkie: not sure... i should know that one...

meatfaceski: i think its like that spiked metal ball on a chain connected to a pipe

vinyl junkie: that's a mace... wait, maybe yer right... a mace is a solid ball i think, not spikey...

meatfaceski: no no

meatfaceski: a mace doesnt have the chain

vinyl junkie: no?

meatfaceski: its can be solid or spikey

meatfaceski: connected to the pipe or whatever

meatfaceski: http://www.medieval-weaponry.com/media/2608.jpg

vinyl junkie: well fuck... pirates didn't use em so they don't matter...

meatfaceski: http://www.medieval-weaponry.com/media/2605.jpg

meatfaceski: thats a flail

meatfaceski: not a morning star

vinyl junkie: that's a flail?

vinyl junkie: do you know the difference between a flailing and a whipping?

meatfaceski: no clue

vinyl junkie: a flailing is when the whip is repeatedly and quickly hit across the back in a side to side kinda way... a whipping is when you can count the lashes... all slow like...

meatfaceski: whoa i guess a morning start has two or more of those spiked balls on chains

vinyl junkie: ouch...

meatfaceski: thats an iffy weapon

vinyl junkie: but again, if yer a pirate, all you need is blades and projectiles... and occasionally a swashbuckle if yer pimp...

meatfaceski: true

--------------------------------

i like pirates...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, 1st... the mace was NEVER a pirate weapon...

AND

No pirate EVER has been known to fly the Skull and Crossbones on a field of black... if you want I can open my historical tomes and drop some knowledge about what pirates flew what flags but that will have to be on the morrow... and someone could probably beat me to it using the internet I guess...

I wonder what you think a 'pirate tattoo' looks like...

Among the more common tattoos of pirates was the "open eyes" don't in all fashion, from crude one colors to multi-colored detailed work... this tat was 'eyes' tattooed on the eyelids, I think the idea was pretty much an attempt to prevent robbery and rape...

Originally posted by Smart

well, 1st... the mace was NEVER a pirate weapon...

AND

No pirate EVER has been known to fly the Skull and Crossbones on a field of black...

first, yes, i know...

AND

BULLSHIT!!! while the skull and crossbones was more likely to be seen on a feild of red, it was occasionally flown on black as well... however, the skull and crossbones wasn't that common to begin with... a skull with crossed swords was a little more common... but the most common flags were: a skeleton with an hourglass in one hand and a dagger stabbing a bleeding heart in the other this was on red or black backgrounds) and a plain red or a plain black flag...

also, if you wanna get into the pirate vs. buccaneer vs. privateer debate, people such as captain kidd (who was actually more of a pirate hunter than anything else) flew black skull and crossbones a lot...

i don't have any of my books at the moment, but if i did :shakes fist:

so take that mr. smart(ypants)

Originally posted by IntangibleFame

You and your knowledge...bah...

no, I'm just sayin... I do have knowledge of dope pirate tats but I am very near to sleep (3 fingers left in the 40) and I'm not gonna go into it tonight, still, if you're serious I can provide some leads on some dope stories that might lead to 'original' imagery or some actual descriptions on flags/emblems for some quick flash...

i used to think pirates were cool until i found out they were all into sodomy. think about it: a bunch of guys on a ship, together, long voyages=butt pirates. there weren't wenches all over the place. just a bunch of male pirates. that sucks. bugs bunny as well as many other childhood cartoons made pirates look cool. i'm disappointed.

Vinyl, you are almost entirely wrong...

I am correct about the skull and bones, you are correct about the repetition of some symbols but you are wrong about your belief that these were oft repeated in the same form... pirates weren't a bunch of biters, EVERY ship had it's own coat of arms... the skeleton and hourglass was repeated on red and black (no dagger, no heart), however, but I will have to crack a book to name the 2 Capt.s...

ahh smart... i hate you... i spent 2 weeks reading nothing but pirate books last month, in addition to everything i already owned/read... the book "under the black flag" states 2 specific ships that flew the black skull and crossbones, and the skeleton/hourglass/dagger/heart was flown on many ships... not all in the same configuration, and definately not the same design, but the same concept and meaning... also, all of those 4 parts were used seperately or in conjuction with other symbols in other flags...

I would be interested to know the names of these two specific ships... and, I misspoke a sec ago and don't fault you for following my lead, but... I meant, ships come and go but Capitans is where it's at... still, I get your meaning, so, what were the ships?

you don't have to do this now, I won't crack a book until the sun is about to go down again, but I like this argument... mostly friendly and informative to outsiders, you know...

Originally posted by Smart

but I like this argument... mostly friendly and informative to outsiders, you know...

yes, very informative....

only on 12 oz would i ever think i'd hear people arguing about the flags that pirates flew. props to the smartie pantses

ok, DON'T get up again to reply but...

What female capitan, sorry to be a stickler about names, but that's how history works... and then, speaking of history, when did she actually operate.. I'm thinking of the 'heyday of pirates' in the old sailing ships days... there has never been a time when piracy hasn't existed (got a boat full of stuff? Well, I'm taking it!)...

Still...

the beer, she is gone...

i got it! lady cheng, formally known as Cheng I Sao (Ching Yih Saou)...

she operated in the early 1800's, and, i believe, commanded one of the largest pirate fleets in history...

the chinese government eventually convinced her to "hand in" her fleet, which only kinda happened, but at this point her career as a pirate pretty much ended... but for a short while before being disbanded, she flew a white skull and bones on a black field...

well, what people commonly refer to as "pirates" actually can be broken down into 3 main groups.

corsairs-british fleets whos main purpose was to steal spanish ships and settlements. the matees here were usually soldiers n stuff. these dudes would give thier gains to the british crown.

pirates- these would rob any ship they could get there hands on. they were composed of mostly thieves n adventurers. thier purpose was mainly self serving.

bucaneers- these dudes tended to hang around pirates, however, they were not violent and kleptomaniatic like pirates. these dudes had a base of operations on turtle island, where they wopuld trade meat + leather

(the french word boucan means broiled meat), because pirates also had a base of operations on turtle island, bucaneers where considered to be the same violent sort as pirates, but they werent.

I don't want to get jumped on for my uncertainty, but I remember reading that the tradition of wearing the one gold earring was for securing a burial if your body was washed up on shore after a shipwreck. Anyone else ever heard about this?

p.s. My dad was arrested for piracy once.

Archived