Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Suggested Reading

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Jose Cuervo, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Jose Cuervo

Jose Cuervo New Jack

I just learned how to read last week.
    I am currently reading YOU SHALL KNOW OUR VELOCITY by Dave Eggers. Interesting book. Check it out if you know how to read like me.

Post favorites and short descriptions if you have a lot of time on your hands like I do.

Sorry if there is a thread like this already.

2. !@#$%

[email protected]#$% Moderator Crew

^^^banned?

anyway, read chuck palahniuk..the fight club guy

3. caL

caL Senior Member

thats all i see that guy post is numbers "first, second"
    i dont really read but my friend said that Chuck Palahniuk
    is a good writer. u know, the guy that wrote fight club.
    check out his other books

4. Don't Panic

Don't Panic Member

Read Douglas Adams- Last Chance to See

I haven't read into it much, only the first thirty or fourty pages while in a book store, and it seems really good (if you like DA). He traveled around looking for endangered animals with one other cat (whose name I can't recall....some scientist/ preservationist kinda guy).

That's the only one I've got for now...

5. j

j Guest

The Wisdom Of Insecurity by Alan Watts

6. KING BLING

KING BLING Guest

Man have you not caught on that this will ultimately lead to you being banned?

Reading:

Hells Angels by Hunter S. Thompson
    The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    A People's History of the United States: 1492 to Present by Howard Zinn

7. Jose Cuervo

Jose Cuervo New Jack

A lot of you have probably read this already, (I hear it's required at a lot of schools) but I just recently read Ishmael by Daniel Quinn for a class. Without sounding like a total hipppie, it really gave me a different perspective on how we live our lives on a daily basis and how selfish most of us are in treating the world like it belongs to each of us.

No, I don't wear patchouli.

8. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

holler.

9. mapo returns

mapo returns Member

i hate when people post bullshit books to make themselves look smart.

Mapo's Book Reviews. I dont read any fiction at all. Fiction is the work of the devil. True shit only please.

Nickel and Dimed - Its a story of a upper middle-class journalist who actually lives and works as a member of the 'working poor'. As a maid, a waitress, etc and lives entirely on her paychecks made from these jobs.

Absolutely American - A book about a journalist who lived among a West Point class from freshmen year until graduation.

Devils Knot - A book about the West Memphis 3. Three boys in West Memphis Arkansas accused of being in a cult which led to the murder of 3 eight year old boys in what prosecutors described as a sacrifice killing. There was no evidence at all against the the 3, yet they were convicted.

10. sadangry

sadangry Junior Member

^^^^Yeah Im not too into non-fiction. Ill read it but it doesnt usually keep my interest, depends on the book, and I do like the way Chuck P. writes. Im almost finished with NEWJACK ByTed Conover, this guy became a CO so he could write about the prison system. Pretty dope book, kind of a slow read. And I just finished 25th hour which I really enjoyed.

11. Vanity

Vanity Veteran Member

can someone suggest something on a bit of an optimistic note, w/ out the corniness of being optimistic? everything i've read recently has been rather depressing... i've turned to my old comic books in the mean time

12. master bates

master bates New Jack

Manchild in the Promise Land I forget who's it by but it's a really good book about a guy growing up in New York

13. Kettiecat

Kettiecat Senior Member

Quotes from my favorite book

Zen and the art of motorcycle mainenance- Robert pirsig

"I never confront them with the question. It's better to just get along."

"There are human forces stronger than logic. There always have been..."

"...to see if in that strange separation of what man is from what man does we may have soem clues as to what the hell has gone wrong in this twentieth century."

"He felt that institutions such as schools, churches, governments, and political organizations of every sort all tended to direct thought for ends other than truth, for the perpetuation their own functions, and for the control of individuals in the service of these functions."

"It was reason itself that was ugly and there seemed no way to get free."

"The best students are flunking. Every good teacher knows that."

"if you really don't care you aren't going to know its wrong. The thought will never occur to you. The act of pronouncing it wrong is a form of caring"

"Schools teach you to imitate."

"To live only for some future goal is shallow."

"The real cycle that you are working on is a cycle called yourself."

14. j

j Guest

word [​IMG]

15. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Veteran Member

Carter Beats The Devil by Glen David Gold
    It's fun, exciting, mysterious and a little bit thrilling
    without all the sap usually associated with the previously mentioned traits.
    It's about a magician in the time of Houdini who gets involved in the
    death of a president, the beginings of the secret service and the battle
    between magicians to out do each other. Really good reading.

It's one of those 'winter-no-sunlight-need-a-smile' books.

-----------------------------

I'm currently readin the Quar'an.
    It's about this Allah guy who knows everything and is all forgiving
    but it's also about how you'll end up in eternal flames if you piss him off.
    Then there's some stuff about how many goats you need to trade for
    you third wife and some stuff like that. Did you know that an Islamic man
    is allowed to marry a Christian or a Jewish woman but an Islamic woman
    cant. I mean they cant marry a non-Islamic man, not marrying another woman. But I bet they dont approve of that either.