Strom Thurmond Assumes Room Temp

Smart

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Thurmond made history by being the first member of the Southern congressional delegation to hire a black aide, and he got a black man appointed to a judgeship on a military appeals court for the first time in South Carolina history. Along the way, he dispensed federal checks for community projects to a long succession of black mayors and county officials.

taken from:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...thurmond_blacks

Originally posted by WISE

Thurmond made history by being the first member of the Southern congressional delegation to hire a black aide, and he got a black man appointed to a judgeship on a military appeals court for the first time in South Carolina history. Along the way, he dispensed federal checks for community projects to a long succession of black mayors and county officials.

taken from:

all politricks... traded in the white sheets for a suit.

not a tear shed here.

Originally posted by WISE

taken from:

"Posted Dec. 17, 2002 -- For the fifth time, Sen. Trent Lott apologized to Americans -- this time on BET -- for statements he made supporting Sen. Strom Thurmond for president during his segregationist years."

ok listen... dude was 100 years old.

Things were VERY different back then.

It fact it would have been incredibly liberal

and leftist to NOT be for segregation. It's not like

he was still pushing for it in the 90's.

You look far enough back in your own family tree and you'll find all types of facists.

Originally posted by Kilo7-

ok listen... dude was 100 years old.

Things were VERY different back then.

It fact it would have been incredibly liberal

and leftist to NOT be for segregation. It's not like

he was still pushing for it in the 90's.

You look far enough back in your own family tree and you'll find all types of facists.

He made those decisions when he was in his 40's and 50's. By that time you should have a pretty good idea about who you are and what you believe in.

During his "Segregationist Dixiecrat" campaign for president in 1948 he said...

"All the laws of Washington and all the bayonets of the Army cannot force the Negro into our homes, into our schools, our churches and our places of recreation and amusement."

^yep... that's a states rights argument... the 'Our' refers to the S. Carolinians and their percieved oppression by the US Govt...

I actually support the argument, and I understand the difference in race relations between then and now. I learned to respect George Wallace from a friend of mine's grandfather, a black man...

Nobody ever taught me to respect Strom Turmond and, I don't believe he EVER changed his way of thinking about the way relations 'OUGHT' to be, though career politicians certainly know which way the wind blows.

Archived