Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Sony Upgrades PS2

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Weapon X, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Weapon X

Weapon X 12oz Loyalist

Sony threw the gaming industry its second curve ball in less than a month Wednesday, unveiling the PSX, an upgraded PlayStation 2 that takes the console far beyond its gaming roots. The revamped PS2 comes with a built-in DVD recorder, a TV tuner, a 120 GB hard drive and will let owners download movies and music from the Internet.

The machine will go on sale in Japan later this year and hit U.S. and European stores in early 2004. Sony did not give an expected price for the PSX.

Sony (SNE: Research, Estimates) had previously announced plans to begin selling a revamped PS2 in June, which would play re-writeable DVDs, come bundled with an online adaptor and run quieter than current models. Today's announcement is an entirely different machine, however.

"The PSX looks like a broad-functioned home network device that, in part, people speculated would be part of the PS3," said Stewart Halpern, managing director and analyst for RBC Capital Markets. "But they're announcing it as a separate product. I don't see this as the next generation of the game player."

Sony held back pertinent details about the PSX in its presentation, but the set-up of the device implies that in addition to playing all PlayStation and PS2 games, owners will also be able to record television shows to the hard drive (much like TiVo owners can now do) and burn copies of those shows to DVD.

The PSX will come equipped with an Ethernet adaptor for high-speed internet service (though it appears the machine will not support dial-up access). It will also come equipped with a USB 2.0 port, allowing high speed data transfers, and will have a slot for Sony's memory stick data storage technology. And unlike the PS2, which has a disk loading tray like your computer's CD-ROM drive, the PSX will feature a sleeker slot-loading device, letting you simply slide your games, movies and more into the top of the machine. Functionally, this doesn't add much – but it does add to the PSX's "cool factor".

The PSX announcement comes as the gaming industry has been speculating what Sony would offer with the PlayStation 3, whose features are expected to be unveiled next year. Most of that speculation has included some sort of home entertainment functionality. Analysts have questioned, though, how Sony might include those functions and keep the PS3's price at an acceptable level. Halpern said today's announcement could be a hint that the company views the PS3 solely as a gaming device.

"This gives Sony a solution," he said. "This unifying home entertainment box is separate from the PS3, so it gives consumers the option to buy the PS3 as a dedicated game machine ... instead of forcing people to pay more for a device that has functionality they may not care about."

honestly, I can't bother with anymore cutting and pasting. it takes about four minutes to do noe paragraph ever since my ie fucked up.

there are pictures, as well as the rest of the article here:

http://money.cnn.com/2003/05/28/commentary...aming/index.htm

2. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Veteran Member

I just bought MegaMan8 for $15 new.

I dont need fancy hard drives and shit for gaming.
    There's certain games I'd rather play on a computer anyways.
    Consoles should be arcade fast and fun.

3. rubbish heap

rubbish heap Senior Member

haven't played video games in years. NES/SNES/Genesis games were the best, though... gotta love the original Sonic :p

4. FratGuyJoe

FratGuyJoe Junior Member

finally the games load faster!!!!!
    i honestly don't think that i'll bother with another gaming system - i've only bought 2 games for my ps2 in the past 3 years anyway - but i wouldn't mind owning it though.:cool:

5. JesusMachine

JesusMachine Elite Member

i actually like Sonic 2 better. anyways the original sonic had that dope song in the underwater level.

6. keep

keep Guest

the DVDR sounds cool, but that means that its going to be in the $500 range

7. yoink

yoink Elite Member

the only problem is soon, theyll release ps3 after that, then x box two...etc...

8. WrIot

WrIot Senior Member

THAT SHIT IS THE SIZE OF A XBOX

9. Swiffer Jet

Swiffer Jet Elite Member

psh. that's too much.

i would rather play super nintendo than the revamped PS2 anyday.

10. rubbish heap

rubbish heap Senior Member

riiiiiight on... i couldn't agree more.

11. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del Guest

i read about this in some gaming mag a while ago. their also releasing their own gameboy type of device, but it will also kind of be a pda.

:confused:

i dont even have a plasystation.

i just wish nintendo would get the guts to make some violent ass games like the gta franchise.

12. Dirty_habiT

Dirty_habiT Administrator

Let's figure out how to download PS2 games and burn them with it. [Dhabs that's a fantastic idea]

13. rental

rental Dirty Dozen Crew

hey! dirty! got aim?

14. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

isnt that a lot ? i think my computer only has 30

15. FratGuyJoe

FratGuyJoe Junior Member

^^^^^ it's probably not too much for this cause game files and movie files are big.