Stencils using a roller...

ccab

I've got a difficult stencil to put up which is going to have to be done using a roller tied to the end of pole.

The stencil's bigger than me - 2m x 2m and access is going to be a problem. There's a deep 2 or 3m trench to be leant across to get to the wall, and on the other side of the wall there'll be people sleeping. Using a roller & fitting it & the stencil to poles seems like the fastest way of doing this - but I've never used one before and I've heard all sorts of bad things about rollers messing everything up.

Is this true? Has anyone got any advice about keeping the mess to a minimum?

Cheers.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by GnomeToys

Yes, unless you like making random people have to pay to repaint their houses.

So what you're saying is hands off anything that isn't public property & unless you can be certain it's public property don't spray it?

I don't agree with that & from the tags & stencils plastering hundreds of private walls just about everywhere I'd say most other artists don't go along with that either.

It doesn't really matter here because this isn't some random person.

So the roller won't mess things up? No special techniques I should know about?

cheers

Originally posted by ccab

So what you're saying is hands off anything that isn't public property & unless you can be certain it's public property don't spray it?

I don't agree with that & from the tags & stencils plastering hundreds of private walls just about everywhere I'd say most other artists don't go along with that either.

It doesn't really matter here because this isn't some random person.

So the roller won't mess things up? No special techniques I should know about?

cheers

Think about it like this: D o you want someone to tag your house with something you don't like? I remember a kid here that would tag people's garbage cans, and some turned out to be writers. Just tag public property and advertisments.

Originally posted by ODS-1

Think about it like this: D o you want someone to tag your house with something you don't like? I remember a kid here that would tag people's garbage cans, and some turned out to be writers. Just tag public property and advertisments.

well you think about this: if you owned a advertisement or paid taxes for your public property, would you want it to be vandalized?

Just use the roller--------- without the stencil.

Or you can just fill it in with a german jumbo, although the

roller is much more quiet if there is people sleeping near by.

This is just a question but--------- if it is going to be that big

does it even have to be a stencil, cant it just be a piece?

I know that was sort of off the subject but I was just wondering.:confused:

Guest imported_b0b

Sekoe seems on the right track. A huge stencil done with rollers sounds like a recipe for disaster if you ask me.

Originally posted by b0b

Sekoe seems on the right track. A huge stencil done with rollers sounds like a recipe for disaster if you ask me.

This is what I'd been hearing, but there's no other way of doing it. The house is slightly below the road and the gap between them is at least a couple of metres. So using the roller on its own attached to the end of a pole won't give me any control over the design. I suppose I could get in close to the wall if I used a ladder, but then getting away would be harder.

So like I say, if anyone who's done anything similar before can give me any tips on best techniques to avoid ending up with something messy I'd appreciate it. I've made a frame for the stencil to make it easier to manage and someone else will be holding this up for me, yeah also with poles - I know it's crazy - but what else can I do? I can't see myself having more than 5 mins to get it done.

I think your ethics & mine don't look alike. For me, if a stencil belongs somewhere, I'm not going to forget it just because someone will have to clean it up.

Ok - if you really want to use the stencil then here is an idea. Get your stencil-- put it up on the wall and use duct tape to hold it in place- only the 4 corners. Once it is up you wont have to hold it and try to paint. It will be held up so when you paint with the roller you could push on the areas that are partially away from the wall without worring about it falling down. This way you can do it alone if you needed to. That is all I can think of now.:idea:

hmm

the entire, dont paint peoples houses vs. paint their houses argument is fucking played out. personally, i wouldnt..but thats my opinion...if someone wants to they will, and this should be the end of that on this thread.

that will be all.

Originally posted by Sekoe1

... use duct tape to hold it in place- only the 4 corners.

That's the original problem, maybe I haven't made this clear enough yet. I can't get near enough to the wall to use duct tape. Cheers anyway. It sounds like the best technique is to just hope it turns out.

this ccab guy slightly gives off the scent of swine.

You should get those paranoid nasal membranes of yours fixed. ;)

and..

i kinda smell a retard actually..

you should stop sniffing your fingers - disgusting habit, that.

Archived