SUPERTHREAD :: computer_problems

Dirty_habiT

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I believe rip said Counter Strike was messing up after he played for a bit. I'd say, update video and sound drivers. Use Windows Update to get the newest service pack. Also, if you always play in the same server, see if the the same problem occurs when playing in another server. You should do a full system virus scan using up to date virus definitions. Defrag your hard drive(s). If all that fails, re install Half Life and Counter Strike. And if that doesn't fix it, go vegetarian.

Mang:

virus scan, use a firewal to block all but the necessary incoming and outgoing portsl.... if you were really hard core, and you found that there was a lame hacker tool like a trojan sending information from your computer, you could submit a complaint to the assailants ISP. Violation the TOS in the billing contract, let alone federal law violation, is enough reason to have termination of service and charges filed. Alot of times there is an "abuse@<domain>.com" that is just for these types of occurances. Alot of overkill, but I said, "If you were hardcore."

Pantelones: if you're trying to do the bios's "low level format" you could try pressing the delete, f10, escape, or f1 key at that boot screen. I'm sure there are other combinations of keys to get into the bios for different computers. One of those up there *should* work though. If you have more than one HD in your computer, and the one you're trying to format is not the one that your winxp is installed on..... you can either right click on the HD in the "my computer" folder, and select format..... or you can go to the dos prompt and use the "format" command. Do "format /?" if you don't know the correct parameters.

Xbox: I don't recognise ".r", but if it was an archive, you can try win rar.... I'm not gonna stop ya.

Mang: Your welcome, and that zone alarm is real good.... I'm sure that pay version could be found on kazaa.... kazaa lite of course.

Originally posted by Dirty_habiT

I believe rip said Counter Strike was messing up after he played for a bit. I'd say, update video and sound drivers. Use Windows Update to get the newest service pack. Also, if you always play in the same server, see if the the same problem occurs when playing in another server. You should do a full system virus scan using up to date virus definitions. Defrag your hard drive(s). If all that fails, re install Half Life and Counter Strike. And if that doesn't fix it, go vegetarian.

ok yeah so i havent been in computer class since last year. where do i find out the drivers i need for sound and video?

Guest --zeSto--

ok....

how come when I'm writing a file without a set end point to a certain workspace on the fiber channel array, it assumes that the file will

max out the entire workspace? Is this just a problem with my mediaNet,

or can this happen to other people.

example:

You're currently doing somekind of download or render or whatever,

and it's writing to a partition of you drive. But then you try to copy a

large file on to the same partition, and the computer wont let you do the copy

because all of the hard drive space has been allocated for the download/render/whatever.

gggrrrrrr....

I mean I'm sitting on a terrabyte here, why wont you let me copy an mp3 ?

Originally posted by --zeSto--

ok....

how come when I'm writing a file without a set end point to a certain workspace on the fiber channel array, it assumes that the file will

max out the entire workspace? Is this just a problem with my mediaNet,

or can this happen to other people.

example:

You're currently doing somekind of download or render or whatever,

and it's writing to a partition of you drive. But then you try to copy a

large file on to the same partition, and the computer wont let you do the copy

because all of the hard drive space has been allocated for the download/render/whatever.

gggrrrrrr....

I mean I'm sitting on a terrabyte here, why wont you let me copy an mp3 ?

ummmmmmmmmmm im probably wrong but write the partition first then copy mp3?

Guest --zeSto--

uhh... thanks but no.

The issue is that a file is being created on a workspace (drive set),

but the computer thinks that the file being created will use up every bit

of space on the drive, so it wont let me put other things on the drive.

but seriously, dont rack your brains about it, I think that it's a much

nigger fix than something I could fix. I'll need the next server update.

Guest --zeSto--

^^

probably the company that made your gear (sony or whatever)

has them on the web site. Otherwise, try the softaware your using to capture.

Their site might have them.

Zesto: I think you killed some of my brain cells with that question. Is it a computer at work? If it is... is there any chance that the admin could've set a policy to keep you from downloading.

Rip: control panel > system > device manager. There you can find who manufacturered your devices.

Guest socrates

When I press the popcorn buton on the microwave it only goes for 3 minutes and 30 seconds, but it doesn't get done all the way. Is there any way that I will be able to change the amount time that button is used for or amI stuck with either cold popcorn or having to do it manually?

How long does it take to cook completely? My microwave has two popcorn settings, for different sized bags. And, I'm not completely sure, but I doubt there's a way to change the amount of time. So I'd say either deal with cooking it the little bit of extra time, or eat an almost done bag of popcorn.

Guest --zeSto--

If it is... is there any chance that the admin could've set a policy to keep you from downloading.

naw... I'm the admin. Downloading may have been a bad example.

It's more specificaly digitizing video footage to a drive set, and then

trying to copy other files to the same set. I think I'll just have to live with it.

Guest angry xbox

Xbox: I don't recognise ".r", but if it was an archive, you can try win rar.... I'm not gonna stop ya.

oh ok but where do i get win rar without having to use the net can i get it on a floppy or in the store?

ok, since this is a superthread i have another question . . .

how can i view the cryllic font on my computer? i want to switch to it, but i'm afraid of getitng my computer stuck that way.

i need to read some russian on here and see how it looks in cryllic.

ok..so my old computer is messed up. i got a refurbished com for free since the technicians didn't know what was wrong with the comp. [thank god my dad bought the extended warranty].

so anyway, in return, they want my messe dup computer.

i'm wondering if it's possible for me to connect my harddrive to somone else's computer and set it up as a secondary. i want to burn and delete a few things before sending it out.

my OS is ME.

should my friend dL anything before connecting my hd to his comp?

www.bootdisk.com ?

Mang: Ok, I'm not real familiar with this kinda stuff, but there is a directory called "windows/fonts". If you place files with the ttf or the fon extension in this folder, they *should* be recognised on your system as fonts, ie. in the MS Word program. There is also an option in your control panel called "regional and language settings". You might dig around in there a bit. I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to switch your computer back to English, as long as you can read Russian good enough to get back to where you changed it. Good luck.

Swif: Yes, take your HD out. There should be a jumper (a little plastic thing that fits over two metal poles) somewhere on it. Look either on the circuit board next to the jumper, or on the label of the HD... see where the jumper needs to be placed in order to be in *slave* mode. If you put your HD in slave mode, you should be able to connect it to your friends comp and it'll boot the OS (since his HD should be set to *master* already) on his HD. There should be two places on the motherboard to connect ribbon cables for HD's (and a third smaller one for 3.5 in drives). They are labled IDE0 IDE1 or IDE1 and IDE2. You either wanna be on the second IDE channel, or you wanna be on the ribbon cable (if it's one that has a connector for more than one HD) after the master HD.

it sounds better in russian .

Originally posted by Mr. Mang

ok, since this is a superthread i have another question . . .

how can i view the cryllic font on my computer? i want to switch to it, but i'm afraid of getitng my computer stuck that way.

i need to read some russian on here and see how it looks in cryllic.

i assume yer running windows ?

go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and you can get :

" Russian Menus and Dialogs for Internet Explorer 6 SP1 "

( 1601 KB/ Download Time: < 1 min )

to uninstall the cyrillic fonts : go to add / remove programs . it should be listed in there .

Archived