symbols et al...

Guest BROWNer

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_Tesseract

Altough i enjoyed this it pisses me off that he sais aiight all the fuckin time.

It probably has to with me not living in america so any use of that kind of language has a reference into gang movies or ali-g...both really sabotaging the fact that dude totally gives a verbal kickass to the cop.

Guest BROWNer

i personally don't see what's so great about the dude..

i dled a shitload of his stuff awhile ago, and musically

it was IMO pretty flat and boring. without good music

it's hard to care for what the lyrics are sayin', which

apparently is his best asset.

Originally posted by symbols@Dec 9 2004, 11:56 PM

i like the fact that the dude is conscious.

that alone makes it head and shoulders above a lot of music for me.

yeah and if you listen to all or most music played on radio it is specifically anti-conscious.

therefore mister technique says in his music that due to his political consciousness he cant sell a million records or get onto some massive corporate label who wants to change his entire idea..

i'm actually seeing him tonight at the Knitting Factory, as well as a bunch of other artists.

basically, the way i see his music is this... his beats are mediocre at best, and his rhyme structure is very basic, but the guy has stuff to say, which is more than can be said for many 'artists.' also, i think has the potential to get a record deal if he dumbs down his material, but he hasn't (yet, at least)... and i respect him for that. unlike fucking Copywrite, who had lines like "i don't wanna be mainstream, i wanna piss in it"... then gets signed to Roc-a-fella and becomes Mr. Anti-Underground, disrespecting everyone he used to be cool with just for some money...

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by BROWNer@Dec 9 2004, 11:20 PM

i personally don't see what's so great about the dude..

i dled a shitload of his stuff awhile ago, and musically

it was IMO pretty flat and boring. without good music

it's hard to care for what the lyrics are sayin', which

apparently is his best asset.

I'm with you 100%. I can't get into the guy... and when I can listen to what he says, it's no different than, say, what Mr. Lif says when gets political, which in turn, sounds to me like someone rapping off the whatreallyhappened.com site.

*As for that clip... best part was when the cop says "Sir, get into the FUCKING vehicle". I almost cheered, sorry if that makes me an asshole.

Guest KING BLING
Originally posted by Herbivore@Dec 10 2004, 09:18 AM

basically, the way i see his music is this... his beats are mediocre at best, and his rhyme structure is very basic

Fuck super intircate rhymes if you handle your simple style well - same rule for graffiti. I had a friend play the 4th branch song for me a year ago and after that it was over:

"This is the information that they hold back from Peter Jennings 'cause Condollesa Rice is just a new age Sally Hemmings"

...Intricate rhymes are only complex because they are vague and speak on more generalized issues. If you have a specific point to make why beat around the bush? Do you have an ideal example you want to present?

Originally posted by KING BLING+Dec 13 2004, 06:38 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KING BLING - Dec 13 2004, 06:38 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Herbivore@Dec 10 2004, 09:18 AM

basically, the way i see his music is this... his beats are mediocre at best, and his rhyme structure is very basic

Fuck super intircate rhymes if you handle your simple style well - same rule for graffiti. I had a friend play the 4th branch song for me a year ago and after that it was over:

"This is the information that they hold back from Peter Jennings 'cause Condollesa Rice is just a new age Sally Hemmings"

...Intricate rhymes are only complex because they are vague and speak on more generalized issues. If you have a specific point to make why beat around the bush? Do you have an ideal example you want to present?

[/b]

i was just saying that the content of his rhymes was really the only thing i liked about him. i don't care much for the beats he uses, and his simplistic rhyme structure doesn't make him any more appealing to me, but he does have some interesting things to say... you have to admit that the presentation of an idea can add to the effect it has on people. if two people say the same thing, but one does it in an innovative way and the other doesn't, of course the one that does it creatively will appeal more (at least to me they will). that's just the point i was trying to make.

HOWEVER... after seeing him at the knitting factory this friday, i can officially say 'FUCK IMMORTAL TECHNIQUE'... because it was the worst show i have ever witnessed. i don't know what the hell was going through the minds of the people who planned that show, but i will never go see him in concert again. while the people before him were performing there was a dj using turntables to play the beats. for some reason that eludes all rational thought, they decided it would be better to just use a discman hooked up to the speakers to play the beats while immortal technique was performing. a FUCKING DISCMAN!... needless to say, the vibration from the bass made the discman skip at least once in every song... causing him to fuck up and blame it on the soundman. he cut at least 2 or 3 songs short because of that, and the rest were just painful to listen to. i mean, come on... why wouldn't you just bring records? and then at the end of the show they had the gall to say "if this was one of the best hip hop shows you've EVER been to... make some noise"... surprisingly, a lot of people cheered. i, however, walked out of there wanting my money back. fuck him for wasting my time and money.

Guest BROWNer

truth be told, i don't really even listen to rap lyrics..

shit sounds all the same to me.

i think the only 'rapper' i listen

to lyrically, where i actually want to try and decipher

the 'rhymes' is doseone..and a few others..

but ONLY if the music is there.

Originally posted by BROWNer@Dec 14 2004, 11:28 PM

truth be told, i don't really even listen to rap lyrics..

shit sounds all the same to me.

i think the only 'rapper' i listen

to lyrically, where i actually want to try and decipher

the 'rhymes' is doseone..and a few others..

but ONLY if the music is there.

decipher? wha? What, you gotta get a decoder to listen to rap? Get some Navajoe windtalker to talk you through a song?

Guest BROWNer

yea but if you've listened to it long enough you should agree

that most rap lyrics are pretty basic, either content wise or flow wise. it's not like immortal technique is the first dude to

rap about being pissed off. and his flow is hardly complex.

that's not to say he has nothing to say or that his raps are moot, i'm just sayin'.....most rappers lyrics go in one ear and out the other they are so simplistic(or just totally played out).