Stab me in the forehead.

Nekro

Here's the deal, the early application has to be postmarked monday. I've been sitting in front of the fucking computer for the last 48 hours trying to write some sort of personal essay that will justify my existance as a human being. It's not going very well.

Please share your experiences with this degrading, awful process.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats the trick, they weed out 60% of the people who aren't motivated enough to even write ANYTHING down or even DO the application process cuz their lazy. Just write something thats not total crap and stuff.....ive never had to write an essay about my self to get into university, but i had to write one....anyways, i just kept it humble and as vague as possible

Originally posted by Nekro@Nov 12 2004, 11:39 PM

I've been sitting in front of the fucking computer for the last 48 hours

That's some good preparation for midterms and finals. Good luck man...I wish I could help, but since I slept through my whole application process, and most of college, I can't really offer any advice.

use the common app essays theyr so vague that you can pretty much make your own essay out of it. i used a paper taht i wrote in the 10th grade about my friend jons passing. other than that id say dont over exend yourself. i had to apply to 13 schools and it was all a huge pain in the ass.

Mine was of ridiculously poor quality. I drifted off topic on numerous occassions, and I believe at one point I started rambling about the importance of amusement parks in our society. But hey, I got in.

I'm pretty sure the main purpose of entrance essays is to guage whether or not you can actually put a coherent sentence together, and if you can do work and aren't a complete fucktard.

What's your topic?

which college you going to?

I dunno, for my essays I wrote about basically whatever. When I was asked who I was, I gave a long winded explanation that basically made no sense, when asked what do I like to do, I wrote about how I love to doodle.

Just start writing, thats the hardest part , to start.

OKAY KIDDIES THIS IS THE KING OF ESSAY WRITING SPEAKING...

and my personal essay got me a big fat scholarship soooo yeah im worth listening to.

fatbastard, sorry, but writing your essay about your qualifications isnt such a hot idea. that's what your RESUME is for. no doi.

anyway, the purpose of a personal essay is basically to give yourself an opportunity to prove that you're different from the droves of other lame applicants. i pretty much wrote my essay on what i like. yeah, sounds retarded, but i basically just went on about how throughout my life ive been into alot of obscure stuff that most people my age just werent interested in. it's sorta hard to explain, but i made myself sound like this awesomely interesting kid because over the years i chose to educate myself on all kinds of subjects outside of school and outside the norm....as lame as it is, at one point i even discussed my "fascination with street art." hahahaha "street art." whatever. so obviously it was like 30% bullshit, but just i just discussed the stuff i was into, and how "passionate" and "excited" i got about learning about these things.

so this essay basically got me a scholarship to a verrrrrryyyy competitive school, even though i had a shit GPA from high school. but come to think of it, i also was realy "involved" in high school and had damn good ACT/SAT scores.

anyway, good luck, enough rambling. and you will be sooo happy when this process is all over. just don't fuck it up. haha.

I'm applying to Sarah Lawrence college and they don't give you a prompt. Its excruciatingly difficult to think of what to write. On top of that you have to write an essay about education and submit a writing sample (which is teh suck, all my writing for school is bad because I don't see the point in any of it. I write good letters and good 12oz replies). Whatever, this is only early applications. I'm planning on applying to like 15 schools if I don't get in this round.

I've written a good four or five essays, but I think I'm going to write about how I've changed over the last 2 years and how the point of education is to develop a finely tuned bullshit detector.

Dude, 15 schools? Thats fucking absurd. Even if they are all the common app, they still have different short answer questions, and applying to 15 schools is just making you go through far too much work. My suggestion would be cut back on the number of schools. Figure out which ones you are really interested, don't just apply to every school that you think might be ok.

A good plan is to apply to a couple schools that are a stretch (you possibly could get into, but it'd be tough), a couple that you should be able to get into, and than a couple safeties (the schools that you know you'll be able to get into). This should cut back on the number of schools you're applying to, and this way, you know you'll get into at least one of the schools you're interested in.

Best of luck.

S. Chupa/yeah, college apps are a bitch, i know this.

ahhh no i didnt mean you should purely put qualifications on your letter, but breifly disscussing some aspects of your professional life and how they gave you the skills/knowledge that you use in everyday life and how they effected/influenced you as a person. Your university just wants an idea of what type of person would potentially be attending their university so you have to make yourself sound a cut above the rest.

I've just been writing essays for so many years i figured i could help.

Guest ctrl+alt+del

i did one application. knew id get in. i could have done better, but uw is tight so im cool with it, even though i feel like puking right now. fuckin bad dr

When writing the essay, don't go with the "I worked my way through hell to get here and thus that's why i deserve to be admitted to your school" bit. Colleges hate that shit....especiually the U.C. system. I wrote about getting over addiction and they ate it up.

Oh, and those applications are a cunt to fill out aren't they? I'm glad I went to community college first because then you get to skip over a really big portion of the application (i.e. filling out ALLLLLL your high school classes and grades. you go to community college and then it doesn't matter. Haw haw.)

i scored extremely high on my sats/acts, had a shitload of extracurriculars, and was one of the smartest people in my school but i didnt do anywork so i had shitty grades and thats all that matters unless you're going into some special program that helps out dummies...which doesn't work if you're a dummy with money ...it's all a conspiracy anyways. . .go public for bachelors private for masters= usual thing to do is pick 3 safety schools, 3 reach schools, and 3 schools that would be perfect for u