STEM CELL RESEARCH

Guest KONFLIKT

Guest KONFLIKT

WATCH OUT FOR MY SPELLING BUT HERE WE GO...

STEM CELLS ARE FROM THE FETUS WHEN IT IS JUST A FEW CELLS. YOU CAN USE THESE CELLS TO MAKE ANY SORT OF BODY TISSUE THAT YOU WANT. THIS IS BECAUS THE CELLS DO NOT HAVE THE DNA PROGRAMING IN THEM TO DECIDE WHAT THEY ARE GOING TO BE USED FOR.

RESEARCHERS ARE USING THESE CELLS TO CURE ALL TYPES OF DEASES. THY DO THIS BECAUSE THEY CAN PROGRAM THE CELLS TO BE ANYTHING THEY WANT. (I.E. YOU HAVE A LIVER PROBLEM, THEY TAKE STEM CELLS AND PROGRAM THEM TO BE HEALTHY LIVER CELLS AND PUT IT IN YOUR BODY, WHALLA! THE HEALTHY CELLS BEAT DOWN THE BAD ONES AND YOUR CURED.)

NOW.... MY QUESTION IS, IS THIS RIGHT? SHULD WE BE DOING THIS?

MY ANSWER IS NO. THE PLANET IS OVERPOPULATED AS IT IS, WHY SHOULD WE SAVE ALMOST ALL THE PEOPLE THAT ARE SUPPOSED TO DIE? CALL ME A DICK BUT PEOPLE NEED TO DIE. THATS HOW ITS SUPPOSED TO WORK. I DON'T KNOW ME AND MY FRIEND KEEP AURGURING ABOUT THIS CUZ HIS MOM HAS A DESISE THAT STEM CELLS COULD CURE. BUT I TELL HIM, THERE ARE THOUSANDS, EVAN MILLIONS WHO HAVE LOVED ONES WHO COULD BE SAVED BY STEM CELLS. WHAT DO YOU KIDS THINK?

IF WE HELP EVERYBODY LIVE, ARE'NT WE JUST HELPING EVERYBODY DIE?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Thats bullshit. The people who are here, are consuming the worlds resources at an alarming rate. The solution is more reasonable consumption, not less people. And the overpopulation fear is largely unfounded these days, birthrates in most countries are near the replacement rate, with the stats declining every year.

http://www.globeandmail.ca/servlet/GIS.Ser..._offset1=&num_r

if your gonna make such a stupid argument, why not just advocate closing all hospitals. If you cant survive by your own wits just die....

I agree with stem cell research for productive ends. I'm sure it will be abused, and some shady people will do some shady shit with it, but thats gonna happen regardless....

Guest KONFLIKT

IF PEOPLE ARE USING MORE RESOURCES THAN WE HAVE... AND WE KEEP SAVING MORE PEOPLE, AND WE HAVE A HIGHER POPULATION, THAN WHATS GONNA HAPPEN. YOU DUG YOUR OWN HOLE ON THAT ONE.

you missed my point. the overall population is in decline, so keeping folks alive longer won't destroy the planet. Did curing polio contribute to overpopulation? hell no. Natural check and blances are in place to control the population, we cure one thing, something new pops up. Wars reduce population, famine, etc.

Besides, stem cell research is just that, research. Its not a miracle cure for thousands of diseases, just a bit of hope for a lot of people.

Guest KONFLIKT
Originally posted by ese

you missed my point. the overall population is in decline, so keeping folks alive longer won't destroy the planet. Did curing polio contribute to overpopulation? hell no. Natural check and blances are in place to control the population, we cure one thing, something new pops up. Wars reduce population, famine, etc.

Besides, stem cell research is just that, research. Its not a miracle cure for thousands of diseases, just a bit of hope for a lot of people.

CURING POLIO IS ONE DEASISE. STEM CELLS CURE ABOUT 95% OF ALL DEASISES. AND AFTER POLIO THE POPULATION WENT UP RIGHT? SO IF WE ARE CURING ALMOST ALL DEASISES AND THE POPULATION IS GOING DOWN THAN YOU ARE RIGHT. BUT ARE YOU THE ONE TO TELL ME IF THE POPULATION WILL NEVER GO BACK UP? COMPAIR THE POPULATION TO 100 YEARS AGO, OR 1000 YEARS AGO. THE POPULATION IS LARGER ALL DUE TO MEDICEN.

THANK YOU,

-KON

first of all, stem cells have the POTENTIAL to cure alot of diseases. Science is still really fuzzy on what can, and can't be done. Stem cell research is in its infancy.

Advances in medicine and life in general have contributed to a much larger population over the centuries. And much like anything else on this earth, our population will always be kept in check by the resources available to us. We cant consume more than exists. But it doesn't necessarily take alot of people to consume most of the resources, look at how disproportionaltely more north americans consume the worlds resources. We need to change that, or yes, we will reach a breaking point, but it can still happen with a declining population, if that population is consuming more. That I agree with. But the threat of a larger population isn't necessarily a threat so long as they consume less, or more responsibly.

But my main point is the population is always in check, we may gradually increase, but for every cure there is a new disease...people have been predicting doom from overpopulation for as long as we've existed...

Guest KONFLIKT

YOU ARE RIGHT ON THE FACT THAT WE WON'T DIE OUT. IF WE GET OVER-POULATED PEOPLE WILL USE UP RESOURCES AND THE POOR WILL DIE. SURIVAVLE OF THE FITTEST? AGAIN! FUCK! SO I DONT MAKE ENOUGH MONEY TO LIVE! FUCK THAT! I THINK WE GO BACK TO BASICS. IF WE ARE ILL WE DIE. FUCK HAVING ENOUGH MONEY TO PAY FOR OUR LIVES. IF IM A MILLIONAIR AND I HAVE A LIFE THREATNING PROBLEM THEN IM NOT GONNA DIE. WHEN YOU HAVE THE MONEY TO BUY THE RESOURCES THAT YOU NEED THAN YOU ARNT CONTRIBUTING TO THE WELL BEING OF THE PLANET. (I.E. BILL GATES HAS THE MONEY TO LIVE FOR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE, IN RETURN HE GIVES YOU COMPUTER SOFTWARE. FUCK THAT. COMP. SOFTWERE IS NOT GONNA MAKE ANYONE ELSE LIVE LONGER.) UNDERSTAND?

YEAH, ITS JUST REASEARCH NOW. BUT WASNT THE POLIO VACCIN WHEN IT FIRST STARTED OUT? ITS PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT KEEP MAKING HORRIBLE DEATHS FOR THE INNOCENT POOR.

wait...so because I'm in favor of researching somthing that may cure many diseases (95% as you said), that means I'm making horrible deaths for the innocent poor? explain please.

I dont agree with alot of whats going on out there in the world, but NOT preforming stem cell research sure as hell isn't going to stop it.

Guest KONFLIKT

I SUPPOSE IM GETTING ONTO A NEW TOPIC

O.K. IF WE GET OVER POPULATED AND WE START USING UP ALL OUR RESOURCES, THAN WHOS GONNA BUY THE LEFTOVER RESOURCES?... THE RICH , AND AS I SEE IT, THE RICH DONT DO MUCH TO KEEP LIVES GOING (THEY DO SURE AS HELL KEEP THE ECONEMY GOING) BUT AS FAR AS PRODUCING WELL BEING FOR THE POPULATION... NO.) SO WE ARE GOING TO HAVE A BUNCH OF MILLIONAIRS LIVING.

MY POINT: YOU ARE NOT A MILLIONAIR, AND I AM NOT A MILLIONAR. SO WE GET TO DIE. IS THAT RIGHT? MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL.

THIS MEANS: SINCE YOU WANT TO HELP THE COMMON MAN... THAN YOU ARE GONNA DIE! SINCE ME AND YOU ARNT INTO MAKING THE MILLION BUCKS, BECAUSE WE FOLLOW OUR PASSIONS... WE ARE GONNA DIE.

DON'T YOU THINK THAT THOSE SHOULD BE THE PEOPLE THAT LIVE? THE ONES THAT HAVE PASSIONS BEYOND MONEY? THE ONES THAT HAVE A "REAL LIFE"

but thats neither here, nor there, its got nothing to do with stem cell research.

I'm saying that for all the people that will be "cured" by stem cell research, there will be many people dying of new diseases, possibly triggered by some side effect of the research, creating a balance. Or barring that, perhaps the global decline in population will continue, only to be balance by the cures from stem cell research.

Bottom line is the amount of people isn't necessarily the factor in the destruction of resources, its the amount each person is consuming. Less people who still consume at a enourmous rate will destroy the earth as surely as more people who consume less.

Guest KONFLIKT

ARE YOU, OR ANY ONE ELSE GONNA BE ABLE TO TELL THE MASSES TO QUIT USING SO MUCH RESOURCES? ONLY THE RICH ARE GOING TO IGNOR THAT. ONLY THE RICH ARE GOING TO AFFORD STEM CELLS. ONLY THE RICH WILL SURIVIVE.

WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN TO THE REAL?

WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO HUMAINITY? MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL.

DO YOU HAVE HOTMAIL CHAT? PLEASE SAY YES CUZ IM SICK OF WAITING FOR THIS SHIT.

IM KONFLIKT_02 @ HOTMAIL CHAT, IN THE JUST CHILLIN SPOT. YOU GOTTA FIND ME. MAKE A FAKE NAME OR SUMPTHING.

P.S. THANK YOU FOR BEING THE ONLY ONE WITH A BRAIN ON THIS BOARD.

I'm going to sleep soon, so this will be my last post. The drug companies would make more money selling a moderately priced cure to millions, instead of a overpriced cure to a handfull of millionaries. Its not even an issue of morality, they operate for profit, and more profit can be made that way, so thats how it will happen.

Besides, assuming its limited to millionares, that leaves a market of millions for anybody who can can produce it themselves...and with a incentive like that someone would find a way.

So what I'm saying is, it wont be just in the hands of the rich, not because of any imagined nobility, or sense of good, but just because they'd make more money selling to everyone.

Guest KONFLIKT

YES MAKE MORE MONEY SELLING STEM CELLS TO EVERYONE. BUT WHEN "EVERYONE" IS CURED WHOS GONNA BUY THE RESOURCES LEFT TO LIVE? EATHER WAY THE RICH SURVIVE.

well no shit. Its obvious that in any situation the rich will have the ability to buy survival, but if it's going to happen regardless of anything else then why oppose the research? Its not stopping the inevitable...so why not have "uncle joe" whos dying of liver cancer live another 5-10-15 years cause he found a cure?

anyways...I'm really going to sleep this time...

Guest KONFLIKT

I THINK WE'VE FOUND AN AGREEMENT IN AN ARUGUREMENT.

GOOD NITE.

IM SUPPRISED/DISSIPOINTED THAT YOU WERE THE ONLY ONE TO REPLY YO THIS!

GOOD NITE

Originally posted by ese

Thats bullshit. The people who are here, are consuming the worlds resources at an alarming rate. The solution is more reasonable consumption, not less people. And the overpopulation fear is largely unfounded these days, birthrates in most countries are near the replacement rate, with the stats declining every year.

i totally agree that the issue is consumption, but don't kid yourself with the population problem. there's 6 billion people in the world, and there will be double that in forty years. the the US and many european countries are growing at slow rates that you mention, as well as japan and a few other developed countries that are actually shrinking. but india, china and many other countries are blowing up with new births. the average fecundity of women in india is seven, and given indias population compared to the developed world, this amount totally makes up, and surpasses, the low rate of developed nations. the energy and resources one person consumes in the US can feed 20 people in the developing world, so you're right that the issue needs to be changing consumer habits, but the population issue is equally if not more important.

just look up the Four Stages of Population growth and look at the populations of developing nations and dp the math. if you still don't agree, i can pull out some books to quote, and i'll reference them for you.

Guest KONFLIKT
Originally posted by bug

i totally agree that the issue is consumption, but don't kid yourself with the population problem. there's 6 billion people in the world, and there will be double that in forty years. the the US and many european countries are growing at slow rates that you mention, as well as japan and a few other developed countries that are actually shrinking. but india, china and many other countries are blowing up with new births. the average fecundity of women in india is seven, and given indias population compared to the developed world, this amount totally makes up, and surpasses, the low rate of developed nations. the energy and resources one person consumes in the US can feed 20 people in the developing world, so you're right that the issue needs to be changing consumer habits, but the population issue is equally if not more important.

just look up the Four Stages of Population growth and look at the populations of developing nations and dp the math. if you still don't agree, i can pull out some books to quote, and i'll reference them for you.

IM NOT DISAGREEING WITH ANY OF THOSE FACTS, BUT... CHINA...INDIA, THINK ABOUT IT, CHINA IS THE MOST OVERPOPULATE COUNTRY IN THE WORLD, AND THE MOST POPULATED. IF THAT SHIT KEEPS INCREASING...

WOW! WE THINK US AMERICANS HAVE IT OVER POPULATED... BUT THINK ABOUT CHINA.

I KNOW ITS HARD TO IMAGAN IN AMERICA. BUT WHAT IF CHINA OVERPOPULATES THE WORLD? WE WILL HAVE MAINLY ASIANS IN AMERICA, AND THE REST OF THE WORLD. ITS POSSIBLE!

BUT ANYWAYS... WILL SOMEONE AGREE WITH ME? ONLY THE RICH WILL SURVIVE! (WETHER IT BE ASIANS. BLACKS, INDIANS, OR WHITES)

Originally posted by KONFLIKT

IM NOT DISAGREEING WITH ANY OF THOSE FACTS, BUT... CHINA...INDIA, THINK ABOUT IT, CHINA IS THE MOST OVERPOPULATE COUNTRY IN THE WORLD, AND THE MOST POPULATED. IF THAT SHIT KEEPS INCREASING...

WOW! WE THINK US AMERICANS HAVE IT OVER POPULATED... BUT THINK ABOUT CHINA.

I KNOW ITS HARD TO IMAGAN IN AMERICA. BUT WHAT IF CHINA OVERPOPULATES THE WORLD? WE WILL HAVE MAINLY ASIANS IN AMERICA, AND THE REST OF THE WORLD. ITS POSSIBLE!

BUT ANYWAYS... WILL SOMEONE AGREE WITH ME? ONLY THE RICH WILL SURVIVE! (WETHER IT BE ASIANS. BLACKS, INDIANS, OR WHITES)

I will agree with you, the rich are gonna get richer and the poor poorer, say goodbye to the middle class.. I agree..

no, i don't wanna argue, but the if/when our economy crashes, money will be worth nothing, and the rich wont have any more influence than the poor. it is the agrarian cultures that will survive, because they will continue to live off of the land as they always have, and those of us who depend on money and a social order involving division of labor will be stranded.

Guest KONFLIKT

AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT THINKS THATS WRONG?

AM I A BAD PERSON BECAUSE IM NOT IN IT FOR THE MONEY?

THE RICH WILL KRUPT THEMSELVES... THINK ABOUT IT...

WHEN WE HAVE ALL RICH PEOPLE IN THE WORLD ( IF WHAT I SAID EAIRLER IS TRUE) THAN WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO WANT TO DO? ... MAKE MORE MONEY. IF THEY ALL WANT TO MAKE MORE MONEY THEN THEY WILL ALL KRUPT THEMSELVES! RIGHT?

DANM... IF ANYONE LISTENES TO ME AND THINKS ABOUT IT FOR MORE THAN 10 SEC. THEY WILL UNDERSTAND

india is now the most populus country in the world, not china..which has imposed limits on birthrates, btw

stem cells have the potential to treat some nerve-degenerating diseases, such as parkinson's and maybe alzheimers..to estimate 95% of all diseases is quite simply ridiculous.

genetic diseases, cancer (one of the number one killers of humans), AIDS/HIV, malaria, diarrhea, hemmorhagic fevers, heart disease (number one killer of u.s. citizens), gunshot wounds, and car accident injuries are an incredibly small sampling of critical conditions which lead to death in humans..

NONE of these are treatable with stem cells..

stem cells can help people like take5, everyone's favorite paralyzed graf writer, walk again..it will not neccarily lengthen his lifespan..

same with a lot of the parkinson's and alzheimers..

it is a QUALITY OF LIFE issue..

if more research is done with stem cells, more information is found out about what can be done with them to improve the health of living patients, then more people can gain access to it..

it is those who are afraid of these innovations because of what they perceive to be an ethical dillemna..

come on!! we're talking about fetuses that would be thrown away, and then would have to be properly disposed of in biohazard waste...why don't we use some of these resources??

stem cells are not going to cure any of the killer diseases in 3rd world countries..bill gates vaccine machine might though..

and the u.s., one of the less populated countries, uses a disproportionate amount of resources..this is one of the major problems in our world..DISTRIBUTION

if there is a potential to cure my mom's paralysis..i am all for it!!

it is unlikely that stem cells would allow her to live longer..but they might allow her to HOLD A PENCIL AGAIN!!

it is not up to any one group of people to decide whether or not others can recieve a certain available medical treatment..it is irresponsible for someone who does not share in those health problems top make that kind of decision..

think long and hard about whether you are really against stem cells.

then answer again if you become paralyzed from the waist down, knowing you'll probably live at least another 20 years regardless, do you want to be able to walk, and run, and fuck while you're alive? or do you want to sit stuck in a chair because some super religious republicans were uncomfortable with the idea of using cells obtained from a fetus to help you??

p.s...there may be other sources of stem cells as well..

Guest im not witty

ok, im not really in the mood to wade into this discussion

and i realize that caps lock topic has been beaten to death, but jesus konflict your spelling is atrocious.(hehe hope thats spelled correctly)

but onto population control.... j curve baby. j curve.

resources up, population up, resources depleted, population crash.

bye bye

Originally posted by ese

The overall population is greatly increasing. Infact, its increasing so fucking much, it almost a straight line up on the graph. In america it might not be going up so much. But the population growth is out of control.

ive got to agree with ese 's argument because konflikt 's just defies common sense.....

anyhow , i find myself not really caring either way ....i was listening to a radio talkshow that had ppl calling in to discuss this and ppl were so bent on one side or the other , and i dont see why bc i just dont care ..

its great that they are going to cure diseases , and im all for that .....but the issue of whether or not to use human embryo's to do so , i couldnt care less , alot of ppl who called in were all upset and pissed off that were 'killing' humans........but to me it doesnt matter , they are just embryo's so whats the big deal , who knows when exactly something can be classified as life , and its not like were killing infants , theyre just embryos , whether we get them from 'cloning' or from envitro fertilization , or from abortions , i dont care ......it seems to me that the potential to cure disease has to outweigh the insignificant loss of un-concious embryos......

Archived