Spraypaint on T-shirts.

whoneedsavet

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by whoneedsavet@Apr 30 2005, 11:13 AM

Just wondering Can I use spray paint on t-shirts to make a stencil. Ive got my design and the proper paint but spray paint always looks better because of the splater effects. Will it come off in the wash or will it stay?

Yea you can use paint on t-shirts. me and some of the people in my crew are still in high school and we sell shirts. oh yea it wont come off in the wash it will fade eventually.

Originally posted by GEEB@Apr 30 2005, 08:33 PM

When you say spray paint, do you mean like Krylon spray paint? or are you useing fabric paint? because ive got a few stencils i want to put on shirts also.

I used Monster Colors Montana and Fabric Paint. The spray looked hand-made but the fabric paint looked like i bought it.

You can paint really clean stencils on fabric if you iron everything out and put a board under the layer you're spraying on. I think different colors will have different longevity in the washer and dryer though, and the fabric blend of the shirt could affect this as well.

For example, with a polyester / cotton shirt, the toluene & other solvents in the spray paint will probably melt the poly to some degree before it evaporates and the paint should bond to it better than it will pure cotton. I have a stenciled cheap white poly/cotton shirt that was sprayed around 9 months ago and washed countless times and has not faded or decayed yet. This was with el-cheapo dollar store black gloss paint.

Originally posted by Old Growth@Apr 30 2005, 10:14 PM

Why don't you just do silkscreening? You can make whatever design you want, and it'll come out better than some stencil. Unless, of course, you're really into mallpunk and want that DIY look.

ah ha ha ha ha....golden