Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

So I want to buy a video camera

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by ShitFuck, Oct 27, 2003.

1. ShitFuck

ShitFuck Junior Member

And I'm a little in the dark. I know what I want it to be able to do, and how much I want to spend, but I know some of ya'll know more than I do. So..

I'd like to be able to edit the video's on my laptop. I'd like it to be kind of compact and on the small side so I can carry it around the city and be filming shit and not look like a tard.. and I'd like it to be able to nice still photo's too.

My budget's like the 200 - 250 range.

Any ideas?

2. Gunm

Gunm Banned

Why should you care if you look like a "tard" or not? Not like you have to have those people over for dinner anytime soon.

Take that money and buy a cheap handgun. Proceed to store and rob it for a really really nice camera. Later that night you can pistolwhip your gf for "fucking up the meal again" and then you can take photos of the carnage to add to your sick sick photo collection.

3. 455

455 Guest

hit a pawn shop.

4. ShitFuck

ShitFuck Junior Member

thats a good idea about a pawn shop, i was thinking ebay.. so same deal..

5. KaBar2

KaBar2 Senior Member

First, rdo some research on the capabilities of the various camcorders you might want. I could be wrong, but I don't think a $250 camcorder is going to do the job for you. Check out Http://www.royalcamera.com

They have a bunch of good information, specs, etc. on the cameras they sell. I've got my eye on a really first class video cam--the Canon XL-1S. $2350. You want a camcorder with a DV terminal with IEEE 1394 connector, so you can edit your shots with a computer.

A Canon GL2 might do the job. $1250

Canon Optura 20 MC $560

Sony DCR-VX2000 $1425
    Sony DSR-250 $3300
    Sony DSR--PD150 3 $2389
    Sony DCR--TRV950 (this is a cool camera) $1180

Panasonic AG-DVC200 $3000
    Panasonic AG-DVX100 $2229
    Panasonic AG-DVC80 $1449
    Panasonic AD-DVC7 (pretty cool) $729

JVC GY-DV5000U Professional $3299

JVC GYDV300 $1499

With one of these cameras (except the Optura, and it might fly in a pinch) you could be in the movie making business. The Canon GL2 might be a little weak, but just about all the rest of them have Sundance Film Festival written all over them.

6. anonymity1

anonymity1 Senior Member

I got a JVC dv805u (I think thats the model). Its a small mini DV camcorder with a 3.5" LCD screen and doubles as a digi cam. 200-250 is not going to get you a mini DV. You might score a deal on ebay for some digital 8's or Hi 8 camcorders. You are gonna want digital for editing on a laptop. I bought mine a couple of years ago so I dontknow what prices are like now. It all depends on how serious of filming and what you are going to be filming. You also got to think about quality of video you want. Mini DV cameras now come with either 1 or 3 ccd chips. Cameras with 1 ccd chip handle all colors through that one chip. 3 chip models have one chip for each primary color yellow, red and blue and are of highest quality. Check cameraworld.com.

7. firsttake

firsttake Member

yea, mini dv is the shit. you better hope your computer is capable of doing video editing. that shit can be horribly frustrating if you dont have something real fast and a lot of hard disc space.

8. Overtime

Overtime Dirty Dozen Crew

i hae a panasonic ewear, its really not a "video camera", but it does have a video camera feature, plus a camera, mp3 player, and voice recorder, its relaly good though, i havent found one problem with it. i have a 256mb card
    empty it holds
    1986 pictures (highest quality)
    41 minutes of video (highest quality)
    17 hours of voice recording (highest quality)
    and 256mb of music

i put simpsons episodes on it to watchin in class, its great, imma buy another one when they come out with one

9. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Veteran Member

kabars got the knoledge now.

We've got one of these kicking aroundthe office.

you NEED to get miniDV if you want to go into the computer.
    Unless it's a digital still camera as well dont expect quality stills.
    The dv video frame is typically 640x480 pixels and that's really
    shit compared to the 3+ megapixels you can get on a cheaper
    digital camera these days.

Definately check the pawnshops.

and if you just want something to fuck around with... get a cheap hi8 and do your 'edit' in camera.

10. king kong

king kong Banned

11. Overtime

Overtime Dirty Dozen Crew

i would still prefer a gl2 over that cam

12. I strongly recommend the Sony dcr-pc series, great cameras. Reasonable price, strong, lots of features you will actually use, nice ergonomics, in my opinion all the other palm type cams are trying hard to come close and failing, I use them regularly, I own a cannon which I only bought cus I was very cheap and I needed something to use mainly for capturing etc and its ok but go for a Sony…if you have real money to spend and want to go for 3ccd’s then there’s lots of good shit, the Sony vx200 and cannon xm2 (I had an xm1 but some bastard stole it.) are great, thexl1 is superb but not as practical as the others…currently im trying to figure out a way to get one of the new generation of pro scan, hi def almost film like dv cams that are coming now. Had a go on a Panasonic model and fell in love….

13. ShitFuck

ShitFuck Junior Member