Stencils

[mania]

so ive seen a decent amount of stencil work here @ 12oz. I searched but there isnt a designated thread, so... here it is.

Dont come in here just hating and dissing stenciling. Lets try to keep the graff v. stenciling arguments down to a minimum. if u cant stand stencils then just stay out. remember that there are plenty of graff artists who do stencils and/or incorporate them into their own work. DAIM and BORF are widely regarded as great graff artists and both use stencils to one extent or another. DAIM often uses them to sign his work and the front cover of his new book is a stencil. Granted, BORF is not an amazing graff artist, but no one can deny that he gets up both through stencils and tags. There are also many highly regarded stencil artists in the graff community who do not write but are respected as being masters of their art form: BANKSY, Logan Hicks, HAHA, NEMO, and many others like them. (i know im forgetting lots of stencil artists so add 'em if u want)

remember: to each his own

'nuff said.

here are some of mine. i recently finished two pieces but i sent them off to a show before i took pics of them so all i have left are these crappy old ones.... oh well. i will get some street pics as soon as i get time and get my camera working again.

lantern

img11203ug.jpg

train

img11252sg.jpg

this was a test spray (yes i hate the background too)

img11273rw.jpg

ghetto blaster

img11290by.jpg

close up cuz u cant read the lettering in the 1st pic

img11322cq.jpg

img11451ve.jpg

tbone close up

img11471rx.jpg

Shouting

img11341hz.jpg

ghetto blaster dead can (cuz i got bored)

img1097sm4fb.jpg

eyes dead can (boredom induced again)

img1025small3cp.jpg

i will have more pics soon.

also. i know that there are some SR heads here @ 12oz who have done some great work.. hope to see all of u posting pics.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i pretty much do stenciling while my friends are the people who go out and tag... sometimes bother me to get my stuff up on the walls.

at least now there's a specific place for the work i do. :love:

and you got some good stuff up there mania.

not bad hana. its a good start. i would suggest using some spray adhesive to prevent all that nasty underspray. in my opinion, stencils look better when they are sprayed on the streets rather than on stickers but i realize that putting up stickers is much easier and can usually be done during daylight. work on ur cuts too. see if u can get them more detailed and cleaner.

if ur into stencils, u should check out www.stencilrevolution.com

the forum and gallery is down right now because thet're changing servers or something but it should be back up in a few days. @ SR u can find some good tutorials and advice/tips. the gallery is a good place to showcase work and receive crit as well.

peace

mania

where u @ Melo? and MAR lurks here too doesnt he? lets see some tight shit.

INSOM: that first one is awesome, handrawn isnt it?

haha RD is on 12oz too. driven here since SR has been down? nice stencil. i was wondering, do u use an exacto or one of those heat tools? i thought that u said u used some sorta heat tool for that frankenstein piece. and those stickers look similar to that. awesome work.

thanks for that site mania, it's awesome..

and yeah sprayin em on stickers is a lot easier to get up. need to work on the cuttin...

but hopefully when i get to finish this larger stencil, i can get something up and it'll look like somethin worth lookin at.

lookin forward to see everyone elses work.

Just gettin into the stencil game after 15 years of writing graff.

How do you get all of those dimensions in your stencils, do you

use multi layered stencils. What type of material are you using.

My friend has a vynal cutter he hooked me up with vynal sticker paper.

The only one I have done thats any good I used construction paper &

duct tape, kinda crude but it works. Give me some hints anyone.

That stripe gremlin is dope did you layer that or stencil the primary

colors then use markers to give it dimension, help a brotha out.

Originally posted by ..::RD::..+Dec 20 2005, 06:48 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (..::RD::.. - Dec 20 2005, 06:48 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>gremmy.jpg

[/b]

so u id that with a heatknife? how does that work out? ive never had any experience witht those. was that a submission for VK3? sry bout all the questions, i should probably know this stuff already. that ia a fucking nice stencil though.

<!--QuoteBegin-HIGHTOP@Dec 20 2005, 10:56 AM

Just gettin into the stencil game after 15 years of writing graff.

How do you get all of those dimensions in your stencils, do you

use multi layered stencils. What type of material are you using.

My friend has a vynal cutter he hooked me up with vynal sticker paper.

The only one I have done thats any good I used construction paper &

duct tape, kinda crude but it works. Give me some hints anyone.

That stripe gremlin is dope did you layer that or stencil the primary

colors then use markers to give it dimension, help a brotha out.

first of all, check www.stencilrevoltion.com for some tutorials. the forum is down right now but u can get advice/tips when it is back up.

the dimensions are from layering (multi layered stencils). u usually create a layer for each color, sometimes several layers are needed for one color depending on the complexity of the image.

if u wanted i suppose that u could just add the "dimensions" with a paint marker but that would kinda defeat the purpose of stenciling. if ur gonna do that you may as well just draw the whole thing.

there are many different ways of making a stencil. many use photoshop and there are different techniques that can be used to get different results and u can alter how many layers and colors. i have always done it the old school way, this is taking a black and white image, and using a pencil, pen, and white out/paint marker creaing the layers on ur own. this, i find, gives u more control over the final result of ur stencil, but takes alot longer. i admit though, the lantern was done in photoshop just as a quickie stencil and it turned out pretty well. (i followed the SR tutorials). until recently i had not owned photoshop so as soon as i got it i was anxious to do a stencil with it. the lantern was the result. if u cant afford ps or dont want to pirate it. then microsoft word and microsoft paint can be use, atleast for one layer stencils. i have never done stencils this way but it can be done, im just not sure how.

materials: most people use acetate or cardstock. some use vinyl but it seems like it would difficult to cut? there are many different opinions on whether cardstock or acetate is better. it is really up to the individual. i do my stencils the old school way, scan them into my computer, enlarge 'em, and print 'em off with this HUGE printer i have (it prints 22 in. wide). or u could just take the image to kinkos and hace the enlarging/copying done there. i print off one copy for each layer and cut the individual layers out of each copy. when done on normal paper, stencil will not hold up very long so if i want to be able to reuse one, i then trace it onto cardstock and cut it out. i know its alot but it is usually worht all the work.

use spray adhesive to apply the stencils to prevent any nasty underspray. u spray some of the stuff on the back of the stencil, slap it up on the wall, spray ur paint, and the peel the stencil off.

the best way to learn is experimenting on ur own. doing this will help u understand layering and what works/doesnt work for u.

yea lets keep this thread alive.

i was lookin through that stencilopulus or whatever its called thread and alot of the stuff in there is just shit.

SR heads gotta show these graff kids how its done

im working on a piece right now. it should be up in the next couple a days.

lets see some more pics.

Do you use any type of clear coat on the stencil before

applying paint to prevent it from soaking up all of the paint and

tearing or ripping, this is what I herd the vynal was good for, I used

duct tape, It was still hard to hit up and throw it in a trash bag and hit

multiple spots.. Any advice I thought about laminating them after they

were cut. Im trying to bomb with these not just hit one or two spots.

Any advice would be appreciated. What do you keep big stencils in

while they are wet to prevent folding or ripping while bombing????Xacto

the best cutting tool ive came across for intricate stuff, box cutters work

too for bigger cuts. Any onez got any pointers 4 me....

acetate is kinda of like thin plastic shhets. like Flowing Away said, its like like the stuff they out on overhead projectors. google it.

u can usually find it at an art supply store or you can order big sheets/rollls of it.

yea i hope SR is back soon too. should be alot faster when it gets back. it wont screw up everytime there are alot of people on it anymore. i hppe that it doesnt turn into something like the .eps exchange or something with it "coming soon" on it for months. but i have this strange feeling that when SR is back the .eps exchange will be up and running. just a suspiscion though...

lets see some more pics from the SR heads. i should have some more shortly.