spelling lessons with THE LAW

Guest THE LAW

Guest THE LAW

as a service to the registered users of 12ozProphet Writer's Forum, THE LAW will be hosting a new thread containing the most frequently misspelled words on this site. Please enjoy.

Definition text comes from dictionary.com

First word up for the day:

DEFINITE/DEFINITELY

DEFINITE(df-nt)

adj.

Having distinct limits: definite restrictions on the sale of alcohol.

Indisputable; certain: a definite victory.

Clearly defined; explicitly precise: a definite statement of the terms of the will. See Synonyms at explicit.

Grammar. Limiting or particularizing.

Botany.

Of a specified number not exceeding 20, as certain floral organs, especially stamens.

Cymose; determinate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Middle English diffinite, defined, from Latin dfntus, past participle of dfnre, to define. See define.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

defi·nite·ly adv.

defi·nite·ness n.

Usage Note: Definite and definitive both apply to what is precisely defined or explicitly set forth. But definitive most often refers specifically to a judgment or description that serves as a standard or reference point for others, as in the definitive decision of the court (which sets forth a final resolution of a judicial matter) or the definitive biography of Nelson (that is, the biography that sets the standard against which all other accounts of Nelson's life must be measured).

DEFINITE/DEFINITELY

ok, you see....all you kids have been spelling it DEFINATELY, and well...THAT'S JUST WRONG.

it helps THE LAW to think of the word FINITE as the root, even if he's not sure if that's true. you have to be very careful when typing this word outside of word processing programs, THE LAW knows for sure that Microsoft Word changes it automatically for you...so you may not even know you've been spelling it wrong.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest imported_Tesseract

I like that.I live in europe and english is not my mother language.It seems that i could use those spelling lessons,i know it's all text in here

but i could also use the pronunciation definition on some rare ones.

Guest ctrl+alt+del

i spell what wrong all the time. but thats only because im typing to fast, it always ends up as 'waht'. i dont know why. same with that. "taht"

Guest ghostwriter

who cares how u spell the shit its what you say that matters. this is graffiti your supposed to spell shit however you want

as long as you get your point across, plus most kids on here are like 14 trust me

Originally posted by ghostwriter

who cares how u spell the shit its what you say that matters. this is graffiti your supposed to spell shit however you want

as long as you get your point across, plus most kids on here are like 14 trust me

but what about the real world. school papers, job applications.. etc.. why would anyone WANT to spell shit incorrectly anyway? lazy asses.

Guest ghostwriter
Originally posted by seeking innocence

if the point your trying to get across is that your lazy and ignorant, then yes ghost writer, do it by any means necessary...

did i say that i'm the one that spells shit wrong stupid????naw i said who cares if the little kids that go on here which is like 75% of the people on here spell shit wrong. haha i dont even look at seeking as a writer sware to god. i just look at him as the guy thats on the internet.

Guest THE LAW
Originally posted by seeking innocence

if the point your trying to get across is that YOUR lazy and ignorant, then yes ghost writer, do it by any means necessary...

OH SHIT! someone dropped the ball on this one.

a perfect example of tomorrow's lesson: YOUR vs. YOU'RE

Guest cracked ass

The most annoying error I've noticed in the last year or two is the frightening number of otherwise literate people who can't get the its/it's complex right. For the few heads bothering to read this thread, here it is:

The word it's is a contraction of two words, it is (or rarely it has).

It's a nice day.

I can't paint because it's my bowling night.

If you put the apostrophe in there, make sure you meant to say it is.

You can also use it as a contraction of it has.

It's been a long night.

The word its is the possessive neuter case, just like saying his or hers.

This can has gunk in its valve.

Its face will give you nightmares.

Here's a sentence with both. Remember, when you see the apostrophe, automatically think contraction of it is. When you don't see the apostrophe, it's like his or hers.

I can't tell if it's a guy or girl because of its weird clothing and androgynous appearance.

Guest THE LAW

THE LAW wishes to thank Mr. Ass and was sincerely hoping that he would be willing to help with this thread. Cracked, your continued participation would be greatly appreciated. Tomorrow our lesson will be YOUR's and YOURS, followed by THERE, THEIRS and THEY'RE.

haha i dont even look at seeking as a writer sware to god. i just look at him as the guy thats on the internet.

well, overlooking the GLARING punctuation errors, I SWEAR that Seeking can spell the word swear correctly...

did i say that i'm the one that spells shit wrong stupid????naw i said who cares if the little kids that go on here which is like 75% of the people on here spell shit wrong. haha i dont even look at seeking as a writer sware to god. i just look at him as the guy thats on the internet.

I like to spell, punctuate, and write as eloquently as possible on message boards, because the only thing people have to judge me by is my words. People are looking at how I spell, how my sentences are punctuated, and what I have to say. If I continuously make spelling errors, they will think I'm uneducated, and I rather they not think that. Also, I really dislike when a kid writes something simple on a wall and it's spelled incorrectly. You know everyone that passes that wall is thinking they're a dumbass if they can't even spell a four letter word right.

I think there should also be a vocabulary thread. As writers we should all increase our everyday vocabulary. It could be like highschool english class right here on 120z! hehe. We needs to get edumacated.

maybe you should check cracked ass,

but i always thought that ITS was the only contraction that was an exception and didn't use an apostrophe.

Guest THE LAW

Re: maybe you should check cracked ass,

Originally posted by bug

but i always thought that ITS was the only contraction that was an exception and didn't use an apostrophe.

YOU THOUGHT WRONG

its=possessive

it's=contraction...it is

Guest cracked ass

Re: maybe you should check cracked ass,

Originally posted by bug

You are 100% dead wrong.

I don't have time right now but I will explain later why the confusion you suffer is common.

Archived