Soccer/football highlight film of 9-yr old phenom.

Poop Man Bob

Link to article.

Nine-year old Brazilian attracts interest

3358992.jpg

SAO PAULO, Brazil (AP) - At this rate, sonograms will become a soccer recruiting tool pretty soon.

Only 9 years old, Jean Carlos Chera is already being courted by top European clubs. (Associacao Desportiva Atletica/HO / AP)

Jean Carlos Chera, a 9-year-old who is 4-foot-6, is attracting interest from Manchester United and other top European teams. Chera, who weighs 77 pounds, currently plays for the youth teams of Associacao Desportiva Atletica, a small club in the southern Brazilian state of Parana.

Born in the Brazilian state of Mato Grosso, Chera, who is better known as "Anderson," has been playing football since he could walk and soon earned the nickname of "Maradona" in his hometown of Sinop, a farming community of 50,000 residents.

Late last year, a talent scout working with the Parana Sports Athletics Association discovered the phenom, and the child moved with his family to the city of Campo Mourao, Parana state. There he joined the children's team, playing with boys three or four years older than him.

"We have talent scouts in different parts of Brazil, who look for kids who show potential," team president Adilson Batista Prado was quoted in the Sydney Morning Herald. "In the case of Jean Carlos, he's a phenomenon, a diamond that must be worked on. I have never seen anything like it. ...

"Seven or eight European clubs have already contacted us to know more about Jean," Prado said in a telephone interview Thursday. "They want to know what he is all about, and I tell them he's a phenomenon, probably the best player to come out of Brazil."

Prado and team officials would not identify all the clubs interested in Jean, but confirmed that representatives of Manchester United have asked for videotapes of his matches.

Prado said teams from Portugal, France and Germany have made contact, and local media identified FC Porto as one of the teams.

The club said the European clubs haven't made official offers yet, but some have asked for permission to send representatives, and others have invited the midfielder and his family to go to Europe.

"He still needs to be a kid," said Prado, who does not allow Jean to talk to reporters.

Jean began to attract attention after the club put videos with highlights of Jean's matches on its Web site. In the videos, Jean is seen scoring goals from midfield, dribbling past several defenders and playing among 13- and 14-year-olds.

After the videos were posted, the site's page views nearly tripled and some of them had to be removed to keep the site from crashing, the club said.

Two years ago, Manchester and Inter Milan were among top clubs that expressed interest in then 14-year-old Freddy Adu, who signed Major League Soccer instead. European clubs generally are not allowed to use players from outside the European Union on their first teams until they turn 18.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by ElectricitySucks@Feb 1 2005, 09:15 PM

the video only shows clips when he scores. boo.

What? This kid is fuckin' nice man. He's basically making plays that pros make, at the age of 9. You have no idea man, unless you're at least as nice as this kid, which I doubt, since you decided to talk crap on how much talent the kid has.

Originally posted by Tough Love@Feb 1 2005, 09:51 PM

he's just good cuz hes playing against other little kids who blow

I was thinking this too, and it is somewhat true. Not to take away from the kid, he's obviously talented, but 90% of little kids suck balls, so if you are in that 10% that doesn't, you're going to look really good. I remember coaching a kid who was 9 too, and he played exactly like that kid does. But yeah, it's still obvious that he has crazy potential...

Oh, and Freddy Adu is 16 now. He plays in the MLS. I think he's pretty overrated, but maybe I'm just bitter......

Originally posted by Dr. Dazzle+Feb 2 2005, 01:57 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dr. Dazzle - Feb 2 2005, 01:57 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Tough Love@Feb 1 2005, 09:51 PM

he's just good cuz hes playing against other little kids who blow

I was thinking this too, and it is somewhat true. Not to take away from the kid, he's obviously talented, but 90% of little kids suck balls, so if you are in that 10% that doesn't, you're going to look really good. I remember coaching a kid who was 9 too, and he played exactly like that kid does. But yeah, it's still obvious that he has crazy potential...

Oh, and Freddy Adu is 16 now. He plays in the MLS. I think he's pretty overrated, but maybe I'm just bitter......

[/b]

The Fox Sports article says he's playing against 13 and 14-year olds in the video.