Summer reading...

fr8lover

What are you guys reading lately? Emphasis on fiction, but nf stuff is okay too.

I'm reading The Last of the Savages by Jay McInerney right now, and it's a little slower of a read than Bright Lights, Big City or Ransom, but enjoyable.

I got done with Douglas Coupland's Miss Wyoming, and it was one of the better books I've read in a long time. Humor, mystery and pop culture all wrapped into a good two day read.

The only other summer reading I've done so far is The Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson and Generation X, also by Douglas Coupland.

I've kinda got into a rut of only reading these (for the most part) contemporary authors like McInerney, Coupland, Bret Easton Ellis ETC...I get so burnt out on course reading during the school year its nice to get some newer stuff read.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by CrazyLazy

The only books that I read are the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. They're written for kids, but they are darn good.

Well said bro....

Well fucking said.

xxx.sarcasm.sublime.ruca.edu/illestfuckindunever/drunk

*when i type in 3 x's in a row, i mean a drunken something.

Originally posted by CrazyLazy

The only books that I read are the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. They're written for kids, but they are darn good.

The books are in production to be a five part movie series. Huge budget, filming in the same area Lord of the Rings was filmed. Written for kids, but C.S. intended for them to reach everyone. One of the greatest Christian intellectual powerhouses of recent time.

Originally posted by PoutyDuck

The books are in production to be a five part movie series. Huge budget, filming in the same area Lord of the Rings was filmed. Written for kids, but C.S. intended for them to reach everyone. One of the greatest Christian intellectual powerhouses of recent time.

The series they used to show on TV quite a few years ago was pretty darn good. One of my favourite series ever, Chronicles of Narnia is. The only one I never finished reading was the Voyage of the Dawntreader, or whatever. Where Prince Caspian goes out to sea. I’m smart, I read the books, starting with the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, which was book six or nine.

Come to think of it, Pinup, I stub my toes quite often.

That’s cool that you’re a girl and you enjoy Dostoevsky. Nothing against women in general, just I think that’s attractive, so I bet you got guys all over you in real life.

I’ve read some stuff by him, and think he’s awesome. I like Tolstoy, too. Umm…that’s about it for Russian literature, I think…oh yeah, Vladimir Nabokov (sp_) and probably a bit more..short stories are awesome. Women should read Hemingway. At least then, they will understand the man.

wait how did u know i was a chick??

anywho, yes i enjoy tolstoy. i read the death of ivan ilyich just recently.

but hemingway is another story... i haven't really read his stuff, but there is some sort of a "too complex manliness" that i associate with him. if we get i into more poetic peoples, i like margaret atwood... a favorite, "variations on the word sleep." check it out.

also, i recommend joseph conard, heart of darkness, purely for its descriptive nature, which is very appealing to anyone with an artistic sense.

I read one of my mom’s Margaret Atwood’s books *15 years ago. I was too young to fully understand, I’m sure, nor do I remember a thing. She is a very highly touted Canadian, so I have automatic love for her. You know what? You’re right; I promise myself to read some of her very soon. I just hope she isn’t as bad as Margaret Laurence.

lol, I knew you were a girl from a bit ago when you posted a pic, I’m pretty sure. But I’m saying, I don’t remember what you look like – it’s the fact that you read Crime and Punishment, and are down for discussing literature that makes you cool in my books.

Don’t doubt the Hemingway, though. You don’t have to like it, but he really is a revolutionary in the masculine style writing. And believe me, I practically raised my self on that feminine style writing back in the day.

ernest hemigway is a sav

a farewell to arms was so sureal, the entire book made me want to find the love of my life and live seperate from everyone, besides making me want to drink heavily. in fact i drank hella while i was reading the bookl

Archived