someone good with colors....please help

Guest cazper

Guest cazper

ok i just did this piece in this guys book and i dont wanna fuck it up cuz this guy is tight as fuck and i'm lucky to be even be putting something in his book. Now I'm horrible with colors, what 4 colors would be good for an old school style, sorta like Can2? i have a 24 set of prismas so im sorta set for right now, but i think im goin to get some more tomorrow so.......any suggestions?

thanks, also if i do color it tonight i'll post it tonight or when i wake up tomorrow

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest cazper

yall probably think im just some dumb kid actin like he can write and he has skillz....im serious, i really need some color help, my color imagination sux....

Guest cazper

well i think im gonna be using 4 colors:

1)sienns brown(sorta tan, little darker)

2)red

3)orange....

4)and maybe some green..

see, told u i was horrible with colors

ok lets see what i can do here......ummm

orange and blue colors go together...

green and purple go together....

red and yellow go together.......just keep that in mind...

try using about 3-4 colors only...or else it will make people heads turn earlier than you want them too....but some people can pull it off....they are just very smart..haha....try getting a color wheel and study how it works and try and memorize color skemes that work together..then it just comes naturally.....i dont know what im talking about anymore....oh yea colors...um....oh and neutral colros go together well....you know...black, white, brown, and grey....thats it..im tired of this thread..p

Guest beard

do 4 shades of the same color with a black outline. cant go wrong.

i suggest yellows, cus yellow is cool and not enough people use it.

then again, nasty ass barf/diarrhia greens are real nice.

and reddish oranges are just blazing.

you get the idea.

black outline, and use the lightest fill color to do an outer shell thingie, then leave it alone. please dont do a bunch of bubbles and cheesy tech graphics as a background.

I find these personal choice questions pretty strange. Especially when you're a Graffer yourself! Don't any colour combos or schemes look appealing to your eyes?

If you have the ability to sense a horrible colour choice then you should be able to do the opposite.

Suggestions are always cool but picking apart your favourite graf pieces, or any other works of art, and finding out why you feel a particular colour, tone, angle, style etc., usually ends in solid development.

I'm looking forward to your post.

Color schemes

I usually stick to lighter colors for the basic fill when working on paper with prismas. Then use darker colors for the designs. Thats why I liked the old metal Design Markers that had the 0 value colors. AD markers can still be had with some ultra light shades. Anyways thats just my personal choice, I ve seen dope pieces pulled off with dark fills too. If you have a color chart you can use the complimentary color of your basic fill to rock your force field and it will help pop the piece out and give you some contras. Take it for what its worth and dont limit yourself.

Originally posted by beard

do 4 shades of the same color with a black outline. cant go wrong.

i suggest yellows, cus yellow is cool and not enough people use it.

then again, nasty ass barf/diarrhia greens are real nice.

and reddish oranges are just blazing.

you get the idea.

black outline, and use the lightest fill color to do an outer shell thingie, then leave it alone. please dont do a bunch of bubbles and cheesy tech graphics as a background.

outline the black with a hot neon color like turquois or pink. It will make your sketch jump off the paper.

some basics on color schemes from grade school art class:

primary

red, blue, yellow

secondary

orange, purple, green

warm

red, orange, yellow

cool

purple, blue, green

complementary

red,green

blue,orange

purple,yellow

split complementary - fresh

red, yellow-green, blue-green

purple, yellow-green, yellow-orange

blue, yellow-orange, red-orange

green, red-orange, red-violet

yellow, red-violet, blue-violet

orange, blue-violet, blue-green

that's all for today's lesson.

i was gonna say ask beardo.....

but hes already chimed in...easy on my bubbles mangs...hahaha...nevermind im not sending you a flick...

i dig the peach in the prisma set for shell as well as the pink....the shades of blue, as beards was mentioning, would be cool, esp cause in the 24 set, they lack yellows severely, but have like 5 shades of blue....

the last ones i did had peach/yellow/red/orange, and purple/sky blue/navyblue....love them markers...

Guest MRBURNS

THE BLACKBOOK LESSON

SUPPLIES: INKING PENS, SHARPIES, DESIGN MARKERS, PRISMACOLOR COLORED PENCILS, AND WHITE HALLMARK GEL-PENS (IF U DONT KNOW, GO GET ONE AT HALLMARK DICKHEAD)

PRISMACOLOR PENCILS ARE WAXBASED, WHICH MEANS THEY APPLY KINDA LIKE CRAYONS, EXCEPT THE NEATNESS OF A PENCIL. SO U CAN COLOR A PIECE IN DARK, AND DO DESIGNS AND HIGHLIGHTS WITH COLORED PENCILS. THE GEL-PENS ARE SWEET FOR WHITE SHINES IF YOUR NOT DRAWING SOMETHING ENOURMOUS. INK YOUR JOINT, FILL THE BASICS WITH MARKERS, AND GET BUSY WITH SOME PENCILS. (IF U GOT MONEY, BUY EM, IF U GOT SKILLS, RACK EM)

OR, PAINT MARKERS. IF U FILL A PIECE IN WITH PAINT MARKERS, U CAN DO ANY COLOR, OVER ANY COLOR, OVER AND OVER AGAIN TILL U GET IT RIGHT..THEY DONT COME OUT SUPER CRISPY, BUT CRISPY ENOUGH. A FEW PEOPLE I KNOW DRAW LIKE THAT. ITS MORE LIKE PAINTING.

Guest MRBURNS

CONTRAST

CONTRAST IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ELEMENT IN PIECES I THINK..SOME PEOPLE GO FOR THE SUDDLE LOOK, BUT IM MORE INTO SERIOUS CONTRAST NOW.

WHAT U WANT IS, IF SOMEONE TOOK A PIC OF YOUR PIECE IN BLACK AND WHITE, TO STILL BE ABLE TO SEE ALL OF THE DETAIL. BUT, TO TAKE IT A STEP PAST "LIGHT PIECE, DARK OUTLINE" TRY DOING "LIGHT PIECE, DARK 3D, BRIGHT OUTLINE" IF I DO A WARM COLORED PIECE, I TRY AND DO A COLD OUTLINE, I THINK IT JUST MAKES IT JUMP A LITTLE MORE. AND FOR MORE CONTRAST, THE RIGHT BORDER AND WHITE HIGHLIGHTS. EVERY COLOR SHOULD BE LIKE LIGHT NEXT TO DARK, NEXT TO BRIGHT, NEXT TO DARK..ETC.

EXAMPLE: YELLOW FILL, DARK PURPLE 3D, TEAL OUTLINE, WHITE HIGHLIGHT, HOT PINK BORDER...

Guest beard

haha.. now that ive gotten shit 2 times for the hip hop bubbles comment, i'll clarify..

i think while youre a youngin just learning how to do this stuff its best to keep it pretty simple. by omitting a bunch of hip hop bubbles from your background (in your sketchbook at least) you can see much better what youve actually done, theres no bullshit behind your sketch distracting you. once youve got a bit of a better idea what youre doing, have at them bubbles all you want, hopefully you will have learned how to use them tastefully, rather than throwing them around just to make your shit look more like graffiti. also, hip hop bubbles are just fine in moderation. my personal preference is for a few little ones sticking out on the sides, not whole pages full of 20 layers of different colored bubbles. i generally feel the same way about wall pieces. i meant my original comment as it pertains to your sketchbook, where youre just practicing for the wall. youll get a better understanding without all the extra stuff thrown in.

Prismas

What I dislike most about Prismas, and most other markers is that they don't behave like paint, so you're not really getting any practice out of using them that you can apply to a real world scenario. I would suggest a black outline, on white paper, follow it up with a bright forcefield. (Try a shade of pink.) The contrast is already there, black on white, and the forcefield will seperate the drawing from the remaining portion of the page.

The simple scheme will also testify as to how neat you can be and place emphasis on your letters. If your aim is to impress, then this is the way to go.

Remember, the key is to have fun. What I have suggested may not be your cup of tea, but give it a try and enjoy yourself.

:stretch:

Originally posted by noezywriter

ok lets see what i can do here......ummm

try getting a color wheel and study how it works and try and memorize color skemes that work together..then it just comes naturally

WERD UP! FINALLY! someone with brains. i love color wheels, i stole one when i was in middle school and i still got it, over 5-6 years old... it comes in handy... trust me, this guy knows his shit, and he just prooved it... i had gotten the idea one time when iwas in miami and i saw.... who was it... one of the 3d guys... that paints with ozone... dont remember anyways, yeah, he also tought me how to make a stencil cap...

"Especially when you're a Graffer yourself! "

look im not one to say whats right and wrong here, but that fucking term "graffer" is so fucking irritating i just cant let it slide...youre not a "graffer" and you dont do "graffing"....sorry

thanks for the clarification beardo, i figured that was your angle......;)

Archived