study: summer means higher pot use

podrido

By MARTHA IRVINE, AP National Writer

CHICAGO - Summer's almost here and that means teens will have more time on their hands to pick up bad habits — such as smoking marijuana and drinking alcohol, a new federal survey says.

The National Survey on Drug Use and Health found that June and July were the most popular time for teens to try marijuana, with about 6,300 new users a day during those months. That compares with about 4,700 new users a day during other times of the year.

Additionally, the survey found that first-time use of alcohol and cigarettes also increases during the summer, when many teens are less supervised and, particularly in this economy, having trouble finding jobs.

At a Friday news conference in Chicago, White House drug czar John Walters challenged teens and parents to quell marijuana use this summer, noting that the drug has been developed to become much more potent and addictive over the last 20 years.

"You are going to be on the front line of those influences," said Walters, who heads the Office of National Drug Control Policy, addressing a group of Chicago high school students. "But we need adults to stand with you."

Several teens who were present said they understood the risks of drug use, which they learned in their health classes. Still, they know other teens who use marijuana, which they and surveys say is the most common illegal drug taken by high-schoolers. Some said they even know elementary school students who've been caught using it.

"It's definitely a problem," said Julissa Santoy, a freshman at Whitney Young High School, a public magnet school. "We should say something. We shouldn't just mind our own business."

But Maribel Davila, another freshman, also placed responsibility on parents.

"A lot of kids are pushed because there's a lot of stuff going on at home," she said, referring such things as divorce, adults' own addiction issues and other family discord.

None of the students were surprised by the findings. Nor was at least one researcher not involved with this survey who tracks teen drug use.

While its helpful to know when young people are most likely to start taking drugs "the real question is 'What should they do based on that information?'" said Lloyd Johnston, who heads the University of Michigan's Institute for Social Research and oversees an annual national survey of teens called "Monitoring the Future."

The most recent University of Michigan survey, released late last year, found an 11 percent drop in illegal drug use in the past two years. But it also found that, while marijuana use had dropped, nearly half of 12th-graders surveyed said they had tried it at least once — and about a third said they had used it in the last year.

Walters agreed with Johnston that the best way to deter marijuana use is not just to say "Don't do drugs."

To that end, federal officials have begun running advertisements directed at teens that urge them to take a stand with friends who use marijuana and other drugs.

The government has also begun a campaign titled "School's Out — Don't let your teen's summer go to pot," which maps out basic tactics for parents such as setting rules, monitoring a teen's activity and scheduling family time.

At Friday's news conference, YMCA executive director Ken Gladish called the suggestions "fundamental common sense."

He referred to a recent YMCA survey that found 14.3 million young people are unsupervised outside school — a number that triples in the summertime.

Meanwhile, he said, more than half of those teens surveyed said they wished they had access to more supervised programs in their neighborhoods.

:lol: :rolleyes:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Isnt that what the summers about? Getting drunk and higher then a kite?.....Would they rather everyone do that sort of thing during the entire year....Causing kids to get kicked out of school....I know kids drink and smoke during the school session but when the summer arrives it gets way worse.........

Guest sneak

wow, what a surprise...

when kids get a summer holiday they use their time to get fucked! well, props to the US govt. for undoubtably spending a lot of cash on something i would have told them for free.

chant: "Whose taxes are we wasting?"

Im gettin a fat sack tomorrow!!! i also read some study that professors

at UCLA did that said marijuana does not cause cancer, and that it

makes your immune system stronger! heh i think UCLA is where its at!

another night bat flyin high^o^

Originally posted by Im Broke

i also read some study that professors

Yes, it's true...Marijuana does not cause cancer, but smoking anything WILL CAUSE cancer and weakens your immune system....

unless you only eat it or drink tea or tinctures than you are fucking yourself up.

Originally posted by anonymity1

Yes, it's true...Marijuana does not cause cancer, but smoking anything WILL CAUSE cancer and weakens your immune system....

unless you only eat it or drink tea or tinctures than you are fucking yourself up.

you know i never really thought about that... ima have to make some

tea or somethin...

Originally posted by Im Broke

Im gettin a fat sack tomorrow!!! i also read some study that professors

another night bat flyin high^o^

:lol:

those professors were stoned out of thier minds when they made that shit up. UCLA...cali is stoner heaven, you can practicly smoke up any time, any where and not worry about the cops(if they give a shit and decide to bust you its a 25 dollar fine, parking tickets are worse than that)

Originally posted by 8onus

:lol:

those professors were stoned out of thier minds when they made that shit up. UCLA...cali is stoner heaven, you can practicly smoke up any time, any where and not worry about the cops(if they give a shit and decide to bust you its a 25 dollar fine, parking tickets are worse than that)

Depends on what part of california, cops dont exactly take smoking too lightly over here.. however, and this is true everytime ive been caught smoking the cops have simply confiscated my weed ( :rolleyes: wonder if it ever makes it back to the station). Usually and i suppose in some ways your right, the criminal charges are pretty much a joke. I had a friend arrested for selling around 3 Oz who was merely given a slap on the wrist and a small fine by the Santa Monica court.

Yeah, I'm suuure thats the reason its not legal....its far more complicated than that, when we have a substance that kills no one and is illegal and we have legal two substances (tobacco and alcohol) that kill hundreds of people each day.

I think its a gateway drug because they hype that shit up so much

They keep telling us its sooooo terrible and you try it once and you're like hey, this isn't so bad, i feel pretty good. Then you start to believe they were lying to you and they must be lying about all the other shit thats out there and you try that stuff and you're like "hey, this isn't so bad" and before you know it your checking into a methadone clinic.

anywho....do i sense a closed thread?

Archived