Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Suicide at Ground Zero

Discussion in 'News' started by [email protected]#$%, Nov 7, 2004.

1. !@#$%

[email protected]#$% Moderator Crew

Suicide suspected at WTC site
    Friends say man was distraught over election results

Sunday, November 7, 2004 Posted: 9:48 AM EST (1448 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- A 25-year-old from Georgia who was distraught over President Bush's re-election apparently killed himself at ground zero.

Andrew Veal's body was found Saturday morning inside the off-limits area of the former World Trade Center site, said Steve Coleman, a spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

A shotgun was found nearby, but no suicide note was found, Coleman said.

Veal's mother said her son was upset about the result of the presidential election and had driven to New York, Gus Danese, president of the Port Authority Police Benevolent Association, told The New York Times in Sunday's editions.

Friends said Veal worked in a computer lab at the University of Georgia and was planning to marry.

"I'm absolutely sure it's a protest," Mary Anne Mauney, Veal's supervisor at the lab, told The Daily News. "I don't know what made him commit suicide, but where he did it was symbolic."

Police were investigating how Veal entered the former World Trade Center site, which is protected by high fences and owned by the Port Authority.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/11/07/ground.ze...e.ap/index.html

2. RIP Veal...thats fuckin sad in everypossible way

3. ledzep

ledzep Junior Member

damn and I thought I was bummed.

4. villain

villain Veteran Member

RIP
    Damn that's sad.
    Dude had everything going for him. Guess it really doesn't mean much with Bush in office. We are all going to die anyways.
    Poor guy.

5. ClueTwo

ClueTwo Veteran Member

Statement or Not that was an idiotic thing to do...Best Wishes to his family..

6. CIPHER_one

CIPHER_one Senior Member

wow....thats really upsetting. but, I can't help feel a bit of gratitude. Normally I'd feel guilty about that, and I still do, but I think its obvious that he did this to bring attention to an unjust situation. So gratitude, as well as sympathy, both seem appropriate.

rip

7. SteveAustin

SteveAustin Veteran Member

He drove all the way from Georgia to do this. Thats a lot of time in the car to think about it.

RIP to him.
    Best wishes to his family.
    Strength and the power to go on to his fiance.
    Truly sad.

8. mental invalid

mental invalid Dirty Dozen Crew

9. Cracked Ass

Cracked Ass Veteran Member

Reminds me of the Kurt Cobain copycat suicide. This one is less pathetic, but still, a little perspective goes a long way. I had plenty of good times and painted a lot of trains under the first half of the Bush regime, despite a backdrop of darkness and grimness, and I will do the same for the next four years. The situation continues to worsen, and travel abroad will be more dangerous for Americans, and abortion will return to the back alleys, etc., but there will still be an America sans Bush in 2009 at the latest.
    No need to off yourself.

10. !@#$%

[email protected]#$% Moderator Crew

and more crazy protest:

Man Sets Himself on Fire Near White House

By BRETT ZONGKER
    WASHINGTON (AP) - A man set himself afire Monday just outside a White House gate and repeatedly yelled ``Allah Allah'' after Secret Service officers put out the flames and one held him facedown on the sidewalk.

Alan Etter, spokesman for the District of Columbia Fire and Emergency Medical Services, said guards at the gate quickly extinguished the flames, and the man had second- and third-degree burns on about 30 percent of his body.

The man had burns to his head, back, arms and face but was conscious when medics took him to Washington Hospital Center, Etter said.

``I can confirm that there was an ignitable liquid present on the scene,'' Etter said.

White House doctors joined uniformed Secret Service personnel in administering first aid until the emergency service technicians arrived. They transported the 52-year-old man, who was not identified, to the burn unit of Washington Hospital Center.

Lorie Lewis, a Secret Service spokeswoman, said the man ``set himself on fire on Pennsylvania Avenue on the north side of the White House complex.'' That section of Pennsylvania Avenue was recently reopened to pedestrians after being closed for security.

Witnesses reported hearing screams and seeing a man in flames. The man's right trouser leg was burned.

Afterward, he lay on the sidewalk about 10-15 feet from his partially burned raincoat, attache case and various papers. A fire extinguisher was there as well. Secret Service personnel confiscated the man's items.

A Florida couple with a video camera taped the incident. John and Beverly Beers, tourists from Palm Beach, Fla., say they turned the tape over to the Secret Service. Authorities also interviewed the couple in Lafayette Park.

Jim Clarke of Burke, Va., was walking his dog when the incident occurred. He said Secret Service agents acted quickly and used an extinguisher to put out the flames.

There was no immediate word on the man's condition or what led to the fire. There was evidence of an ignitable liquid at the scene, Etter said.

The Secret Service, which disclosed no additional details, is investigating the incident.

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp.../1616858217.htm

11. 23578

23578 Elite Member

thanks John and Beverly, so are you guys related?

12. villain

villain Veteran Member

Word is this guy who set himself ablaze is a FBI informant who was upset about not being allowed to see his critically ill wife in Yemen. Sad. He even threatened to set himself on fire beforehand.

13. DITDxCULT

DITDxCULT Senior Member

^^^^^
    This didn't have anything to do with the outcome of the election. The man who set himself on fire was an FBI Informant who was distraught over his inability to return to his home in Yemen to visit his critically ill wife. He told the paper by fax and telephone that he was "going to burn my body at unexpected place". He also faxed a letter to an FBI agent in New York who has had contact with him. Read more

..................................................................................................

Something similar to this happened in my city back in June outside of the courthouse.

"An Iranian immigrant whom friends described as ill and worried about his bills set himself on fire just before 10 a.m. yesterday outside the Hall of Justice. Morteza Mehrpou, 48, shouted something repeatedly - witnesses differ on what they heard - and then poured gasoline over himself from a half-gallon plastic jug before igniting it with a lighter."

14. villain

villain Veteran Member

Well he probably wasn't allowed to go see his wife because of Bush.

15. ODS-1

ODS-1 Elite Member

^^^^^
    This didn't have anything to do with the outcome of the election. The man who set himself on fire was an FBI Informant who was distraught over his inability to return to his home in Yemen to visit his critically ill wife. He told the paper by fax and telephone that he was "going to burn my body at unexpected place". He also faxed a letter to an FBI agent in New York who has had contact with him. Read more

..................................................................................................

Something similar to this happened in my city back in June outside of the courthouse.

"An Iranian immigrant whom friends described as ill and worried about his bills set himself on fire just before 10 a.m. yesterday outside the Hall of Justice. Morteza Mehrpou, 48, shouted something repeatedly - witnesses differ on what they heard - and then poured gasoline over himself from a half-gallon plastic jug before igniting it with a lighter."
    [post=3714869]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]
    Yeah I remeber that Iranian guy. He had a sign that said "Who's responsible?"