SPOTJOCKING/SIDEBUSTING

krowteN

sisnce there seems to be some sort of harmony in trainspoting on topics with substance, unlike "how many freights have you done this year" or "who is the best freight crew" id like to get some feedback on what i believe is a topic with substance.

Spot Jocking...which has also been refered to Sidebusting.

yesterday i saw a Pre piece on a 90' auto patrs carrier (one of those extra long boxcars). it was on the very end of the right pannel. the left pannel was clean but two kids, whose shit i couldnt even read, was squeezed in between the door and the Pre's piece. To me this is the epitomy of spot jockage. especially when the left pannel is clear, and on these cars you have plenty of room to get loose without touching reporting marks and weight limits. but how can you proove this is spot jocking, maybe it was an ambush and the spot that was jocked was the only spot to hit. and the same goes for the layup. maybe the only paintable car forces one to spot jock or sidebust.

thoughts?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SIDEBUST IF YOU MUST!

yeah, sidebusting is wack. but if it's the only spot then it's the only spot. hit that shit, but write something on the car so that everbody doesn't think you're painting with the other person.

yeah.....squeezing in by that pre is whack......but i dont think theres anything wrong with hitting the left panel if its open......i hardly ever get up on a car that someones already hit, but when i do, its always on the other end.....and thats ONLY when i cant find any clean cars to paint, or any cars covered in shit that need a good buffing.....eventually, this will be a much bigger issue. im sure theres plenty of people on this board that hate sidebusting all around.....me.... i could care less if somebody in another state gets up on another part of the car im riding on.....but thats just me....but yeah....im sure people across the country ARE being forced to do it, just because theres a WHOLE LOT more people painting freights in their general....in five years or so everybodys gonna be sidebusting.....

NEVER paint a pannel over from some one you do not know....i dont care if there is one box at all of my spots, there will be more next week...and shit if im that desperate ill just cover some toy before i take the clean pannel...operation clean up 2002...

BUT it is hard to set rules in a subculture that is about breaking the rules... but in my oppinion i feel it is either jocking a better writer OR getting up with some fool that is not even your friend to give the appearence or idea that they might have painted together...

oh and "alabama" get off my dick with the exagerated period usage, that is a IHATEU coined trait on the 12oz message board....idiot...

Originally posted by IHATEU

NEVER paint a pannel over from some one you do not know....

ok, maybe im slow today, but lets say someone paints the left panel, am i to believe you're saying that its not ok to paint right panel, unles you know that person? even if there is a door inbetween pieces? or are you saying its not ok to fit on the same panel, if its an extended car and there is room?

He means, don't paint the other panel.

Which brings me to my mixed feelings on the subject.

For the most part I say sidebusting is wack. I was introduced to the concept early on. As I was just barely post-toy (or maybe as my last toy act), I saw a train with 3 well-known cats I've never met taking up 2/3 of the car. A local toy had added a crappy hollow in the far panel, which damaged the aesthetics of the car. I took it upon myself to go over the toy - except that made it a sidebust. The people I was beginning to paint with clued me in. Fortunately the car was a local for us, and once I realized what was up I told everybody to buff my thing off that car if they saw it again, and one of them did. I should have just buffed the toy and left it at that.

Since then I've been against sidebusting. But with space filling up, I'm beginning to wonder anew. In the vast majority of cases, taking the unoccupied panel opposite someone you don't know feels wrong. But I could see this complaint from somebody who gets to the layup, and it's sidebust or go home: If doing one piece of ANY size means you're staking a claim to the entire car, why don't you go bigger? Can't sidebust an e2e or wholecar. At most wall spots there is no such distinction: space is space, and your only concern is who you're going over, not who you're going next to (except in cases of drastic skill level differences, or "showcase" spots like rooftops, prodos, crew-only, memorial pieces, etc).

I once sidebusted by accident. A choice flat was in a sketchy night spot. The left panel had nothing but toy shit, and was behind cover, but if you stepped too far to the right you were out in the open under the glare of sodium lights. So I leaned back and glanced down at the far panel, and in the lousy light it looked clean, but I wasn't about to break cover in this particular spot for a better look. I hit my panel. Next day I'm back for flicks, and I see a very old, faded piece, possibly from '94, nothing I recognized, nothing sick but certainly of historical value. I wasn't about to buff myself off that one so I shrugged and let it roll.

My rule now is that I'm not going to sidebust anything that was a quality effort, or even the lesser efforts of better known names. Stuff like fillins, throwups, tags I'm not sweating it unless the writer involved is no longer walking the earth.

Even car type/size plays a role. If somebody did a small stamp way on one end of an auto parts extendo flat, yeah, I'll piece the other end. I'll just leave as much space as I can to emphasize that it was not a joint effort. (That's after looking around for a clean car - if I have a clean car available, I won't even approach a controversial move.)

If you're established in the game, there's no question that it's a distasteful sight to see some yahoo you don't know riding shotgun on one of your cars, especially if you came off, or if you don't care for him or his crew. And yet I've seen cars with a bunch of different heads who definitely did not paint together, and it was an interesting result: the tale of a car that's been around. (Although this tale is better told with a big collection of streaks and tags all in the same spot; sidebusting really refers to pieces.)

So again, I think it's wack most of the time, but not cut-and-dried. The best defense against getting sidebusted is to paint bigger. We need more e2es and wholecars. (And yes, I know, the spots to do them.)

as long as you burn it..its all good right? if its old it needs to be burnt twice as hard, for example if you go over a pannel from 95, then take flicks and burn the car end to end. and always take flicks of what you go over. if some crusher had 1000s of ups and i come across a fillin that ran for seven years, ill burn it and hope that it runs for another seven rather than having some toy go over it before it gets to roll out....

but nahh, im not even that hardcore. i barley have to go over anybody and we would like to keep it that way, vs having to cut our qaulity panels for some cats that never even ran freeways for that long.

Guest TrustEvil

with a little common sense and and ounce of respect, you can get away with sidebusting if you must...keep in mind though that there are 4 panels and 2 doors on every boxcar, although they might not always be accessible....regardless, all these fucking rules are getting out of hand....its graffiti and its childish and if you do your thing and you do it well, no one can say shit about it...i think maybe we should ask CN or CSX or UP how THEY feel about sidebusting, you know, considering the cars belong to them and not us.

Originally posted by TrustEvil

with a little common sense and and ounce of respect, you can get away with sidebusting if you must...keep in mind though that there are 4 panels and 2 doors on every boxcar, although they might not always be accessible....regardless, all these fucking rules are getting out of hand....its graffiti and its childish and if you do your thing and you do it well, no one can say shit about it...i think maybe we should ask CN or CSX or UP how THEY feel about sidebusting, you know, considering the cars belong to them and not us.

excellent point, with just the right amount of blunt obviousness. when you have to sidebust, you have to. point blank. if i have to sidebust, per circumstances that are out of my control than so be it. just like ill make room if i have to. and yes i think there are rules that should be adhered to, but like these guys getting next to that pre piece, or if you paint 4 trains in a spot with 10 cars and you know its chill to paint all 10 cars, and you come back the next day and some fool has painted only on the cars you painted, on the same side you painted....i mean thats not just sidebusting thats spot jocking. a double negative

as long as its not on the same panel and you dont go trying to match color schemes of the person your side busting i dont see a problem....ive had to do it a few times and when i do i make sure to note somewhere by my peice that i did sidebust....im not trying to step on toes but if your doing 1/4 of a car and expect no one to else to get up on it your a fucking turd....plain and simple

there are exceptions but generally i just try and approach the situation with respect....

Guest TrustEvil

don't do this and don't do that, shit, some of you have more reservations than a fucking nun. panels are there for the taking, they don't belong to the writer who came before you, or the one who will come after....sidebust with respect and everything is all good. the only people who shouldn't be sidebusting (or be up on trains period) are newjack toys.

Guest bigg y

ILL JUST SCRIBBLE ON UR SHIT THEN DRINK A FORTIE AND TALK ABOUT IT ON 12OZ LIKE WHOA I DISS EVERYONE I ONLY ROCK FR8S THAT HAVE STUFF ON AND LEAVE THE CLEAN ONES TO THE TOYS LIKE WHOA

side bustn lets see i think its wack by doing this it looks like u wanted to look u paintd with this guy then u look like a foo but if its all that there then at least put something to show that u were not with this writer but side bust if the peice is a sloppy mess and u know its a toy

and another thing if u see my train i hit today please do the following paint over it the worst things that can happen happend to me today

Guest mikro137

sidebusting is bullshit.

weather you have a nice panel , by a person obviously in a legendary class , to go right next to him , is bullshit. if the car has been painted (pieces , not throws (exceptions....) or 2 color garbage (again there are exceptions , and i said GARBAGE) then stay off the car. especially if you dont know the person , or you are looking for cheap fame. what ever i dunno , its early here

Guest TrustEvil

again....a panel is a panel and if that's all there is left on the train, then you hit it, whether it's a Push fr8 from 1994 or some newjack from 2002...i don't think too many heads out there go out of their way to sidebust a piece with matching color scheme and background and shout outs and all that shit...and the few people who might do this have bigger issues about them than where they paint graffiti. there is a lot of space on a panel and it doesn't belong to any writer in particular, so if someone can get away with rocking it and not overlapping onto the next man's work, then so be it...in fact, i think it's fucking great when you see a piece of yours from several years back and someone else has since rocked the same train or even the same panel as you...kinda makes shit interesting knowing it got around and another writer from god knows where got to get up on the same train...it might just be the last little sense of community this fr8 culture has...a mosaic of the railroad earth.

further, i think the writers out there who drop tiny microscopic pieces in the middle of a giant panel should be burned over completely....i have nothing against small burners, but they have a place and it isn't smack dab in the center of a perfect panel...people need to learn some space management, and if you can fit your piece between the bars on the ladder, then do it. don't ruin a perfectly good panel that a couple other heads could have rocked solid with decent sized work.

Originally posted by blahblahblah

I don't sidebust and i expect the same from others.... If it's the only panel in the place, go to another place...

you have got to be kidding. once i get in a spot the only thing that will make me leave is the fuzz. ill sidebust the fuck out of whoever before i drive all the way accross town to another spot just to keep some yoyo from thinking i was trying to be down.. i think TE has again made a blatently valid point. these arent our trains, because you paint your name on it still dosent make it yours. i think a pannel is a pannel. if i can help it i will never even cop a tag on the same car with another writer. but if thats my only choice, well you know the rest. and fuck writing a note to say im not sidebusting. if writer is up on one pannel and i get on the other pannel and he thinks he is to fuckin cool to

have someone else paint the other pannel well than fuck him anyway. sidebusting is wack when some fool tries to squeeze in on the same pannel with you, or when you and your boy have both pannels and someone gets on the door. but if all you have is one pannel on a car (door jamb to ladder) than the other 3 pannels are open season. thats my fuckin rule. now that space is becoming more and more of an issue dont be so quick to think someone is "sidebusting" you. unless of course it is blatently obvious.

Guest TrustEvil

Zed raised a good point....if you think you're too cool to have another writer you don't know rock the same panel as you, then you need to be set right. take that elitist attitude and jam it way up your ass.

i once sidebusted by accident ..luckily i know the person so its all good

but, like name dropping, sidebusting is lame.

i really enjoy painting alone on cars anyway..my shit has definitely gotten larger and larger on trains..i usually end up with my 2 on or really close to the door.

i guess if you're caught in a congested area, shit happens

but i've learned that in this game, it gets you zero respect

before i was in a crew, i never jocked the people i was writing with..in other words, i usually painted on a car alone even when i was with 5 talented motherfuckers..i think that this earned me more respect, than if i had followed them around, trying to paint next to them.

it's not that hard to avoid major drama by just writing next to your piece that you sidebusted, or that you are not with whatever writer took the other panel. its really not that self-effacing and it works. problem solved.

the other thing is, with the kind of spots i have i usually know ahead of time how many panels there are left and what quality they are. if i see the potential for some problem with sidebusting, i just fucking bring it up and clear the air with whoever it is i might be busting. now i know that most people don't have that luxury so i guess that point is kind of moot, but i still think that most people can avoid that shit all together or do what it takes to aleviate themselves of guilt after. most of us have the luxury of having cars to pick from, so just pick wisely.

a man gotta do what a mans gotta do... but as far as a pre train from 90... i would have to leave that one alone, and i would alwas try to paint the other panel, or the other side of the car first. but if i came there to paint i am going to paint and thats that, everyone will just have to laugh at me and talk shit about how i spotjock later.:o

personally i dont see what the big deal is. im not tripping if someone catchs the other half of my car...my shit is always door to ladder. if you want the other half of the car its all yours. if you paint wack shit its your bad looking twice as wack next to me. if you burn me then your stoked and im stoked. the only reason i would trip is if i had my boy on the other side and someone went over them with out going over the whole car. i think graffiti looks cool next to different graffiti.

Guest TrustEvil

this topic is starting to piss me off...what's with all this shit about writing "sidebust" when you paint next to some other writer....fuck that noise, i don't have to justify anything to anyone...neither do the vast majority of you out there. again, i MUST stress that these aren't our trains, and if you do it with respect in regards to the work of those who rocked before you, then you can paint any part of the train you wish..rock a fucking coupler for all i care. i think any writer out there with 2 cells between his ears will be able to tell when one writer sidebusted another, no need to get gay on it and write sidebust...what the fuck is that ?...might as well: "Dear _______ (insert popular fr8 writer's name here), I was at one of my local spots last night and it was a little more empty than usual, and I happened to paint beside you due to lack of space. I didn't go over any part of your piece as you can clearly see (not that you'll likely ever see this fr8 again anyways), I didn't match color schemes (even though I always carry every color combo on the planet in the off chance i'll stumble across a burner and sidebust it so perfectly that everyone on 12oz thinks i painted with you), and I didn't even shout you out. Hope this doesn't pose any problems to your fragile male ego, if so, please don't hesitate to call me at (555-EAT-DICK) and we can discuss this situation. All the best."

now that you've had a good laugh, don't you feel like a fucking idiot ? please take this opportunity to warm your soul with a nice hot cup of shut the fuck up.

paint your shit, use your head and don't compromise your integrity because a bunch of inter-nerds tell you how things have to be...shit, half the fuckers on here haven't painted more than 10 trains in their whole pathetic lives.

Forgive my ignorance...

But coming from the late 80's in new york This whole concept is ridiculous to me. So I'm to believe that if someone already has a piece on the other end of the car, I'm not supposed to rock in a perfectly clean space?

Man please, If you applied that same thinking to a NYC subcar you'd never get up.

As previously mentioned, I feel either rock on the other end and be up to par or, take the whole mutha fukkin shit from e2e wif crew or for self

but hey, that's me...whatever.

Archived