Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

STENCILLING IS NOT GRAFITTI

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by outcastedrebel, Mar 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outcastedrebel

outcastedrebel New Jack

I think stencilling and grafitti are two different things. In stencilling, your not really using any of the principles that grafitti has, namely using a spraycan(duh), tagging, posting up throwups, pieces, etc.

I think Stencilling makes it faarrr to easy and stencils are often used for more conformed forms of art, which grafitti definitely is not. Most of the time, I see Stencils used to bash bush or some other political agenda. I'm not saying that graf shouldn't be political (there are some ill pieces the Tats crew has done against the war), but at the same time most who use stencils don't do it to glorify grafitti.

Graf has evolved, I know, but why the hell should it evolve and include stencils. It sucks mad, it looks corny as hell, give me a can over stencils any freaggin day of the week.

Stencil usage = art school grads/art school dropouts....

Discuss

2. InfamousOne

InfamousOne Member

did u register on 12oz just to tell us this??hhhaa...rookies....

3. sneak

sneak Guest

your saying stencilers dont use paint????

4. SPORTO

SPORTO Senior Member

5. outcastedrebel

outcastedrebel New Jack

Even tho this is the first time I've posted here, I have been checking this site out for some time, I just never felt the need to post anything. However, I'm seeing mad cats use stencils instead of the traditional spraycan, which I think is corny.

Its like in hip hop, DJs gotta use a turntable when they perform. How corny would it look if they were caught using computers, like the DJ from Radiohead does?

And for Infamous...cut the B.S., your not infamous, nobody knows who u are, so stop acting like u an O.G., u lil fag. I am far from a rookie, in fact, cats that don't really know graf and can't use a spraycan to do an ill piece are usually the ones that use stencils.

6. swif1

swif1 Veteran Member

graffiti = vandalism

vandalism = stencils

therefore:

stencils = graffiti

7. Wow, great start to your posting. First some nonsense and then some flaming of other members...

8. hopeizm

hopeizm Member

Its just personal preferance, it is graffiti if you want to look at what the word means...it is writing,it is done illegally and on walls... usually with a more direct sometimes political message...... and also, stencils were around before the days of burners fatcaps skinnys and whatever..........
    Personally stencils are not my cup of tea, id rather do a wildstyle burner.......but for me, it is definatly a form of graffiti...
    Ps.... I went to see cash money last week and he was using final scratch with a laptop, no huge bag of records and you could no way tell the diffrence..... probley saved the guy from a hernia the amount of tunes he played

9. hopeizm

hopeizm Member

Its just personal preferance, it is graffiti if you want to look at what the word means...it is writing,it is done illegally and on walls... usually with a more direct sometimes political message...... and also, stencils were around before the days of burners fatcaps skinnys and whatever..........
    Personally stencils are not my cup of tea, id rather do a wildstyle burner.......but for me, it is definatly a form of graffiti...
    Ps.... I went to see cash money last week and he was using final scratch with a laptop, no huge bag of records and you could no way tell the diffrence..... probley saved the guy from a hernia the amount of tunes he played

10. hopeizm

hopeizm Member

Sorry about the double post!

11. Verbal Kint

Verbal Kint Member

anyone who is honest with themselves can admidt that stencils are super duper toy status

12. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

this thread is super duty toy status.

13. ink face

ink face Elite Member

i dont know why, but this comment had me laughing my ass off. just the bluntness of it i guess, jesus i'm bored.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.