Stop Snitching

I.C.Shadow

BOSTON -- A clothing store owner agreed Saturday to stop selling "Stop Snitching" T-shirts amid concerns the message was intimidating murder witnesses during a surge in violent crime.

Store owner Antonio Ennis, after meeting with Boston Mayor Thomas Menino and outraged community leaders, said he would stop selling the shirts in his store and over the Internet.

"It's the right thing to do," Ennis said.

Antonio Ansaldi Clothing has stocked the shirts since 1999 and sold 300 to 400 a month, he said.

Boston has had 66 homicides so far this year, matching a 10-year high, and police haven't identified a suspect in 70 percent of them. Police say many witnesses fear retaliation, and Menino said the "Stop Snitching" shirts are part of the problem.

At a meeting Thursday, the mayor said he would send city employees into shops to seize the shirts.

Lawyers for the American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts asked Menino to abandon that plan.

That "is a form of official censorship which is fundamentally inconsistent with the constitutional guarantees of freedom of expression," John Reinstein, legal director for the ACLU of Massachusetts, said in a statement.

stopsnitch_tshirt.gif

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two officers on city force charged in drug deals

Policemen are mentioned by name as 'in the game' in 'Stop Snitching' DVD

Originally published May 12, 2005

Two Baltimore police officers described as being "in the game" in the infamous Stop Snitching DVD were charged by federal authorities yesterday with robbing criminals, selling confiscated drugs and pocketing the profits.

The arrests served as the latest fallout from the street-level distribution of a homegrown video that unabashedly promoted the city's drug trade and threatened those who would dare testify against its purveyors.

Officers William A. King and Antonio L. Murray were mentioned by name in Stop Snitching, said city Police Commissioner Leonard D. Hamm. At a news conference yesterday, Hamm said: "I think the people who were on that video, if you've seen that video, were so brazen in all of their actions, why not" mention the officers' names?

King, 35, of Baltimore, and Murray, 34, of Abingdon, each joined the city Police Department in 1992 and last worked in its public housing crime unit. Last night, both were in federal custody.

"These corrupt police officers betrayed their shields, their fellow officers and the citizens they were sworn to protect," interim Maryland U.S. Attorney Allen F. Loucks said. "In bringing this indictment, we will ensure that these defendants will be brought to justice, and that the unlawful conduct of these rogue cops will not tarnish the reputation of their honorable fellow officers."

Stop Snitching started modestly on the streets of Baltimore, selling for as little as $10.

But when discovered by authorities late last year, the amateur production quickly became a powerful symbol of loudmouthed lawlessness in the city.

It tarnished the reputation of a Baltimore-bred professional basketball player who made an appearance in the video. Yesterday, NBA star Carmelo Anthony apologized, saying he would appear in a government-sanctioned video to counter the impact of Stop Snitching.

Stop Snitching also served as a rallying cry in Annapolis this year in the successful effort to strengthen the state's law on protecting witnesses from intimidation. Its ripple effects also buffeted the Police Department. Just this week, officials issued the Keep Talking DVD, their own response to Stop Snitching in the hopes of reassuring a wary public that drug dealing and witness intimidation could be put in check.

Four people who appeared in Stop Snitching have also been charged. The latest, Van A. Sneed, 29, was picked up April 30. In the video, he appears to smoke marijuana, and calls snitches "cowards."

Officer Hikeen Crampton described Sneed's arrest yesterday. Crampton said he was working in plainclothes in West Baltimore when he spotted Sneed and another man carrying bags of suspected drugs.

As police approached the men, they fled, and Crampton grabbed Sneed. "As I turned him over, I realized he was one of the dudes from Stop Snitching," Crampton said.

Police said Sneed was charged with possession with intent to distribute heroin and distribution of heroin. He posted bail and was released from the Central Booking and Intake Center.

However, all of those efforts to counteract Stop Snitching took a serious hit yesterday when the Police Department saw two of its own placed behind bars.

It's a sweeping statement, but you know what I mean. White people will run, call the police and give them testimony for days.

A black kid will get killed at a basement party in front of hundreds of people, and police will have no leads.

One good thing about doing graffiti in areas densely populated by yellow or brown people is that they won't tell police. Hell, my gramma from India told me to never, ever talk to the police because in the end, they're out to get everyone. Almost totally true.

Yeah, true, true. I meant in regards to calling the cops after witnessing a crime, which I guess can be called performing your civic duty, rather than snitching.

No matter what, there are weak people all over the place. But you dun know that a kid who grows up in a fancy house is more likely to be scared to go to jail and sell out his co-accused in the interrogation room.

yeah, i think what weapon x is describing is heroes like people who have no reason to inform on somebody but do ity out of spit or whatever the fuck.

white people are suaully the perpetrators of such things.

but as far as actual snitching goes i think it still holds true to some extent. because when people who are "hood" or minorities snitch and people back home hear about that its open season on them.

I doubt the same is true in like a white community.