Survey says discontent with U.S. growing

RumPuncher

WASHINGTON - The post-Sept. 11 surge of support and sympathy for the United States is slipping away, according to a major survey of global attitudes released Wednesday by the Pew Research Center.

The organization interviewed 38,000 people in 44 countries.

The director of the Pew Center, Andrew Kohut, said within the mountains of data collected in the survey there was really just one major conclusion. "There are lots of headlines that come out of this report and the biggest one is the slipping image of the United States."

The post Sept. 11 wave of sympathy for Americans has faded away and what's most striking says Kohut, is that it's happened just about everywhere.

"The lower ratings are among NATO nations; they're among nations in Eastern Europe; in emerging countries; and of course most dramatically the declines are seen in Muslim countries."

The war on terror and the threat of war in Iraq have not just turned the Muslim world against the U.S. but made many Muslims actually hate the United States.

Elsewhere views are conflicted and complicated.

There's a deep reserve of goodwill for the U.S., and there's the long-standing envy and admiration for things American. But there's also a strong sense that Washington dictates to the world and even ignores its friends.

Madeleine Albright, who was secretary of state in the Clinton administration, sits on the Pew Center's board of directors, and was not surprised by the findings.

"One of the issues here is that we are the sole superpower, and that in many ways we are viewed as the rich guy living on the hill and being isolated from the rest of the world. I think some of this frankly is we have seen this coming since the end of the Cold War. (There) used to be two superpowers and we divided hatred that exists towards the major countries." Now, says Albright, the U.S. is the only superpower on the block.

President George W. Bush was asked about the survey, especially the growing rage at the U.S. in the Muslim world, and the widespread notion there that the war on terror is a disguise for a war against Islam.

"I hope the message that we fight not a religion but a group of fanatics that have hijacked a religion is getting through. I understand the propaganda machines are cranked up in the international community that paints our country in a bad light. The Muslim world will eventually realize, if they don't now, that we believe in freedom," he said.

The survey had a lot else in it, including the general fact that the world in 2002 is not a happy place. People around the globe believe the world's fortunes are drifting downwards.

There was one exception.

The survey says Canada is the only place in the world today where a majority of people are actually satisfied with their lives

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Kilo7-

WASHINGTON - The post-Sept. 11 surge of support and sympathy for the United States is slipping away, according to a major survey of global attitudes released Wednesday by the Pew Research Center.

The organization interviewed 38,000 people in 44 countries.

The director of the Pew Center, Andrew Kohut, said within the mountains of data collected in the survey there was really just one major conclusion. "There are lots of headlines that come out of this report and the biggest one is the slipping image of the United States."

The post Sept. 11 wave of sympathy for Americans has faded away and what's most striking says Kohut, is that it's happened just about everywhere.

"The lower ratings are among NATO nations; they're among nations in Eastern Europe; in emerging countries; and of course most dramatically the declines are seen in Muslim countries."

The war on terror and the threat of war in Iraq have not just turned the Muslim world against the U.S. but made many Muslims actually hate the United States.

Elsewhere views are conflicted and complicated.

There's a deep reserve of goodwill for the U.S., and there's the long-standing envy and admiration for things American. But there's also a strong sense that Washington dictates to the world and even ignores its friends.

Madeleine Albright, who was secretary of state in the Clinton administration, sits on the Pew Center's board of directors, and was not surprised by the findings.

"One of the issues here is that we are the sole superpower, and that in many ways we are viewed as the rich guy living on the hill and being isolated from the rest of the world. I think some of this frankly is we have seen this coming since the end of the Cold War. (There) used to be two superpowers and we divided hatred that exists towards the major countries." Now, says Albright, the U.S. is the only superpower on the block.

President George W. Bush was asked about the survey, especially the growing rage at the U.S. in the Muslim world, and the widespread notion there that the war on terror is a disguise for a war against Islam.

"I hope the message that we fight not a religion but a group of fanatics that have hijacked a religion is getting through. I understand the propaganda machines are cranked up in the international community that paints our country in a bad light. The Muslim world will eventually realize, if they don't now, that we believe in freedom," he said.

The survey had a lot else in it, including the general fact that the world in 2002 is not a happy place. People around the globe believe the world's fortunes are drifting downwards.

There was one exception.

The survey says Canada is the only place in the world today where a majority of people are actually satisfied with their lives

thats why theres a recorded 2700 people a year crossing from canada to the usa illegally to live here right?

Canada is dope......I like it there,and if I could move up there without a hassle I would.Been there many times,but I didn't like White Rock or Surrey.

Archived