So my girlfriends brother treied to kill himself today

effyoo

Long story short:

I live with my girl and her family. Her brother is an ex-troublemaker with parents that are very distant. Brother (19) now is a recluse who stays in his room 24/7 and will only leave if he needs to smoke or quickly grab some food without being seen and has never said more than two words at a time to me.

For the past few days buddy has been accusing people in the house of talking about him when they haven't been in the house for the entire day, saying "I heard you say that I was .....".

So gf walks into the garage this evening and sees her brother with a cord around his neck and eventaully talks him out of it.

KaBar, you might have some thoughts on this. Any insight would be appreciated

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but this guy has been in a long fuckin' slump. He's only left the house once in the past two weeks, and won't talk to anybody. I've lived here for almost 2 years and I've never had a conversation with him. Ever.

Guest PAYROLL

Just give your boy a dull knife, then lock him in a room with Cannibal Corpse blaring...through the vents! His actions are proof that it's time for him to check out.

Originally posted by Mr. ABC

hot damn. kid needs a doctor asap. one word of advice is don't let him out of your sight. he will try again very soon, and keep trying until he succeeds.

i agree and SHUT UP PAYROLL

Guest richard kyel

okay where should i start. okay here goes, about six months ago my girlfriends mom dies, my girlfriend is only 17. about a week after that her uncle on her dads side attempts suicide, his mother finds him and calls an ambulance. he moves in with the guy who just lost his wife cause they have always been realy close. figuring they are both hurting maybe they can help eachother. about a week after moving in i notice the uncle still isnt quite himself. a few days later he kills himself at her house. so this guy just lost his wife and his brother who was a close friend. on top of this he lost a child about 16 yrs ago. and about 5 months after that his mother has a heart attack, falls and on the way to the floor snaps her spinal cord. she died... hes been trough a lot. but my whole point is that when people are that sad you have to give them there space, but you dont want to give em too much, try to be nice to the dude . usually people who are that depressed are nice people who get treated like shit

Guest TresOne

Buddy of mine went through the same kinda slump. He had mad depression, stayed in his house for honestly over a month straight, wouldn't talk on the phone, in person, barely ate, gave up painting (which is his entire life the rest of the time), shit was wack.

Eventually we managed to talk him out of it, somehow.. convinced him to get some help.. and it did him good. Of course, this was after about 4 trips to the hospital getting a full bottle of tylenol 3's outta his gut... fucked up stuff.

Just keep an eye on him.. don't think he won't regress again.. it happens..

I AM NOT A DOCTOR

I'm a nurse, so I can't make any sort of diagnosis and certainly not over the internet. HOWEVER--the symptoms you describe are 100% consistant with a diagnoisis of Major Depression. Every single thing in your post screams out that he needs to be in a psychiatric hospital and on Suicide Precautions. It is very likely that he will not or cannot agree to this on his own. If he refuses, the logical thing to happen is hat his parents swear out a mental health warrant with the local Mental Health Court, and have him taken into custody and brought to the hospital by Constables of the Court.

From what you have said, he is in grave danger. If he were my brother, I would not hesitate one second. Better a pissed off, offended brother who is alive than a dead one hanging in the garage.

General treatment for depression this severe would include a round of antidepressant medications, perhaps an SSRI like Prozac, Paxil or Zoloft. Zoloft 50mg by mouth every morning would be a good place to start. He should not have anything in his possession which could be used as a means to commit suicide (i.e. shoelaces, belt, pocket knife, etc.) and should be on 15 minute Suicide Watch (no more than 15 minutes between checks by staff, around the clock 24/7.)

Depressed people can have delusional thoughts ("You were saying stuff about me, weren't you!") and auditory hallucinations, and also visual or olofactory (smell) hallucinations. Tactile (touch) hallucinations are rare unless severe drug abuse is involved.

I would ask does he smoke cigarettes? Use drugs? Use alcohol? Is he reclusive? Aggressive? Violent? Does he cut or scratch himself? Have thoughts of suicide or (HEADS UP) homicide? Tearful? Hopeless? Helpless? Blames others? Irritable and angry a lot? Poor hygiene, doesn't change clothes, doesn't clean up his area? Has he suffered losses? Grief? Romance problems? Lost his job/ can't get a job/ can't keep a job? Sleeps all the time? Never hardly ever sleeps? Eats a whole lot or doesn't eat much at all?

These are all symptoms of depression. A very sad and depressed person who suddenly "perks up" and starts industriously cleaning up, giving away possessions, paying off old bills, selling possessions like cars or clothing has probably made up his mind to take his own life.

Does he have the means with which to kill himself? Guns? Knives? Explosives? I mean, if he's serious, a paper clip or a pocket comb will do the job.

thanks for the reply, Kabar. Yeah he has many of the symptoms you speak of, but his mother, a nurse, seems to think everthing is alright. So, although I think what you suggest should be done, I have to go along with what she thinks is best. It also doesn't help that I've been told to stay out of "family" business (even though I live in the same house and plan on marrying her daughter).

Anyhow, thanks man.

Archived