1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Sugar and Stevia

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by rubbish heap, Jul 19, 2005.

1. rubbish heap

rubbish heap 12oz Senior Member

Sugar and Stevia

Discussion started by rubbish heap - Jul 19, 2005

First of all, I apologize for the long post. If you just want to know what stevia is, scroll down to the orange text below. Otherwise read on...

I don't really know what prompted me to try to become healthier recently, maybe it was the last trip to the dentist when I was told that I had 12 cavities (all my life I've had relatively perfect teeth). But yeah, I've been focusing alot on nutrition and alternative health and shit like that lately, and maybe you guys know a couple things or are interested in that sort of thing, so naturally I decided to make a thread about it.

So anyways, I thought I'd share a couple things I've researched.

Most people know sugar is bad for you but a lot of them don't realize how much they're consuming daily. You know when you go to a restaurant like Denny's, and there's those little packets of sugar for your coffee? Each of those packages is one gram. When you drink a can of Coke it's exactly the same pouring THIRTY NINE of those packages into a bottle of carbonated water. Obviously you'd never pour 39 of those into your coffee. But yeah, that illustrates the point I'm trying to make.

So yeah, sugar is addictive. Try going a day eating celery, water, rice and shit like that, see if you don't have cravings.

So yeah that illustrates how sugar is bad for you as well.

But there's a really fucking good alternative to sugar: Stevia.

Stevia is this herb that they use to sweeten half of the things in Japan. It's 250-300 times sweeter than sugar, promotes weight loss, prevents diabetes, promotes healthy teeth and gums, and a whole lot of other shit that sugar doesn't. The only con I've noticed is that if you use too much it can have a licorice like aftertaste but I'm not even noticing that anymore.

So basically I've stopped adding sugar to my coffee's and tea's, and add stevia now instead. Besides coffee and tea, water and milk are the only other things I really drink daily. But yeah, it's a good start and I'm feeling better already. So does anyone else know / use this shit / what do you think about it?

rubbish heap - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  2. Abracadabra

Abracadabra Dirty Dozen Crew

Abracadabra - Replied Jul 19, 2005

hippy

Abracadabra - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  3. rubbish heap

rubbish heap - Replied Jul 19, 2005

true day nigga

my citys full of em

4. why write?

why write? 12oz Veteran Member

why write? - Replied Jul 19, 2005

I LICK MY FINGER AND DIP IT IN THE SUGAR MORE THEN ONCE AT A TIME!!!

why write? - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  5. wAndEreR

wAndEreR 12oz Member

wAndEreR - Replied Jul 19, 2005

AND 1 AND 2 AND 3 AND 4 AND GET THEM SIT UPZ RIGHT N TUCK YOUR TUMMY TIGHT AND DO YOUR CRUNCHEZ LIKE THIS..GIVE HEAD STOP BREATHE GET UP CHEK YOUR WEAVE

wAndEreR - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  6. rubbish heap

pulled the same shit when i was 6/

7. rubbish heap

anyways yeah mods, maybe this should be in cross fire?

8. DiptInButter

DiptInButter 12oz Junior Member

DiptInButter - Replied Jul 19, 2005

DAMN, 39 GRAMS!!!!! fuck drinking soda, from now on nothing but water and horchata for me

DiptInButter - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages:
  9. rental

rental Dirty Dozen Crew

rental - Replied Jul 19, 2005

apparently ampm sells horchata now. i was very surprised. mexican food joints takin over...

rental - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  10. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

Dick Quickwood - Replied Jul 19, 2005

interesting

why was stevia banned?

Dick Quickwood - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  11. imported_El Mamerro - Replied Jul 19, 2005

Yup. About the same as a glass of orange juice.

12. Herbivore

Herbivore 12oz Senior Member

Herbivore - Replied Jul 19, 2005

i've been trying to eat healthier myself. i rarely ever eat anything sweet, but i eat (or used to eat) so much salt it was ridiculous. i'd have Mcdonalds 2-3 times a day during college and sausage/egg/cheese's from Dunkin Donuts every morning. luckily i had an amazing metabolism so i didn't gain a pound, but it did a number on my cholesterol and blood pressure. now i just need to start excercising because i'm starting to get a gut.

Herbivore - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  13. SteveAustin

SteveAustin 12oz Veteran Member

SteveAustin - Replied Jul 19, 2005

this sounds like a god awful pickup line I'd use when I was six beers beyond my functioning drunk level.

SteveAustin - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  14. TresOne

TresOne 12oz Member

TresOne - Replied Jul 19, 2005

^^ Hahahahha

So does this Stevia stuff give your coffee or tea a wierd flavour? You mentioned something about a licorice aftertaste if you use too much..

Might have to look into this shit - I'm eating far too much fucking sugar lately..

TresOne - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  15. rubbish heap

http://www.stevia.net/seasonings.htm

So basically the people behind aspartame (which tastes like shit anyways) were lobbying to get it off the market, stevia being a business threat.

I've been drinking my tea's and coffee with stevia for 3 days now and I'm not noticing any weird flavor at all anymore; when I first tried the stuff I just ate it straight and that was the only time I really noticed that funny after taste. But I guess if you mix it up with other shit there's no aftertaste as long as you didn't put in way too much. It's kinda hard to over use the shit tho, it's so much sweeter than sugar so you use less in place of sugar.

Just for reference I'm using a white extract which has more of the 'sweet' ingredients.