sometimes your not the best

Giving Tree

and it makes you want to punch in your throat.

i just started my intro painting course.. and i FUCKING SUCK.. oil paints were never ever meant to be in my hands... god.. i mean, things have sucked before.. but i am one of the worst painters POSSIBLE.. everything ends up this same grey color.. jesus.. its very very frustrating.. anyone start off this way? any development or tips?

im a sculpter.. not a painter.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I've never oil painted before but some of Titian's and Bosch's oil paintings are awesome. And I usually really hate art history.

http://webexhibits.org/feast/i/gallery/paintings/titian-andrians-full.jpg'> titian

http://www.fictionwise.com/knight/bosch.emil.tempt_c2.jpg'>bosch

these small pics really do the paintings little justice but just to give you an example

ha-ha. I'm right there with ya. I'll give ya the secret I learned with oil painting. I wasted the entire semester trying to paint nice looking stuff. Spent tons of hours in the studio painting. The end of the semester rolled around, I owed the teacher 5 paintings because I was out sick for two weeks and I had exactly one day to finish them. I went in around midnight after hitting the bars. I spent about 30 minutes on each painting using nothing but a palette knife. I was almost out of paint, so I really had to scrape the last bits off the masonite I was using as a palette. The last two were half paint and half masonite. The teacher about wet herself. She wouldn't shut up about how good they were. I just sat there thinking, you gotta be kidding me. I waste all that time trying to make this shit look good, when all I had to do was get drunk and slop the paint on with a palette knife in less than 30 minutes. damn.

sculpture...I sanded the prints off my finger tips. love it.

oil paints are really hard to work with. in my freshman year i took an oil painting class, and i kinda had a hard time. one thing to remember, is to really try and not put anymore paint on the canvas than necessary while it is still wet, because it gets too hectic- i kept the pigment on my canvases as thin as possible without being seethrough. i also tried to avoid over-blending the colors because like you said, everything turns into a gross muddy grey color. it can also be a good idea to wait a while, like a week or so, until the paint isnt so wet and is a little tacky so you can paint over it without blending too much.

blah, i dunno, i hope this helped some.

:o

Originally posted by Kr430n5_666

http://www.metal-reviews.com/images/btvocal.gif'>

sometimes i worry about you..

you seem so mad, and so distant, yet an ever present blip on the radar that noone can really identify.. but pops up to be weirder and weirder until the government can make a cover up for your exhistence.

and other times i just think you need a kitten to cuddle with..

http://www.saugus.net/Photos/images/kitten.jpg'>

then you'd be a bit happier.

Originally posted by SteveAustin

ha-ha. I'm right there with ya. I'll give ya the secret I learned with oil painting. I wasted the entire semester trying to paint nice looking stuff. Spent tons of hours in the studio painting. The end of the semester rolled around, I owed the teacher 5 paintings because I was out sick for two weeks and I had exactly one day to finish them. I went in around midnight after hitting the bars. I spent about 30 minutes on each painting using nothing but a palette knife. I was almost out of paint, so I really had to scrape the last bits off the masonite I was using as a palette. The last two were half paint and half masonite. The teacher about wet herself. She wouldn't shut up about how good they were. I just sat there thinking, you gotta be kidding me. I waste all that time trying to make this shit look good, when all I had to do was get drunk and slop the paint on with a palette knife in less than 30 minutes. damn.

i want to see them if possible

i love to paint with oils.. the best thing is to do thin layers and build up,which you prolly already kno, and don't blend everything to much at once because eventually it looks smooth when you're done, and oils take a few layers (oils are meant to look smooth and realistic).. if you can, don't use the oils from tubes because they take about three days to completely dry..i use oil bars,they look like big thick crayons.. they're easier to use, a little less messy, and dry within 24 hours;) good luck and don't worry you'll be a picasso in no time

Originally posted by Giving Tree

i hate it soo bad......... i mean, im going to try anyway..... but it's embarrasing to be a shitty artist and have to show the class shit,

Just do it because you have to but every artist has their own nitch as far as "mediums" go. It does take practice, trial and error you know? I sucked so bad in my painting class but I had to take it and yeah i got a fucking B like it should even be graded.

well this piece was supposed to be a quick ala prema or something.. all done in one setting.. we used these weird water based oils cuz we're in a crappy room..

i have yet to get the digital cam.. but i do definately intend on showing you guys how shitty my stuff is.. another thing i think i need to start doing is working lighter to dark.. instead of just blah everywhere..

thumbs down to painting right now..

i went through alot of frusteration with my first painting class also, which was oils also, some kids hate acrylics, some hate oils, but trust me even if painting is not your thing, the more you criticize yourself, and get nitty and gritty with every centimeter the worse it is, just try to get real loose with the paint, and the colors dont bear down to hard on your self, also think they are meant to be seen from a distance ;) that helps!) , also use some some real extreme colors sometimes for the shades, or highlights, and good luck, just keep on keeping on.

blank canvas.......base coat of Clover Green or Teal Blue/faded with Summer Squash....let that dry,and use acrylic over the top of that...gives a nice background and makes the surface super good to paint on.....oils are dope too......I go from dark to light....because you can fade the darks out to nothing and then hint out with the lighter colors....blend the middle and there you go...good luck.

Archived