>>--| Song of the Week |--<<

Guest imported_El Mamerro

-Song of the Week-

Hello. I will be hosting a different song every Wednesday. I'll pick out something I'm enjoying at the moment, put it online, and offer a link to it with a short description. This will go on until my hosts freak the hell out and tell me to stop using so much bandwidth.

You have three options:

A) Download the song and enjoy.

B) Be like "fuck this shit" and not download the song.

C) Download the song and NOT enjoy. This is where you eat my ass.

Rules for thread participation:

• You may post any comments you like.

• You may post links to actual downloadable mp3's online.

• If you do post a song, it must be only one a week, and must be posted on Wednesday. Include a description.

• You may NOT post song suggestions for people to go get on their own.

• You may NOT post short audio clips or low bitrate versions.

4/7/04-Today's song:

Lito y Polaco, "La Calle"

Although this is reggaetón, which means highly danceable and DPC-friendly, it's got pretty pissed-off lyrics and tons of gunshot sounds. The result is something you can listen to get amped and kick someone's ass, or you can get amped to hump girls. We all win with this wonderful combination.

Have fun, and see you next Wednesday for the next installment.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Wordness K3, date is up. But there will only be one thread though, not multiples like Beardo's.

I also forgot to add that songs will be up only one week. The arrival of a new song means removal of the previous.

ohhh.... I though every wednesday you'd do an 'of the week' thread but now I see that's not the case.

I trust you with the logistics of this operation.

oh...

are you talking about editing the first post to

always keep the 'song of the week' in the first post?

Nope, the posts will remain the same, I will make new posts (not threads) for new songs. That way an archive can be kept of what's been posted before, even though the links won't work. It'll be easier to keep the comment flow too, otherwise the first comments on the thread will be referring to songs no longer listed and people will be like OMG WTF.

Mamerrito, can you suggest some FREE mp3 sites for Macs?

Also, is there any way to make mp3's from your own CD's?

I would buy mp3's from Itunes, but I used the software restore disks. Then I tried to download the software install CD, it didn't work, and now my Itunes is gone.

Guest imported_Tesseract

This thread fuckin rocks and i got a folder names mamerro on my music folders as off now.

The only reason this isnt a sticky is that seeing it poped up means new dope music for your ears.

Originally posted by Fuck Ya'll

Mamerrito, can you suggest some FREE mp3 sites for Macs?

Also, is there any way to make mp3's from your own CD's?

I would buy mp3's from Itunes, but I used the software restore disks. Then I tried to download the software install CD, it didn't work, and now my Itunes is gone.

Easy... just go to the apple site and download it for free, no CD required.

After you got it installed, put in whatever CD you have, choose whatever songs on it you want to make into mp3's, and click the "import" button. Bling.

As for downloading programs, I'd suggest LimeWire. It used to suck donkey balls, but has since been rocking it pretty well. I'm actually using the iTunes Music Store a lot too, the service and ease of use alone is worth the $0.99.

Poops, I'm not a particularly big fan of bands and contemporary rock in general, but this is very enjoyable.

I'm bumping this for the sole reason that this has been an INTENSE FUCKING WEEKEND of boat/island madness in which I witnessed my dad doing things I wish I remember seeing him do.

Also, after the serious partying ocurred these past three days, I am absolutely intent on doing my best to propagate and popularize this music (reggaeton) throughout the US, cause I am absolutely convinced it is key to getting a party truly kicking. So, whenever I put up a reggaeton song you're feeling, do like the Hawaii DPC chapter did with "La Maquina", and play that shit like crazy at whatever parties you attend.

This is where I pass the fuck out.

Originally posted by El Mamerro

(reggaeton)

id like to agree, but having been exposed to this genre all my life, i cant fucking stand it. i have to agree that it does get parties started, but i after a while, i cant fucken stand it..the same boom da boom da -type beat..maybe i havent been exposed to all the artists of this genre but i find this music highly obnoxious..the song you posted i cant get due to my connection but it sounds good...

^^You know, for a long time I thought the same as you... I witnessed the genre slowly coming to life from the very first Playero and the Noise in the early 90's mixtapes to what it has become today... and for the vast majority of time in between I always thought it sucked monkey nuts. I used to hate the reggae flavored parts (it used to be a mix of hip hop beats and dancehall beats, literally switching back and forth), since I was all bboyed out and only dug it when the hip hop parts came on. I kept telling everyone that like 90% of all that becomes popular in PR, this shit would fade away quick.

And now I come back after 5 years in the states and I see a genre that finally started getting their shit right, with dope producers making original stuff that isn't a modified Wu-Tang beats. For most of it's life, the genre was a straight imitation of whatever was hot in the US at the moment, from beats to verse structures (this still happens to some extent... pay attention to the song I posted and you'll notice a small little riff that sounds awfully similar to the one in Britney Spear's "Toxic"). The schizophrenia stopped, the genre decided to stick to the danceable, and in some instances stopped having rap verses in it altogether (a good number of these songs now more melodic singing than rapping). As a whole the music has matured a damn lot and for the first time, I see actual good music being made within this genre. Some music experts have come forth stating that there is good reason to believe that this genre will balloon into the next latin supergenre, standing shoulder-to-shoulder with salsa and merengue. If the production quality keeps improving at the rate it's been going the past few years, I can definitely see this happen.

--04/14/04--

--Song of the Week--

Shiet, it's a bit harder than I thought picking out one song. After much deliberation, and a weekend of tropical island boat insanity, I have decided to present a song that not only brought tons of enjoyment to us, but also offers a brief history lesson on an important era of salsa, the boogaloo ages.

First, an excerpt from salsacrazy.com:

"Boogalu (a.k.a. Boogaloo), a fusion of Rhythm and Blues and Cuban son montuno, was popular in the United States from 1966-69. Boogalu was the first contemporary Latin music form that captured my attention because of its funky sounds, engaging choral chants by the audience, English lyrics, references to symbols of African American culture (“cornbread, hog maws and chitlins”), and background sounds of raucous party goers. Boogalu was a highly successful crossover musical style, capturing the attention of audiences who were previously not familiar with Latin music."

“As neighbors and coworkers, African Americans and Puerto Ricans in New York had been partying together for many years. For decades they had been frequenting the same clubs, with Black and Latin bands often sharing the billing … African American audiences generally appreciated and enjoyed Latin music styles, yet those who fully understood the intricacies of Afro-Cuban rhythms and came to master the challenging dance movements remained the exception rather than the rule… Popular Latin bands found themselves creating a musical common ground by introducing the trappings of Black American culture into their performances and thus getting the Black audiences involved and onto the dance floor. “Bang Bang” by the Joe Cuba sextet and Latin boogaloo music in general was intended to constitute this meeting place between Puerto Ricans and Blacks and by extension, between Latin music and the music culture of the United States.” (Flores 2000)

The style flourished briefly, quickly fading away and sadly forgotten. The emergence of Fania and "salsa gorda" in the 70's pushed boogaloo out of the limelight and settled as the definitive sound of latin music.

For most of my childhood, I wasn't even aware this style existed (didn't even know salsa had "styles"... I was too busy banging my head to Motley Crüe to even care). Then in 1991, an emerging rap pioneer by the name of Vico-C, who went on to become the most important name in latin hip hop (practically creating the niche), brought it back with his smash hit "La Inglesa", a fusion of boogaloo and hip hop beats. Built on a salsa piano vamp, it brilliantly blends live and programmed percussion, call and response, English and Spanish, sung vocals and rap. It definitely tips the cheese scales, but again, what in the early 90's didn't? What's important is that this is one of the fucking hottest beats ever created.

Soon afterwards, Budweiser adapted the style for it's ridiculously fucking catchy "Virazón" summer campaign, which went on to define at least 3-4 years of wild summer partying. Every year May would come, the ads would begin appearing on TV and the radio, and the boogaloo music would remind us of the awesome summer months about to arrive.

This past Sunday morning at 8:00 AM we were heading back home after a solid weekend of drinking on boats, sleeping on boats, eating on boats, dancing on boats, in Culebra (same place as the Labor Days thread). Despite us being completely fucking destroyed and slightly unable to move, we passed this little island on our way and it looked just as good as it does in that picture... so we're like "You know, let's drop anchor there and have a little something to eat and a little bath for like an hour and we can get on our way".

PFFFFFFFFFFF. No sooner had we dropped anchor, we hear the beginning notes of "La Inglesa" coming out of one of our companion boats' stereos. Bad fucking idea. Sure enough, we were all dancing and drinking rum all over again in a matter of seconds, ended up spending the entire day there and getting unbelievably smashed... again. It rocked.

So, with the hopes you feel a little bit of what I felt that Sunday, and what the whole island felt the summers of '92-'96, I present to you:

Vico-C, "La Inglesa"

Enjoy, and see you next week.

Modest Mouse - Float On

From Modest Mouse's newest album Good News for People Who Love Bad News, "Float On" is the first single. Those familiar with Modest Mouse can tell this song was kind of tailored for radio play, but, at least to me, it still fucking rocks. It's been on heavy rotation (the whole album, that is) for the past week. Highly recommended.