Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Sorry if I cant talk Paint Pens in here...[not graf related]

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by gatita, Jul 14, 2004.

1. gatita

gatita Senior Member

This might be the wrong section, if it is, bite me. Okay, Im joking.

Anyway, I recently started using paintpens on canvas, to "paint", and I LOVE IT!!!?!?! Does anyone else do this? Right now Im working on two 18x24" paintings, one of a lotus on fire, one of koi, cherry blossoms, fan etc., etc.

Heres a detail of the koi one:
    [​IMG]

2. CrazyLazy

CrazyLazy Senior Member

Sometiems I use paint pens for detailed things or outlines. But I usually just use acrylic.

3. slave_one

slave_one Elite Member

nice; it almost looks like acrylic.

i only use them after i've painted the canvass w/acrylics; usually to outline or add highlights or something...

4. CrazyLazy

CrazyLazy Senior Member

It doesn't look like you have this problem, but I find that with the paint pens that I've used, they are a lot more glossy than the acrylic. So it looks kinda weird sometimes.

5. 2 blaazed

2 blaazed New Jack

very nice sexy....

6. gatita

gatita Senior Member

Crazy- Actually it is pretty glossy, but I like the affect. Looks like I used oils with a glossy gel basically.

Thanks for the feedback. Ill post the fineshed ones in Blackbook under canvas most like.

7. alure

alure Dirty Dozen Crew

beautiful dawling..;]

8. DEE38

DEE38 12oz Loyalist

gatita its turning out nicely! well.. ive had a bad experience with paint pens..... like they said it comes out glossy but yours looks real good.

the worse is using a paint pen, say a black one, then spraypainting over it.. and it leaves this ugly purplish/metallic gloss.. its almost impossible to get rid of unless i guess you gesso it again. :(

9. Gunm

Gunm Banned

hmmmmm........

I'll decline comment

10. gatita

gatita Senior Member

Well LENS, due to your non-comment comment... you obviously want to say something..

But remember. Constructive criticism is prefered, so if you do have anything negative to say, make sure to put a :p after...

haha ;)

11. 455

455 Guest

looks pretty good-if you want to enhance the glossy effect even more and preserve the texture..I would recommend laying about 3 coats of clear over the top of it....the colors will also be turn out much more vibrant.....

12. gatita

gatita Senior Member

Polyerethane [I know I spelt that wrong.. my bad..]?
    or what else do you feel is appropriate?

I began adding the fan in to bring the two fish together more.. and I still have to add detail to the lower white koi (you can see the full painting here www.cinella.net/koifull.jpg) Obviously in the photo the fan hasnt been added yet.

Another thing; this thread wasnt really supposed to be a crit of my work, but rather a discussion on paint pens. Lets talk paint pens, what do you guys feel is the best one? I use deco but I found this other type [dont know the name off hand] that works a lot better and the tip doesnt fuck up as easily. But the only prob is they are a tad more expensive and also dont mix well with Deco.

13. T=E=A=S=E

T=E=A=S=E Elite Member

14. why write?

why write? Veteran Member

15. Zack Morris

Zack Morris Veteran Member

I am with you on the deco's, except for silvers and golds. The krylon paint pens work awesome for those colors. They are so bright and the best part is if you give them 5 minutes to dry you can outline over then with absolutely no problem. I have played with uni's alot and I like them for filling things in and doing large sections of work but thats as far as I can use them. The nibs on the smaller ones tend to get too juicy to get a good clean line.