Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

So my mom was on MTV...

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by SpyD, Mar 25, 2006.

1. SpyD

SpyD Elite Member

http://www.mtv.com/onair/dyn/truelife/epis...episodeID=90401

So that kid from PemBROKE, IL was learnin how to read and shit at the library and my mom dukes works there and you could see her for a min in the episode. Pembroke is a fucked up place man. Shit's not even on a map.

FROM THE PAGE:

DeMarlon is 19. He and his family live under horrifying conditions and he sees joining the army as his ticket out. But DeMarlon has to pass a literacy test so he'll be allowed to enlist. DeMarlon lives in a house in Pembroke, Illinois with his parents and five brothers and sisters. The rent is $280 per month, they have to pump drinking water and Demarlon shares a room with his siblings although there are only two beds. He does odd jobs with his father to make money. Since DeMarlon has spent two months in jail for robbing a car, he is on probation. To make it to his probation appointment on time, DeMarlon and his father begin walking 18 miles, but are fortunate to get a ride. Things go from bad to worse for DeMarlon's family. His mother reads an eviction notice stating that they have 5 days to leave their home for non-payment of rent. They owe $2,800, and only have $100. In this moment of despair, DeMarlon calls on his faith by attending church. DeMarlon's father arrives home with news that he's found another home for the family. Their next home needs many repairs, but it has running faucet water. DeMarlon is determined to improve his reading skills and continue studying for the army test. However, he will not be able to take the test until he is off probabtion in two years. He keeps a positive attitude.[​IMG]

2. Gat Bush

Gat Bush Veteran Member

Demarlion is Penbroke as a mufucka maing

3. SpyD

SpyD Elite Member

[​IMG]

haha, I guess Oprah even visited Pembroke:

http://www.oprah.com/tows/slide/200510/200...2_284_101.jhtml

In the township of Pembroke, Illinois, the state's most impoverished community, 55 percent of the residents live beneath the poverty level and 40 percent live without running water. The average income is $9,700 a year.

With no opportunity for jobs in the near future, Pembroke has no bank, no drug store, no real medical facility and very few paved roads. The mayor, the Reverend Jon Dyson, says every day is a struggle for survival.

4. Gat Bush

Gat Bush Veteran Member

id definitely resort to smoking wikkie sticks on the regular.

thats how im pembroke livin.

5. spectr

spectr Guest

man that dude is going to go through all that trouble to learn to read better then get his ass blown up in iraq now thats some fucked up shit

7. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

seriously, who the fuck doesn't have running water?!?!

8. SpyD

SpyD Elite Member

you wouldnt believe how poor this place is, it's like another country. I've heard stories of people killing someone and taking them out there or to Hopkins Park and just burying em, and the bodies never get found.

9. Abracadabra

Abracadabra Dirty Dozen Crew

yeah it's fucked up, but that's exactly the type of person the american government wants signing up for the army.

i feel sorry for the kid, i mean he could be out robbing and stealing cos let's face it, he ain't got shit else, but he's trying to go legit. more power to him for not giving up.

10. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Member

mmm lunch

11. dumy

dumy Veteran Member

yeah, i've definitely seen shit like that..illinois is fucked up..shit america is fucked up..

12. Neskoner

Neskoner New Jack

yeah i saw this,it must be tough for people without running water,makes me feel like shit.

13. spectr

spectr Guest

yeah it's fucked up, but that's exactly the type of person the american government wants signing up for the army.

i feel sorry for the kid, i mean he could be out robbing and stealing cos let's face it, he ain't got shit else, but he's trying to go legit. more power to him for not giving up.
    [post=4415415]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

i know its a fucked up situtation that the goverment creates and exploits

14. 26SidedCube

26SidedCube Veteran Member

I need to lace this kid with a beat...

15. cRXgti

cRXgti Junior Member

im joining the navy :)