Somebody tell me what car to buy...

Tyler Durden

Ok. I need to buy a car. My new job entails that I drive alot and winters coming and not only does my MK2 Jetta no longer have a heater core, but I have a sneaking suspicion that its just going to catch fire soon. How do I know this? I don't. But it's been running good for a few months now which is out of the ordinary so I figure it's saving up to fuck me royally once it gets cold and I need to go to work.

So, I've begun shopping around for something else. I have a few possible candidates in mind...but I want to know if anyone has any experience with them.

My system for disqualifying cars is as follows...

1) NOTHING EURO. Especially VW's. If I've learned one thing from talking to people who have owned them (and it's all generations....not just MK2's.) VW's seem to be notoriously unreliable the majority of the time. I keep finding more and more people who are swearing that they will never buy dubs again after purchasing MK4's and me getting my car fixed is a whole other story where it takes weeks but is next to free...So where I've been lucky with that up till now, I need something cheap to fix that I can get fixed at more places than the one thats 40 miles away. Basically, unless your going to be buying me a brand new M-5 then just dont suggest anything euro.

2) RELIABLE. This speaks for itself.

3) MOTHERFUCKING AFFORDABLE. Yes, it's obviously a challenge.But I really want to avoid leasing something new (I drive way too much to do that shit and am not into paying alot of cash every month....) Actually I really dont like leasing/financing in general...

4) NEWER THAN 95-96. I don't know. It seems like a good cutoff year...I've never owned anything newer than 89 and I'm tired of "older" cars.

THE CANDIDATES.

Any experience with these? Or offer your own suggestions...

1) Honda Civic/Accord- I've always really hated Honda's. Mostly because of "The Fast and the Furious." but the more I read about them...the more I find that they just keep getting praise for being extremely reliable...unfortunately this makes their resale value high which means I have to pay alot more than I'd like...so...are they REALLY worth it? Or am I missing a lower cost option that is comparable reliabliity-wise?

2) Dodge Neon- I've also always hated these cars. But they're domestic which means cheaper repair costs and they are extremely cheap to buy. But I've heard that they break as much or more than VW's...which is fucking gay.

3) Something from Saturn- Someone was ranting to me the other day about how reliable Saturns are but I honestly havent read too much into them yet...

4) Mazda 626- I see alot of these around. My girl owns one that she abuses horribly and it still runs rather well...

So...yeah...help a nigga out.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i would recommend the honda accord...ive had two and they are great cars. affordable too if you get one thats two or three years old which is the best bet because honestly, its a fucking honda....the guy before you could have driven it like a nut and odds are good it will still make 200k miles without causing you any major problems.

Saturns..Number one stolen car by tweakers.

Civic/Accord is your best bet. For the price you can't beat'em. They fuckin run forever....Number two car stolen by tweakers.

Boxcars has a point though..Toyota is an extremely good car with an excellent reputation. Take a look at what they have to offer.

Hit up a toyota or a honda. The scion (toyota + hiphop advertisments) xA is like $12k brand new and comes pretty nice stock (CD/MP3 player and decent stereo, power windows and locks, decent interior, etc). It's like a mini version of the matrix and is retardedly reliable (it's been out for a couple years in japan as the ist).

Out of the candidates you shortlisted, id say the accord - low cost luxury, and you can get a good 250-300k miles out of a honda engine no questions asked.

Also, Toyota camry/corolla, Nissan pulsar (Dont know if these are in the US, might be called sumthing else)

Over and out.

Ever more stringent emissions regulations across the world are challenging automotive manufacturers to create engines that meet the needs of the environment whilst still satisfying the demands of consumers for vehicles that are fun to drive.

Honeywell Turbo Technologies is working closely with its customers on partnership programs that focus on engine downsizing, emissions control and fuel economy – but not at the expense of driveability.

These goals are complementary and bring together the performance qualities to make an automobile safe, clean and fun to drive. Honeywell turbochargers deliver significant benefits to end users:

Safer: A turbocharged engine can generate as much as 7 times more power than a naturally aspirated (non-turbocharged) engine of equivalent displacement. For example, Formula 1 1.5L turbocharged engines produced more than 1000HP. In more standard applications, it is realistic to double the power of a given engine through turbocharging, making vehicles more responsive and safer to drive. Turbochargers also prevent the loss of power at high altitudes, thus providing significant advantages to turbocharged trucks and off-road machinery.

More economical: Turbochargers harness and recycle the energy produced by automobile engines, transforming more of the fuel energy consumed into power by creating less parasitic heat and friction. As a result, turbocharged engines deliver significant fuel cost advantages over their naturally-aspirated counterparts.

Greener: Because a turbocharger delivers more air to the engine, fuel combustion is easier, more thorough and therefore cleaner. Today’s turbocharged diesel engines produce 50% less NOx and CO2 emissions than conventional engines.

More Fun: Turbochargers deliver greater torque which, in turn, translates into improved performance on the road and make driving a real pleasure.

large_1_ex.jpg

a civic is a good idea. you could go with an acura el as well. more options and if you shop you can find a good newer one for the same price.

dont go domestic. imports dont have that many problems. those new mazda 3s are not so bad. cheap and they look great, the civic and el and corolla dont have shit on them.

buy an ex demo from a dealership, and remember, if your gonna buy on the spot kind of thing, know what you want exactly and come in to the dealership at month end. you can bend them more price wise close to comission time.

Originally posted by Dirty_habiT@Oct 26 2004, 05:00 PM

Ever more stringent emissions regulations across the world are challenging automotive manufacturers to create engines that meet the needs of the environment whilst still satisfying the demands of consumers for vehicles that are fun to drive.

Honeywell Turbo Technologies is working closely with its customers on partnership programs that focus on engine downsizing, emissions control and fuel economy – but not at the expense of driveability.

These goals are complementary and bring together the performance qualities to make an automobile safe, clean and fun to drive. Honeywell turbochargers deliver significant benefits to end users:

Safer: A turbocharged engine can generate as much as 7 times more power than a naturally aspirated (non-turbocharged) engine of equivalent displacement. For example, Formula 1 1.5L turbocharged engines produced more than 1000HP. In more standard applications, it is realistic to double the power of a given engine through turbocharging, making vehicles more responsive and safer to drive. Turbochargers also prevent the loss of power at high altitudes, thus providing significant advantages to turbocharged trucks and off-road machinery.

More economical: Turbochargers harness and recycle the energy produced by automobile engines, transforming more of the fuel energy consumed into power by creating less parasitic heat and friction. As a result, turbocharged engines deliver significant fuel cost advantages over their naturally-aspirated counterparts.

Greener: Because a turbocharger delivers more air to the engine, fuel combustion is easier, more thorough and therefore cleaner. Today’s turbocharged diesel engines produce 50% less NOx and CO2 emissions than conventional engines.

More Fun: Turbochargers deliver greater torque which, in turn, translates into improved performance on the road and make driving a real pleasure.

large_1_ex.jpg

Forced Induction eats more fuel than a Naturally Aspirated car, contrary to what HTT says. Sure it will create more power and torque transfer from engine to wheels, but it has to push more fuel into the engine to do so. With that said, I dont think an AWD 2lt turbo such as an Evo8 would be ideal for business driving, nor is it really consistent with the other cars listed.

In regards to the Golf32, it is a nice car, european style and relativly efficient and reliable, however you may find that servicing and parts may be more expensive due to the fact that it is european.

Overall, id recomend a low displacement, naturally aspirated japanese car.

Civic, Accord, Pulsar, Camry, Corolla etc

subaru wrx. had the pleasure of riding passenger in one of these. the dude had it decked out, he worked for a parts store and always had new shit in/on his car. when he bought it, it already had rims, turbo, low pro's, and a really decent exhaust system in there, i should get a flik of it sometime. car is fresh.

please don't get a neon.

i've had a '93 Honda Accord for 7 years now, and it's still kicking... it's got over 150,000 miles on it. honda's are definitely reliable.

just look around and pay attention to the really old cars that are still on the road. that'll give you a good idea of what's reliable. there are a lot of old hondas and toyotas still driving out there.

i'm in the same boat as you... looking for a new car. i'm thinking about an Altima. 2003 or 2004........ yup

Alright.

First off...do not buy a NEON!!! Those things are HUGE pieces of shit. I personally know two people that have owned them. Both of them got rid of the car after it blew a head gasket when they were only 3-4 years old.

Any Japanese car is going to be worthwhile. Honda, Infiniti, Toyota, Lexus, Honda and Acura. Honda Civics and Acura Integras top the stolen lists typically...so you might want to avoid them. Its pretty hard to go wrong with any of the other models that any of these companies make.

I don't know how bad the winters are where you live...but if it snows enough that you have to drive in it...I'd recommend getting a Subaru. They're pretty much known for being bullet proof. They also use galvanized metal, so rust isn't the problem that it used to be in the 80s. The best all wheel drive system in my opinion. The Impreza is pretty dope looking and since the introduction of the WRX and the STi you should be able to find lots of RS models on the cheap. The WRX is worth a bit more if a car is more than just transportation...and if money is no object...than STi all the way.

the R32 would have been nice. but im really REALLY turned off to dubs now.

i would have gotten a mazda 3 but im really not looking to buy something BRAND new...which is why i said i would shoot for something in the 94-99 year area. new but not TOO new.

i'm living in nyc right now. and i was really tempted to get a brand new car...but its going to get dented, scratched, etc... a whole lot i would imagine and as it is my jetta got broken into the other night so im really going to invest in security stuff this time around...but i'd rather not have a 04' mazda 3 or scion get jacked.

so far the accord seems to be in the lead. i'm finding a few 97's that are under 100k for less than 6 g's. which is really more in my budget area...

here's another question: can i put a car on my credit card to avoid having to get collision if i were to finance? i have a pretty high credit limit and will have all my current purchases paid off shortly...i really only use the card for one large purchase at a time...and my payments are fairly low each month. i would feel alot better having normal insurance and paying visa than paying some dealership through financing and paying out my fucking ass on collision.

for those of you who dont know. living in ny...especially the metro area....means you pay a shitload for insurance...and im under 25 so its fucking ridiculous anyway. add on the random rate hikes for NO reason at all ( i have a spotless driving record...) and you get the world punishing you for living once again.