Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Stencils

Discussion in 'Paper Chase' started by [mania], Dec 19, 2005.

1. [mania]

[mania] Member

so ive seen a decent amount of stencil work here @ 12oz. I searched but there isnt a designated thread, so... here it is.

Dont come in here just hating and dissing stenciling. Lets try to keep the graff v. stenciling arguments down to a minimum. if u cant stand stencils then just stay out. remember that there are plenty of graff artists who do stencils and/or incorporate them into their own work. DAIM and BORF are widely regarded as great graff artists and both use stencils to one extent or another. DAIM often uses them to sign his work and the front cover of his new book is a stencil. Granted, BORF is not an amazing graff artist, but no one can deny that he gets up both through stencils and tags. There are also many highly regarded stencil artists in the graff community who do not write but are respected as being masters of their art form: BANKSY, Logan Hicks, HAHA, NEMO, and many others like them. (i know im forgetting lots of stencil artists so add 'em if u want)

remember: to each his own

'nuff said.

here are some of mine. i recently finished two pieces but i sent them off to a show before i took pics of them so all i have left are these crappy old ones.... oh well. i will get some street pics as soon as i get time and get my camera working again.

lantern
    [​IMG]

train
    [​IMG]

this was a test spray (yes i hate the background too)
    [​IMG]

ghetto blaster
    [​IMG]

close up cuz u cant read the lettering in the 1st pic
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

tbone close up
    [​IMG]

Shouting
    [​IMG]

ghetto blaster dead can (cuz i got bored)
    [​IMG]

eyes dead can (boredom induced again)
    [​IMG]

i will have more pics soon.

also. i know that there are some SR heads here @ 12oz who have done some great work.. hope to see all of u posting pics.

2. hana

hana New Jack

i pretty much do stenciling while my friends are the people who go out and tag... sometimes bother me to get my stuff up on the walls.

at least now there's a specific place for the work i do. :love:
    and you got some good stuff up there mania.

3. hana

hana New Jack

i have yet to take pics of all my stuff...
    but i got to take a pic of these before i stuck them all up.

[​IMG]

4. [mania]

[mania] Member

not bad hana. its a good start. i would suggest using some spray adhesive to prevent all that nasty underspray. in my opinion, stencils look better when they are sprayed on the streets rather than on stickers but i realize that putting up stickers is much easier and can usually be done during daylight. work on ur cuts too. see if u can get them more detailed and cleaner.

if ur into stencils, u should check out www.stencilrevolution.com

the forum and gallery is down right now because thet're changing servers or something but it should be back up in a few days. @ SR u can find some good tutorials and advice/tips. the gallery is a good place to showcase work and receive crit as well.

peace

mania

where u @ Melo? and MAR lurks here too doesnt he? lets see some tight shit.

5. INSOM

INSOM Junior Member

Sooner or later ill make these real ones...but for now....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. ..::RD::..

..::RD::.. Junior Member

just finished makin this envelope that will be full of stickers to send to a friend...
    [​IMG]

7. dosa312

dosa312 Senior Member

Im diggin these... good ish cats.. to all of you.

8. [mania]

[mania] Member

INSOM: that first one is awesome, handrawn isnt it?

haha RD is on 12oz too. driven here since SR has been down? nice stencil. i was wondering, do u use an exacto or one of those heat tools? i thought that u said u used some sorta heat tool for that frankenstein piece. and those stickers look similar to that. awesome work.

9. ..::RD::..

haha, yeah i had to find somewhere else to go. i use x-acto's, i only used the heatknife to cut those records.

10. Melo -btk

Melo -btk New Jack

sr heads unite! :hatred: :hatred:

11. Inhalant

Inhalant Senior Member

12. hana

hana New Jack

thanks for that site mania, it's awesome..
    and yeah sprayin em on stickers is a lot easier to get up. need to work on the cuttin...
    but hopefully when i get to finish this larger stencil, i can get something up and it'll look like somethin worth lookin at.

lookin forward to see everyone elses work.

13. ..::RD::..

14. HIGHTOP

HIGHTOP Member

Just gettin into the stencil game after 15 years of writing graff.

How do you get all of those dimensions in your stencils, do you

use multi layered stencils. What type of material are you using.

My friend has a vynal cutter he hooked me up with vynal sticker paper.

The only one I have done thats any good I used construction paper &

duct tape, kinda crude but it works. Give me some hints anyone.

That stripe gremlin is dope did you layer that or stencil the primary

colors then use markers to give it dimension, help a brotha out.

15. [mania]

[mania] Member

so u id that with a heatknife? how does that work out? ive never had any experience witht those. was that a submission for VK3? sry bout all the questions, i should probably know this stuff already. that ia a fucking nice stencil though.

<!--QuoteBegin-HIGHTOP
    @Dec 20 2005, 10:56 AM
    Just gettin into the stencil game after 15 years of writing graff.

How do you get all of those dimensions in your stencils, do you

use multi layered stencils. What type of material are you using.

My friend has a vynal cutter he hooked me up with vynal sticker paper.

The only one I have done thats any good I used construction paper &

duct tape, kinda crude but it works. Give me some hints anyone.

That stripe gremlin is dope did you layer that or stencil the primary

colors then use markers to give it dimension, help a brotha out.
    [post=4224455]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/quote]

first of all, check www.stencilrevoltion.com for some tutorials. the forum is down right now but u can get advice/tips when it is back up.

the dimensions are from layering (multi layered stencils). u usually create a layer for each color, sometimes several layers are needed for one color depending on the complexity of the image.

if u wanted i suppose that u could just add the "dimensions" with a paint marker but that would kinda defeat the purpose of stenciling. if ur gonna do that you may as well just draw the whole thing.

there are many different ways of making a stencil. many use photoshop and there are different techniques that can be used to get different results and u can alter how many layers and colors. i have always done it the old school way, this is taking a black and white image, and using a pencil, pen, and white out/paint marker creaing the layers on ur own. this, i find, gives u more control over the final result of ur stencil, but takes alot longer. i admit though, the lantern was done in photoshop just as a quickie stencil and it turned out pretty well. (i followed the SR tutorials). until recently i had not owned photoshop so as soon as i got it i was anxious to do a stencil with it. the lantern was the result. if u cant afford ps or dont want to pirate it. then microsoft word and microsoft paint can be use, atleast for one layer stencils. i have never done stencils this way but it can be done, im just not sure how.

materials: most people use acetate or cardstock. some use vinyl but it seems like it would difficult to cut? there are many different opinions on whether cardstock or acetate is better. it is really up to the individual. i do my stencils the old school way, scan them into my computer, enlarge 'em, and print 'em off with this HUGE printer i have (it prints 22 in. wide). or u could just take the image to kinkos and hace the enlarging/copying done there. i print off one copy for each layer and cut the individual layers out of each copy. when done on normal paper, stencil will not hold up very long so if i want to be able to reuse one, i then trace it onto cardstock and cut it out. i know its alot but it is usually worht all the work.

use spray adhesive to apply the stencils to prevent any nasty underspray. u spray some of the stuff on the back of the stencil, slap it up on the wall, spray ur paint, and the peel the stencil off.

the best way to learn is experimenting on ur own. doing this will help u understand layering and what works/doesnt work for u.