Soon Ill be a soldier - part 3..its official

mapo wc

I decided that infantry was wack and decided to get out of it while I still had the chance. Surprisingly they didnt mind that I wanted to change my job. I guess its when you decide that you're changing your mind and not entering Army at all that they put up a fight. Unfortunately the only thing available to people wanting 2 year enlistments is combat jobs. I did quite a bit of research on my options. I went straight to the source, by using AOLs member directory to search and IM people who currently or previously had the jobs. After alot of thought, I decided to go with 19Kilo, a tanker. Yes, Ill be driving those big fucking green tanks around and shooting big ass rounds from them. From what Ive learned from the job, its alot of hard work. Youre responsible for fixing the tank if stuff breaks down and keeping maintenance on it. You have to fill out a form on the maintenance of the tank and shit. He told me alot of time is spent sweating while youre in some place fixing some part to a tank.

On the upside, although when youre working, its hard work..there is considerable free time. Im the type thats willing to work harder in exchange for less hours. He also told me that there are several basketball leagues for people at the barracks, usually you have platoons play against each other and stuff. He said I should have plenty of time if I want to take college courses or play in bball leagues. They dont go to the field as much as infantry does. Usually they go for about a week for every month. 3-4 months out of the year. Thats quite a bit but its the price Ill have to pay for a 2 year enlistment. And when theyre sent to the field for war sim - they even get to sleep in the tank. Given the option of sleeping alone in a tank or with some other guys in a tent, I take the tank every time.

Infantry is a wack ass job nobody wants. So to get people to join they offer bonuses and the max in college money. Well today I told the guy I wanted to change jobs and he said 'ok, I want to make sure you keep all the same bonuses and things you had from before'. So even though I wont go infantry I get the infantry bonus and shit - damn Im good, haha! So Ill be getting a $3000 cash bonus and the max $26,500 for college.

So September 13 I leave to Fort Knox, Kentucky for 17 weeks of basic training. Combat jobs get a longer basic training because they just combine your job training with basic training. And Ill be going to a fort where only tankers go, so theres alot of tank stuff involved in our basic which should be cool. Ive been a Floridian my whole life and Ill be in Kentucky running out there in the freezing cold through the whole month of december and alot of january. Fuck! Does it snow in KY? I think north FL is cold so Kentucky is gonna be fuckin freezing! Esecially at 4am!

Ill still be posting on 12oz until I leave.

And will post on here regularly again when I get in my barracks. When theres 1 year left on your contract the Army asks you if you want to stay or not. My answer is no. If I express any doubt whatsoever on here..remind me that I must be getting brainwashed because I must leave after 2 years!

And Secret, if youre reading this, reply and tell me how your brothers doing and what he thinks of the Army, Ill try to hit you up on instant message too.

Just wanted to keep everyone updated. When Im done basic Ill come on here and tell everyone how it was.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

damn mapo..your going to be about 30 minutes away from me. yes it snows in kentucky..the winters are cold...I don't really know what to compare it to though since I have lived here my entire life. but its not that bad (I'm used to it)...email me your AIM name if you want the basic chit chat on kentucky.

yours truly,

Zack Morris

------------------

til I change my mind..STRAIGHT EDGE!!!!!

Archived