Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

So Where's the Foreign Aid?

Discussion in 'News' started by Gunm, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Gunm

Gunm Banned

SOmething occured to me this morning on the way to work...how come no one is offering to send u said to help deal with this disaster?

Maybe I have been asleep at the switch but has France, Britain, Russia, ANYONE sending money, supplies, aid of any sort? The only country i have heard of that offered aid was venezuela which is suprising in the wake of that idiot preacher running his mouth off.

The United States has always been first to offer aid, money and assistance in a majority of fucked up situations across the globe. Remember the tsunami when we donated the most cash and resources to assist? ANd when we were ciriticized for not helping out enough we doubled the aid being doled out to asia?

So now when we need help, when we need someone to get our back, all these mother fuckers just sit on their hands and watch. Don't give me this bullshit either about how "Oh kid, this is just us getting payback for fucking shit up in IRAQ." I don't think so.

2. !@#$%

!@#$% Moderator Crew

are you KIDDING?

we [DUBYA] TURNED AWAY ALL FOREIGN AID OFFERS

i think sri lanka is sending experts to help assess damage anyway

3. !@#$%

!@#$% Moderator Crew

Canadian agencies are saying that foreign aid is probably not being permitted into Louisiana and Mississippi because of "mass confusion" at the U.S. federal level in the wake of the storm.

http://storiesinamerica.dailykos.com/story...8/31/235829/261
    US won't let Canada help Katrina victims

Nations hit by tsunami are offering to send aid
    The New York Times, The Boston Globe, The Associated Press
    http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/09/02/news/react.php

Oddly, however, the administration of President George W. Bush evinced an ambivalent attitude toward the world's generosity. The president said that international aid was appreciated but unnecessary; other administration officials indicated that all offers of help would be gratefully accepted.

4. !@#$%

!@#$% Moderator Crew

The offers of foreign aid kept pouring in on Friday: helicopters from Canada, cash from Japan, tents and military aircraft from France, even oil from Venezuela, a political foe.

Asia-Pacific nations - including tsunami-battered Sri Lanka - promised Friday to send money and disaster relief experts to the United States to help deal with the aftermath of the storm.

Australia topped the list of nations in the Asia-Pacific in the region that pledged aid.

Japan and Singapore - which along with Australia are among Washington's strongest allies in the region - were also quick to promise help.

Some of Asia's poorer nations also offered to help, including some of those hit hardest by the last December's tsunami.

Sri Lanka, which received substantial U.S. military and other foreign aid after the tsunami killed more than 31,000 and displaced one million there, on Friday pledged $25,000 to the American Red Cross.

The government also urged Sri Lankan-born physicians living in the United States to volunteer their services to the relief effort.

5. fermentor666

fermentor666 Veteran Member

Fuck. Fuck Bush. He just wants the city to be wiped out because it's has blacks and gays in it.

6. saraday

saraday Senior Member

but they have lots of cocaine there... i dont get it?

:confused:

7. jiveass

jiveass Member

8. KING BLING

KING BLING Guest

http://www.globalissues.org/TradeRelated/D...lowonGNIpercent

We actually don't spend nearly as much as the rest of the rich world when you look at what we could offer. If a rich man gives me $5 it has little impact on his bottom line, but a poor man doing the same thing made a true gesture of concern and a sacrifice for his fellow man. You have the impression we are the only ones helping because our media, when experienced only passively, does not offer a well covered world review. When we are sending money to Tsunami victims, other countries are involved elsewhere in longer term projects...and the rest of the world does contribute at these times as well anyway

Know something before you say something...

9. Gunm

Gunm Banned

^^^

i know nothing

what i do know is that i am hungry

10. Krakatau

Krakatau Member

I thought we were pretty low-rung on the list of tsunami donators until shamed into adding to it.

Perhaps Bush doesn't want to accept donations of aid in order to avoid incurring a 'debt' to foreign nations.

That'd be fucked up.

11. Biggus Dickus

Biggus Dickus Senior Member

Yeah we offered something like $50,000 in the first place. Soon after that, Japan gave some amount in the millions and everyone started criticizing Bush for giving what amounts to a useless amount of pocket change on this scale.

Soon after they increased it greatly, our current government did not want to donate as much as they did by any means.

12. Dawood

Dawood Elite Member

Charity given unwillingly is of no benefit to the giver.

13. shai

shai Dirty Dozen Crew

are we really refusing aid that's offered in good faith over ideolgical differences? i'll bet that means a lot to people who haven't eaten in three days.

14. SF1

SF1 Elite Member

It's like they don't give a fuck cause it's all poor black people in a Democratic city.
    If it was rich white republicans, thousands of troops and other aid workers woulda been there the minute the storm let up. That's a fact. This is what happens when capitalism gets out of hand.

15. shai

shai Dirty Dozen Crew

guessing by your name, you live in the bay, right? i was just thinking today, that back in 1989, when the quake happened, SF had emergency aid out the ass, and went about rebuilding almost as soon as the fires were out and the rubble cleared...and oakland, who had a two-mile stretch of freeway collapse in one of the poorest neighborhoods (i should know, i live here), well, the people who lived near the cypress structure were still pulling bodies out of the wreckage months later...and it happened less than a mile away from an army base...and two miles away from a naval air station. the neighborhood, sixteen years later, is still trying to come back...i wonder how much
    money they were allocated, and how much they actually got? oh yeah, two years later, we had one of the biggest urban wildfires in state history here...but this time, it happened in the hills, where all the muckety-mucks live...and what do you know, half the firefighters in the state showed up! wow! and, everyone got their FEMA loot, red cross was there so fast you'd think they started the damn fire... and do you think they put the evacuees in the coliseum, for lack of a better place? if they did, then i don't remember it...it sure looked like they weren't struggling to me.

what scares me, is if oakland had some kind of disaster, natural or otherwise...what could we expect, in the way of federal help? i mean, we brought you barbara lee, who was brave enough to speak out against war right after 9-11...would that matter? the population of oakland, i imagine, is demographically not dissimilar from NOLA...we're even about the same size. hopefully, i'll never know, but our city does sit on a fault line...a lot of west oakland, port of oakland, and the airport is built on filled in bay land...also, we have dozens of refineries sitting less than a dozen miles away. i hope i never have to find out whether we're in the good graces of the feds, since i'm pretty sure i know now, having seen all the help new orleans recieved...or hasn't recieved, rather.