Sri Lankan Teenager Raped by Rescuer

oneeightyone

AP: Sri Lankan Teenager Raped by Rescuer

1 hour, 26 minutes ago World - AP Asia

By SHIMALI SENANAYAKE, Associated Press Writer

GALLE, Sri Lanka - She survived the tsunami, only to suffer the brutality of her rescuer.

AP Photo

Reuters

Slideshow: Asian Tsunami Disaster

Latest Headlines:

· Thailand Restaurant Compelled to Rebuild

AP - 3 minutes ago

· Annan Stunned at Indonesia Devastation

AP - 4 minutes ago

· Tally of Foreigners Killed in Tsunami

AP - 6 minutes ago

Special Coverage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RSS:

On a pilgrimage to a temple, the 18-year-old and her family stopped for a picnic by the beach. That's when the tsunami struck.

Flailing in the water, the teenager heard a voice. "He told me to grab his hand, that he will save me," she said.

She and the stranger were swept into a muddy river. When they reached a bank, he pushed her into a bed of brambles and raped her.

"I screamed and told him not to hurt me," the shy teenager told The Associated Press. "He put his hands around my neck and told me that even if he kills me right there, no one will know."

Since the Dec. 26 tsunami, authorities have received many reports of sexual abuse — including attacks on children — at refugee camps and elsewhere. But there was no one to help the 18-year-old — the waves killed her father, mother and seven other relatives.

Earlier that day, the family and neighbors had left for the Kataragama temple, venerated by Buddhists and Hindus, to celebrate her father's 65th birthday.

Their bus, which carried 32 passengers, stopped at a beach. The girl was wading at the shore with two nieces when the waves crashed around them. Fourteen of the travelers died.

At the teenager's home in a village near the southern town of Galle, her only surviving sister displayed photographs of their parents, brothers, sisters and their families at weddings and birthday celebrations.

She allowed the AP to interview her younger sister on condition the teenager and the family would not be named and no photographs would be taken. They fear being ostracized by the village because of the attack.

After the rape, the teenager said, "I felt lifeless." Soaked with mud, her body itched all over from the thorns.

Dazed, she saw two figures approaching.

"He told me not to breath a word," she said. "He spoke to the men and left me with them. I didn't say anything and was terrified because they, too, were men."

The teenager was loaded into a truck with corpses and the injured. She recognized her brother's body and fainted.

At Karapitiya hospital, doctors and nurses were kind, she said. Dr. D. Wasantha said the teenager didn't mention the rape until a day after being admitted, and was initially treated for respiratory problems from inhaling water.

"She was very reluctant to talk and we didn't want to probe too much as she was already very upset and kept saying not to tell anyone," Wasantha said.

After learning of the rape, the doctor gave the young woman pills to prevent pregnancy.

"I don't want to talk to the police. They ask a lot of questions I don't understand and don't know how to respond," the teenager said, toying with the corner of her brown T-shirt.

The teenager lived a sheltered life before the tsunami, but she did go to college for a time, studying the Sinhalese language, political science and economics. She dropped out a year ago to take care of the family household.

"I want to be a journalist," she said when asked about the future. Her eyes lit up and she smiled faintly, but that faded when her aunt said they hoped some man would marry the teenager.

Her sister soon dampened any idea of a quick marriage: She said gossip already was swirling around the village, where rape brings stigma and shame to the victim rather than the rapist.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by oneeightyone@Jan 7 2005, 04:19 PM

After learning of the rape, the doctor gave the young woman pills to prevent pregnancy.

Those pills play havoc with a woman's insides.

Adding injury to insult.

hmm..

so let me get this straight.

women can be raped anywhere at anytime?

yes, it's disgusting, and why does this kind of shit surprise people still?

pedoophiles are out there looking for tsuanmi orphans to kidnap for chrissakes.

not all morning after pills are bad for women,

preventing a pregnancy was a great thing to do.

http://www.unicefusa.org

not getting pregnant is the only real option,

but the means to make that happen can be terrible.

I know a few girls who used the morning after pill and

they say it's total hormonal hell on their body. Plus the

actualy physical effects aren't all that pleasant either.

And if those are the versions of the drug readily available

to north american women, I can only presume that's about

as good as it gets.

Holy shit that is SOOOOooooo fucked up!

I guess she is seen as unclean and impure now.... Poor girl. It's not her fault. She should have ripped his fucking nuts off and shoved them down his throat.

Fuck that dude. Shit like this makes me want to be a bounty hunter.

Originally posted by <KEY3>+Jan 7 2005, 06:14 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (<KEY3> - Jan 7 2005, 06:14 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-oneeightyone@Jan 7 2005, 04:19 PM

Those pills play havoc with a woman's insides.

Adding injury to insult.

[/b]

most are just a strong birth control, so its not more harmful than that. ru-486 does some shit though....

Originally posted by AerosolTerrorist@Jan 8 2005, 07:20 AM

omg, I know right,how can you be horny when theres a Tsunami..wtf

thats messed up

Maybe thought he was gonna die anyway, may as well get some.

Not condoning it in the slightest, (I think this sort of event has brought out the best in most people, but obviously not here) but could be his reasoning.

Fucking nasty.

Damn, that is so fucked up, It makes my day to hear about rapist and molesters getting killed in jail, i hope they catch the guy that raped that girl, gets killed.or raped by scott peterson, all rapist and molesters of any kind should die by the hand of the public, sorry if i sound radicalistic. thats just my opinion

I just spent all fucking day checking out timeshares telling them I want to go to sri lanka/indonesia/thailand and when they finally show me the numbers it's the biggest fucking scam I've ever seen in my life. Fucking bastards wasted my whole fucking day motherfuckers.

hahaha. dude, that was such a tease thing to post.

not exactly the same, but while on the topic...

anytime there are foreign relief workers that show up at a disaster area, immediately a sex trade springs up around them. it's sick to think that the same people who travel around the world to help others also exploit them in such a disgusting way, but i guess thats life.