So I'm actually thinking of doing this..

Guest Plaid Fill-ins

Guest Plaid Fill-ins

I have been checking out "off the grid" energy and all that for a while and I just found this system that looks dope, it explains how you can build your own solar panels and the resources are relatively inexpensive and easy to come by... here's the link for it: build your own solar panels

solar-panels.jpg

... Anyone take on any of these projects around the home? I'd like to do it just to save some cash and expand my knowledge/abilities.

Anyone have some similar projects they're working on? I'm interested in becoming as sustainable and off the grid as possible, fuck the corporations! :D

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
I've always thought that'd be good for a grow house.

each grow bulb is gonna constantly use either 600 or 1000 watts, wouldnt that require an insane amount of solar panels? it is a cool idea, but id feel like a goofball if i built a fuckload of solar panels to grow plants, since they already come with solar panels (leaves). if you wanna save $$ just grow em outside and let the good lord do his magic.

edit: youd be looking at roughly 100sq ft of solar panels to produce a pound of herb.

here's the link for it: build your own solar panels

:D

http://www.nlcpr.com/Deceptions6.php

http://blog.consumerwebwatch.org/2008/09/earth4energycom_is_not_a_credi.html

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080906151854AAAq0vw

http://www.ripoffreport.com/utility-companies/earth4energy-com-swe/earth4energy-com-swerd-ea-w742w.htm

http://digg.com/news/science/Revealed_Is_Earth4Energy_a_scam

Earth4Energy.com has that classic “site in a box” look. And as we’ve warned in the past, sites that look amateurish are usually best avoided.

dude its a scam, stay away...look at that cheesy website.

Guest Plaid Fill-ins

There's a reason why people grow herb in doors.. Yeah fuck that website, but if i can find a better one or something for free I still might do it just cuz solar power is cool. It would be funny and awesome to have a house that was off the grid with all kinds of alternative energy, save you some money too.

I proposed to the owner where in work to invest ^in solar panels to power the irrigation pumps, heaters, etc.

I got shot down quickly.

This was around the time when solar panels could get you some type of tax break/rebate insentive from the Uncle Sam. (for all I know they still offer it)

Point of the story: I'm drunk posting, good luck.

I'm debating on getting a gas line for the crib and get a kick ass gas stove!!!

Take my money multinational corporation

Btw, what Spliff said.

thats pretty sick. there are also other ways that you could change your energy source to be as "off the grid" as possible.

little things like installing sky lights and water collection bins and stuff like that.

if its just to save money seriously unplug most of your electronics when you aren't using them. like your tv and stereo. they fucking suck up so much energy.

each grow bulb is gonna constantly use either 600 or 1000 watts, wouldnt that require an insane amount of solar panels? it is a cool idea, but id feel like a goofball if i built a fuckload of solar panels to grow plants, since they already come with solar panels (leaves). if you wanna save $$ just grow em outside and let the good lord do his magic.

edit: youd be looking at roughly 100sq ft of solar panels to produce a pound of herb.

Well, I'm not going to do the math, but...

If you ran enough solar panels you could theoretically ran the lamps to an inverter that's connected to a battery bank.

Lamps--->Inverter---->Battery Bank----->Solar Panels.

This way your load(lamps) is not restricted by the amount of sunlight given that day. You'd have to determine your exact draw from the battery bank to make sure you were offsetting with energy coming from the solar panels ensuring your batteries are being recharged fully when the lights are off. Again, I don't know the ratio of light to resting period and how many lights they were running, but this is a feasible option. Wouldn't be cheap, but the return would be less energy consumption via diesel gas(generator) or power service from the electrical company.

wooooord. im scared to know what the start-up costs would be to setup a system that can power a 1000w ballast for 12 to 24 hours a day.

im moving to hawaii in a few weeks, and the cost of electricity is fucking insane over there. i was told the kwh rate is ~9 times what californians pay. eek. im def gonna look into solar power to run some small stuff around the casa. the house im renting unfortunately doesnt have a solar powered water heater, which is something i noticed on quite a few rentals. oh well. at least the warm ocean water is free :D

Cannabis is frowned upon in my area, and my neighbors wouldn't appreciate them in my garden. And you wouldn't be able to run the set up purely off the solar panels but I'm sure they'd help.

just plant them in the middle of nowhere and go to them every once in a while. ive heard of people doing that before