So, you want to be a rap superstar...

26SidedCube

Someone posted this on another board. I don't

know if anyone plans on attempting to make

music a part of their life.. but here it is. Some

of it's pretty common sense, some is just good

for piece of mind.

The industry is even shadier than you thought...

Originally Posted by -Fabolous Sport-

This Is My Official Fu-k The Industry Thread........

Fu-k what you've heard about the industry to now, fu-k all major record labels and fu-k all major recording artists as well, fu-k Nas, Jay, Em, Nelly, Chingy, Jermaine Dupri, Dr. Dre, Russell Simmons, The ROC, All Of Shady, Desert Storm, R. Kelly, Fabolous, Joe Budden, all mainstream rappers I haven't mentioned. Let me tell you the real industry............

I've been signed for about 4 months now to a major label and now I wish I never started rapping, producing, or even getting into the music business, I'm going to college. You know why underground rappers never shine?? You wanna know why it's so hard to get a deal?? You wanna know why some artists can write 6-7 albums while some cats struggle to write one?? You wanna know why It's more A&R's that exists on labels than it is actual artists on the label?? You wanna know why Interscope is suppressing the whole Eminem thing??

Here Goes.......

Most cats believe they can get a deal by spittin' some sick lyrics or making some good songs, wrong. You know what labels do?? A&R's don't look for artists, not at all, Labels sign around 25 artists per decade and then freeze signings. A&R's don't go look for the next big artists, they look for hit songs and writing pools and people who can sing backup vocals. A&R's aren't worried about finding artists with star quality that have interesting backgrounds, oh no, not at all.

Here's how they do rappers.........Raping-U-Records artists are starting to get old and played out so they send an A&R out to find a punkass rapper who lives in a respectable area. Next, they make sure the artist is marketable, then they'll sign the artist. Now Rapper A has a record deal with no previous history of rapping, next the label will setup a front to make it look like they discovered the artist (might sign a kid first, then set it up to make it look like this kid was rapping in front of a crowd at a gas station where a highly known A&R just happened to be getting gas from).

Next, they'll sit down with the artist and have this reality talk to them, explaining to them that the industry is a business and none of this is real. Now, they'll overexagerate their background and even lie about their age and where they grew up, they'll push a suburban to a harder area then they're really from. They find a an angle (pop's died, parents divorced, got shot, sold drugs, friend died) and push that angle to build the artist sentimental respect (who likes a punk who lived a perfect life??). They'll use that angle to build a story around them and how that event or events affected them.

Now, they hit the studio, right?? Wrong!! Now here is what real A&R's are meant for. They'll send out their A&R's and stupid cats like me will kill to get the demo in their hands, once these A&R's have a good number of SOLICITED demo's they'll tell Rappers B, C and D to send the label some material. Rappers B, C and D think they might get a deal, so they get their demo package together with Bio, Pic's, Press Kit and the actual demo. They probably tellin' their guys that they finna get signed and ish. Wrong........

Now A&R B is at the label listening to the demos of Rapper B, C and D. A&R B doesn't care for anything but the songs. A&R B is really feeling Rapper B and D's demo's (capable hit songs) but not Rapper C. So that's when Rapper C gets the rejection letter. Now the A&R is interested in Rapper B & D's material, so they'll write them and ask them to send more material, now B & D really think they're gonna get signed.

A&R B listens again and feels as if Rapper D isn't as good as he thought he was but still feels Rapper B. Now he sends a rejection letter to Rapper D. Now the contact is made with Rapper B and a meeting is set up. Sounds lovely right?? Keep Reading....A&R B and Rapper B and a few exec's have a meeting and now Rapper B is hit with REALITY. A&R B explains the real music business and gives Rapper B a choice, either walk out that door and be forever blackballed or the alternative.

You remember Rapper A, right?? Rapper B has been hit with the reality that he will never be a star. Rapper B just sent in about 10 songs to A&R B which were purchased and now will be on Rapper A's album. Rapper B is now merely part of a writing pool, he will continue to make songs under the supervision of an A&R, only not for himself, for everyone else. Now Rapper B sends about 10-20 songs to Rapin-U-Records every 3 months and now Rapper A, Rapper X, Rapper J and Singer T go through Rapper B's material as well as the other hundred's of Rappers and Singers that are merely writing pools material and pick which song they want on their album.

Now here is where the process takes place, Rapper A chooses 3 songs from Rapper B, 4 songs from Rapper Y and 2 songs from Singer U to make an album. Rapper A might want to do his own song so the label gives Rapper A 2 slots to do his own songs. When the album is finished, starving artists in writing pools are paid off and SILENCED. Now you can read the credits and see Rapper A's name all over, but it's to fool you, the sheep, the cats who buy the albums and the stupid chickenheads that believe anything in writing.

Rapper A has candy stories and rumors started by people at the label that grow and make the Rapper more respectable, more harder and more controversial to keep the life span of Rapper A alive. Guess what?? If an A&R finds someone else who's making better songs than Rapper B, they cut him off and blackball him to keep him silenced, it's that simple, fuk what you heard and believe. Beef?? Real or fake?? Ima tell you this, more beef's in the past and present then you brainwashed muthafukaz will ever believe are fake, some are real but even then you'll believe what you want. Once Rapper A falls off (not lyrically, not songwise) marketwise, they drop them and a new era of MUSIC INDUSTRY BULLSH*T arises.

And that's just the rappers, I'm not even going to get into producing, all Ima say is that most of your respectable producers are merely NAMES, you believe PRODUCER B is ths ish?? PRODUCER B can produce, but how do you think they can produce so many hot songs at one time?? They don't, a label will send out A&R's to find clones (people who've been influenced and therefore have the same sound) of the producer and the same process as with Rapper's A, B, C and D will spark up with producers too. THINK ABOUT IT........

Why do think it took Twista and Memphis Bleek so long to come out again, huh?? Cuz they wanted to write their own albums and didn't want to fall victim, too bad that's not for most of the ROC. Why do you think Ali Vegas will probably never drop and even when he drops, watch what happens......Why do you think 50 Cent couldn't get a deal after Trackmasters?? How come the Bravehearts took so long?? And then didn't even get pushed, promoted or even have money put behind them?? Hey Chicago, where is 3Piece?? Why do you think both MTV MC Battles promised Def Jam and Roc-A-Fella Contracts but Reignman's on his own label and Wreckognize aint on the Roc?? How come Shawnna got shelved?? Why did Universal lie about Nelly's age?? Why did it take Jin some 2 and a half years to come out with a single?? Where the hell is Postaboy?? What did Mase get exposed to that made him choose God over Millions of dollars?? Cats know the truth and don't like it, it's that simple.......

How would you like it if you've been rapping since you were 7, been hustlin demos, doing meaningless talent showcases and then you finally get a deal at age 20 and now you've become Rapper B?? The industry messes people up for real and half these cats who see the Bling Bling and girls think that's all their is, it's like finding out God doesn't really exists and now I've become Rapper B.

Sh*t like this gets cats killed for real, the industry is shady and what you've seen on TV, them DVD's, in interviews, VH1, MTV, whatever is nothing but the "GHOST INDUSTRY" that you've been led to believe is how it is and none of you have any idea, I hate the music industry, I hate the entertainment business, I'm going to college, getting my degree and am leaving this is behind me, FU*K COLUMBIA RECORDS and most of all, ya'll can SU*K my D*CK. To the industry heads on here, F*CK U, go ahead, yeah, I've broken the silence, only the underground is real, FU*K the industry.......

I'm uppin this til everyone reads it, I thought I was about live out my dream and now I've been exposed to the nightmare that is the industry. I was brainwashed, now I'm not, everything I've said in this post is the truth, anything you've heard or been led to believe is bull, this post applies to all them STUDIO wankstaz.......

Cat's I know got ghostwriters and songs come from writing pools.........Fuk what you believe........

Clipse

Snoop

Nas

D-Block

Eminem

Fabolous

Biggie

Static

Joe Budden

Nelly

Mase

Chingy

Ludacris

Kanye West

Trick Daddy

Cassidy

Jay-Z

Young Gunz

Murphy Lee

And about a bunch of cats I'm too pissed to mention right now......I'm uppin this til the world blows up, think about this ish seriously and a lot of ish will start to make more sense......

-Welcome To The Real Music Industry-

Haze got the story here: http://community.allhiphop.com/showthread.php?t=49673

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by mr.yuck

Dang. That is fucked up. I knew that cats were getting cheated outta money left and right but i didnt know it was that dirty. Fu-k them bitches.

:lol: "Fu-k them bitches."

Yeah, like GFresh said... I know people who've

been signed to Madonna's label as a rock band

only to be froze... now one guy out of the band

plays with some shitty nu-metal band and the

rest are blackballed in California. Shit sucks.

Originally posted by wiseguy

interesting article, but the whole thing about rappers a, b, c and d was confusing, kinda like algebra.

Yeah, I just liked it cause he was just laying it

out instead of just taking personal jabs at how

it fucked up what he was trying to do and crying.

Then he said he's going to college and all that

and it sorta backed up the validity of learning

his lesson... whatever. I don't know too many

people who plan on trying to get signed to the

Rock or Columbia, or give a shit about anyone

who does... but there's the inside word for what

it's worth.

Meh.

Originally posted by gfreshsushi

man, singer t without producer b is milk without cereal. fuckin bullshit.

Your problem is you need to realize it's best to

both produce and rap outside the box.

Once you realize this you'll be free to see that

Singer T is actually a genius.. I'm telling you.

Oh, you guys heard about Hypeman F doing

that collab project with Backpacker U? HEAT!

Originally posted by can of worms

mans are naive if they think the industry works any other way. Writing pools have been around for years in pop, now major labels put the same template on hip hop.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure everyone know that... I

just don't think he knew the process of getting

sucked into being part of the writing pool and

having all your material froze. That's why I think

he took the time to lay out the process.

Whatever, I imagine this shit goes down in

almost every billion-dollar-a-year industry once

you reach a certain point.

if hip hop wasn't commercial we'd probably all be crying about 'why won't the mainstream realise this is such good music, the music industry is so rascist, blah bla boo-hoo'.

but i suppose by selling music at least, thats another potential drug dealer/pimp/thug off the street. but they're influencing more kids than they could ever stayin street thru this....fuck i've lost my point.

anyway fuck mainstream hip hop. we all knew that, right?

it seems illegal graf is the only element of hip hop which can still be seen in its purest form. well mc ciphers still hold it...oh fuck it ill get my coat

surely rapper b is writing songs and is clever enough to own the publishing rights, so if rapper b's track (performed by rapper a) blows up and goes crazy (take "in da club" for example) wouldnt rapper b get money in from the publishing / song writing front?

Archived