1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

SYSTEMA . Russian Martial Art

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Pilau Hands, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Pilau Hands

Pilau Hands Guest

SYSTEMA . Russian Martial Art

Discussion started by Pilau Hands - Mar 11, 2004

So I only know as much about this as I've learned in conversations with my uncle and from reading about it. The super diehard guys believe that they're doing the martial art of King David...I have no idea how they get to that point, but anyway...

Systema is the martial art of the Russian Special Forces, and it is by far one of the most ridiculously badass things I've ever seen. It's not Tiger Schulman's Karate class. It's an entire life system complete with diet, training, meditation, breathing, dousing (pouring ice cold water over your body twice a day)..

It's been around a very long time, but in serious organized practice, I think it goes back to Stalin. Communist Russia outlawed martial arts to prevent uprising, but Stalin's bodyguards learned this stuff. The teacher of the man featured in the first clip learned from them and has been practicing since he was 5. Most of this is in the History section I think.

If any of you besides Mammero have seen the Detours video, you know the really loose guy who looks like he's a ball with four springs attached to him...that's how these guys move. It's so relaxed...kind of reminds me of if gorillas had a martial art. It's so simian. The types of movements they do are pretty far removed from karate and the straight forward striking styles. Sometimes it slightly resembles Aikido, but that, in addition to the Detours video, is they only time I've seen movements like it. From what my uncle has shown me, the punches are largely hammer like, and in addition to hurting like hell, they knock the crap out of you. Watch these videos, and like many people you might be thinking why does that guy move so strangely when he gets hit. Well after getting hit that way, you'd have no fucking doubt that this shit is real. It's nice for some of these guys cause it also teaches you how to receive blows. On another website they have the heavyweight champion boxer of the UK just wailing on this guy Vladimir, and it does nothing. They've put gracie jujitsu guys on the floor with these guys, and all they can do is laugh, you can't hold em, they just wriggle out of it. Breathing and movement...something. You can come flying across the room and hit this guy and he just shakes it off. Basically you have to get their system of movements down, and you can defend yourself with anything around you.

This is about as jedi as I've seen. At a seminar, one of my uncle's students witnessed a practitioner pull people off balance from like 20 feet away by "pulling their energy towards him". Also, when a guy was told to try to tackle him, the practitioner made a downward motion toward the guys back, and he just collapsed to the ground...

When they do in the clips is what they call martial play, they learn the movements very slowly and precisely, and only speed up later. In the first clip, that's about 30% of that guys speed. From what I'm told, there are more people in America and Canada practicing this style than actually practicing in Russia.

Anyway, worth looking at, enjoy.

http://66.39.41.185/home.php

http://66.39.41.185/catalog/video/c...K%20f-work1.wmv

http://66.39.41.185/catalog/video/c...nst%20blade.wmv

http://www.russianmartialart.com/catalog/v...tudens'work.wmv

http://66.39.41.185/catalog/video/clips/nc.wmv

http://66.39.41.185/catalog/video/c...scow%202003.wmv

2. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- 12oz Veteran Member

--zeSto-- - Replied Mar 11, 2004

There's a few classes teaching 'the system' in my city.

Apparently they cater to people who are in the security industry. Rent-a-cops, club bouncers, security guards and the like. I know that some of the schools offer a 'quickie course' for simple self defence to anyone who's interested. It's a weekend long training course that says it can teach you to deal with real life situations. Certainly you're average karate class doesnt cary over to the street as well as some people might think, but this style is made just for brawlers.

there's also a similar bad-ass fighting school from Isreal.

http://fight2survive.com/Default.aspx

--zeSto-- - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  3. test pattern

test pattern 12oz Elite Member

test pattern - Replied Mar 11, 2004

this is vey weird.
    my little brother was telling me this morning about how our ninjitsu sensi knows a guy that teaches russian martial arts and his name is Vladimir

maybe is hould look into it?

test pattern - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  4. imported_Tesseract - Replied Mar 11, 2004

I aint no sputnik but please believe i can drop hammer-style punches in your face and make you shake like tiramolla hahahahaa...

seriously, that shit is wicked

5. GLIK$

GLIK$ Dirty Dozen Crew

GLIK$ - Replied Mar 11, 2004

I was considering studying this as my next martial art.

I think it's a really solid application for a guy my size because it involves a lot of body mechanics.

It would help with the wide spectrum of martials I hope to one day have mastered.

GLIK$ - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  6. MANIK DEK

MANIK DEK 12oz Member

MANIK DEK - Replied Mar 11, 2004

i have a black belt in kickin' yo ass:D

MANIK DEK - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  7. Hotpocket

Hotpocket 12oz Junior Member

Hotpocket - Replied Mar 11, 2004

out of hand, awesome

Hotpocket - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages:
  8. freeque

freeque 12oz Senior Member

freeque - Replied Mar 16, 2004

I train under the guy doing the punching and he confirmed to me that he was punching as hard as he could, so hard that he ended up skinning his knuckles. (He was Thai Kickboxing champ, not boxing champ, by the way).

His exact words were "they are on another level out there".

Believe me, I have felt his punches and that man should have been on the floor. I was chatting to a friend of mine - who is a retired underground fighter - and he mentioned that in a real fight situation, you wouldnt have the time to compose yourself to that level, so its use is limited. Don't know it till you try it, though.

This sounds like absolute bollocks to me. That is not what systema is about at all, as far as I can gather. That really is some jedi shit.

That's a typical defence against the "shoot" (what you might call a tackle). Maybe I am misunderstanding, but there is nothing revolutionary about that.

At any rate, I have been told by a guy who has been to Russia and trained with these guys that they are the real deal. Putting all this jedi bollocks to the side, this is good stuff.

Unfortunately, if everyone knows about it there you won't have much of an advantage!

Some more clips for you

http://www.systemauk.com/video.htm

freeque - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  9. villain

villain 12oz Veteran Member

villain - Replied Mar 16, 2004

Hmmm....
    At first I thought, Russian Martial Art? Must be highly scientific with no spiritual. But then you said it went back to king david? So maybe it runs deeper than I thought.
    Looks like a good system. Alot of disarms it looks like.

The reason why alot of westerners think like this is cause they don't have the patience to become one with the system. They think they can memorize the moves and they are good to go. But really you need to get this to the point of second nature so in a time of need it is automatically there without thinking. But if people want to learn simpler systems that's fine I guess. With alot of the older systems though there is such a high degree of fine tuning that is very essential and I think alot of that is lost on westerners with short attention spans.

villain - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  10. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- - Replied Mar 16, 2004

I just found out that the highest 'ranked' instructor outside of russia lives in my city.

Vladimir Vasiliev is the name by the way.

11. type R

type R 12oz Senior Member

type R - Replied Mar 16, 2004

Re: Re: SYSTEMA . Russian Martial Art

i would learn it all just to do the clothesline that the guy does in one of those videos.

type R - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  12. villain

Lucky, lucky, lucky you. Wonder how much HIS classes run.

13. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- - Replied Mar 16, 2004

www.russianmartialart.com

$15 for the intro (2 classes)

The fees are based on the average number of classes taken per week, and are very reasonable and flexible. Most people take between 2 and 5 classes per week, and it works out to be just between $4 and $8 per class. However, if you do not wish to sign up on a regular course of training or are only visiting the school, the fee is then $15 Canadian per any one class (or $10 US).

it's a pretty far trek for me, so I'll stick with my dojo.
    who knows though... maybe I'll give it a shot for an intro.

14. villain

Not bad at all...
    Definately give it a whirl. You might want to tough it out.

15. Don't Panic

Don't Panic 12oz Member

Don't Panic - Replied Mar 16, 2004

Are there any videos of this being used in an actual fight as opposed to just demonstrations?

Don't Panic - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages: