Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

SPEEKING OF COLLEGE

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by L.RonHubbard, Jan 30, 2002.

1. L.RonHubbard

L.RonHubbard Guest

does anyone find school to interfere with graffiti?? DO youi ever wonder what the point of writing all these shitty papers is all about?? DO you get sick of hearing kids talk about daddys gold card and whatnot? what about the obsession with pot smokin here? its just pot, and oh yea are any of you thugs, riff raff, troublmakers, punks and vandals really lookin forward to heading in the direction that college takes you?

im doubting this college shite more and more everyday, the only thing i like is the fact that my parents pay for it and i can eat alot of food and not pay for it and not have to live with them. its easy to steal shit from the naive punks here too/

2. jah

jah Elite Member

it all depends on how one wants to live. if u have enough skills to make a living already, then fuck college. if u want to do something that college doesnt give u the skills for, then fuck college. the point of writing papers is to help u remember what u learn, exercise ur brain, increase writing/reading skills, get u used to doing work.... there will always be excuses to not want to do work but to say college is pointless and quit cus u dont like hangin around rich white kids is just stupid. college is a system that has been worked out than a lot of people like to follow because it teaches u skills that people dont know how to, or arent motivated to learn on their own. if graffiti is more important to u than college and for some u cant find a way to do both, then quit college. the point of life is to be happy i think. but instead of finding an excuse to be lazy and get out of work ask urself if u honestly believe what ur telling urself cus the decisions u make now r impotant. if u think u can get by and lead the life u want without college, great. and i dont know what ur pothead comment is implying so if u could clarify on that.... and about the direction college leads u in... college can lead u in many different directions. even if u dont plan on entering the corperate world and being a workaholic u can still acquire usefull skills and have good experiences (not to mention fun) in college. not everyone in college is there one their daddys gold card. u can choose who u wanna be associated with. a lot of college students ive met have a much more broad perspective and understanding of the world than people who dont go to college. im not in college but my friends are and ive stayed with em on a couple campuses and even sat in for a couple classes. i thought the classes were pretty tight compared to high school classes. by no means do i think u wont be successful if u dont go to college; but if u have the opportunity to go i say take it cus if u decide u dont want to take that path u can always pick up on something else afterward. its only 1 to 8 years of ur life. maybe 12 sometimes but.... i may as well skip college now. ive written the equivalent of all my term papers.

3. graffsurgeon

graffsurgeon Banned

ba ba ba back to brooklyn.

4. vinyl junkie

vinyl junkie Elite Member

i'm in college now and i do view it as a waste of time for the most part. But i also know that whatever i end up doing with my life, just having a piece of paper saying i went to college is definately going to help. and as far as my personal college experience goes, writing papers isn't helping me with shit. I don't remember the stuff any more after i write some long boring paper than i would if i didn't have to write it. infact, judging by how rush my papers usually get written, i would probably remember more if i didn't have to write it. also, i've noticed the pot thing too. in fact, i've lost a small handful of freinds to the "joys of college". i think families are way too scary and controlling these days, so kids are afraid to talk to their parents... especially about drugs and shit like that. as soon as these kids get out of the house and into college all they seem to be able to think about is beer, pot, and how they can talk a girl/guy out of using a condom. take a look at drug use and std surveys and they both spike in college towns...

in closing... fuck college... i wish i didn't need to be here

5. boogie hands

boogie hands 12oz Legend

wait, werent you just bitching about college educated rich kids?? i wish my parents had enough money to ship me off to college and pay for my living expenses....nope, im working 40 hours a week and going to school for 8 hours on saturdays so i can pay for my living and get an education....im not bitching....its made me a lot better of a person than ungreatful little shits like you....you just need to recognize that and shut the fuck up about it before someone like me who actually has something to complain about picks you up by your tshirt and smacks the shit out of you....i feel sorry for you, youll be crying like a little bitch when you actually get into the real world....

6. dropone

dropone Member

maybe you should go back to high school seeing as you spelled "speaking" incorrectly.

7. fr8lover

fr8lover Guest

hmm maybe its graffiti getting in the way of school? just a thought.

if your in college, quit wasting mom and dads money and do your thing. put down the cans once in awhile and "get your learn on."

8. jah

jah Elite Member

attitude plays a big part in how much info ull remember. if u put in the work and do a good job and research thoroughly (and actually care enough to try and remember) u shouldnt have a problem. of course if u look at it as a waste of time ur not gonna remember shit. once again ur giving urleslf excuses to do halfassed work. and weed isnt the problem. kids who cant handle and who arent responsible are the problem. its funny how people try and blame their problems on a plant. like u didnt have a choice to smoke it or not. i guess it should be illegal cus some pussies cant handle it and dont have the willpower to quit. one of the main problems people have these days is blaming their problems and weeknesses on things other than themselves. college isnt a waste of time. there may be something better u could be doing, but its not a waste of time. and when u get fired for doin a half assed job at work i bet ur gonna blame college huh? my college didnt teach me anything so im no good at my profession. fuck that. colllege is there to help u learn, not learn for u. just because u cant remember shit doesnt mean that papers are a waste of time. im thankful for a lot of the papers i did in high school. i learned a lot of things pertaining to the rest of the world. u dont know it cus u obviously havent been on ur own and out of school, but the worlds a lot different than school and home; and the more knowledge u have the better off ull be. even if its just so u can participate in conversations regarding politics or whatever. theres so many ignorant kids that think their oppinion in politics means shit when they really dont have any knowledge that would make them relavent. its funny how many kids ( and adults) think they know what to do about the taliban and al qaeda just because they hear some bullshit from cnn. there are much bigger issues behing the war on terrorism in afghanistan behind this war. the bush administration has a lot of interests there that they dont tell people about. anyway, back to the subject at hand. if u want ur oppinion to be educated and count for anything then u need to do the research thats necessary instead of walkin around babbling ignorant comments that stemmed from a misinterpretation of what someone else told u. college is a place where u will learn shit about the rest of the world, even if its not from books. i lose points on this term paper for grammar but then again im not tryin to use perfect grammar anyway......

9. jah

jah Elite Member

keep in mind ive been up all night and ive had some drinks so if im using a lot of runnons and being repetative its not cus im stupid.

10. EatMorGlue

EatMorGlue Senior Member

i've been told by many of my professors that college isn't about learning material. it's about learning how to think. the point of those papers you have to write isn't to remember stuff, it's to sharpen your analytic argument skills.

but whatever, to those that said college is stupid, i advise you to drop out immediately. quit fucking around with your parents money or your money and your time and just drop out and run away from "the direction" college takes you. which is absurd anyways, college doesn't point you in a single direction, it can open up more directions for you if you choose. so just go ahead and drop out and then twenty years down the line you'll either be happy with whatever career you chose, or realizing how naive you were to waste the opportunity that is college. if knowledge and an education for their own sake aren't motivation enough for you, then get the hell out. somebody got deferred from there so you could go. give them the chance, maybe they'll do more with it than you did.

11. -Rage-

-Rage- 12oz Loyalist

took the words right out of my mouth

12. Are2

Are2 Guest

Re: Re: SPEEKING OF COLLEGE

christ..what a spoiled attitude..
    why the fuck are you even in college if you hate it so much..you should know what writing those papers is all about..you are the fool writing them

i spent several years at a university, working full time to pay for it all the way through..i was high 85% of the time..so what? that shit is my medication..
    i didn't worry myself about all the kids who were there to party and be in a frat and spend mommy's money..those people are everywhere..i was too focused on my own success as a student to get caught up in a pathetic "pity me, why am i here the world has no value attitude"

why don't you get a real major that actually challenges you and enlightens you and quit with the bitching..or better yet, quit school and start that graf mag
    school did plenty of great things for me..
    it never interfered with my graffiti..it may have made me better at it, actually..

if schools sucks for you..quit complaining and leave..it won't do you any good to find out in ten years that you hate your degree anyway..or find something there that is interesting to you..lots of people in the worls would kill for the oppurtunity to be put in college, and funded by their fucking parents..if this means nothing to you, college isn't gonna do shit for you anyway moron

13. Clever Name

Clever Name Junior Member

College isn't for everybody. I was reading Upski's book and he made some really good points: some people learn on a different wavelength than others, colleges/schools can be really limited in what they teach you, first hand experience is often a much better teacher, etc.

I think it's up to the individual. If you're really lacking motivation than college will sometimes kick you in the ass and get you going. For others it can prove to be a waste of time.

14. metallix

metallix Elite Member

I am just applying to college, im a senior and can't wait to go. I am told that college is/will be better, and hear it all the time. So many people have said high school was a waste of their time. I look forward to taking what classes I want, and learning what I want to learn about.

On another note, don't blame your weaknesses on marijuana. If you can't handle it responsibly do not smoke. It is a good herb if used properly. Prove everyone wrong. Smoke the pot , go to class stoned and still get your good grades.

15. Eastcoast Killa

Eastcoast Killa New Jack

Very interesting topic...I'm a junior in HS right now, i have to say high school is bullshit and a waste of time and an insult to intelligence, etc. I wanna know from people who have been to college, is it really like a bigger version of highschool? Most people that i could ask are biased in some way, or of course expect me to go so they'd lie about it. Because if college is gonna be a repeat of highschool, I might as well not bother...I'm not looking for 4 more years of shitty homework and stupid papers. Can anyone provide a little insight from personal experience on this whole deal?