so i just moved to the united states..

japillahan

foreign kid goes to art school in nowhereville alabama. this place is overrun by

1)emo scenesters. theyre all so unique i love it:love:

2)homosexuals: this isnt so bad, some are interesting...

there are lots of jocks/fratboys/sororgirls(if theres such thing)

and of course your varied miscellany..like me. theres a yard or layups or something along those lines in town but theyre beyond walking distance. i got a job so ill prolly be buying a bike(any suggestions?) i dont know

maybe you other americans can help me. there are some things i dont understand

1)people walk by and i can tell that they're being friendly, but instead of just saying hi, they ask me how i am(we are passing each other walking different directions).. am i supposed to answer them? its not lik theyre giving me the chance to answer so for now im just saying hi.

3)what is it with people and suing each other? i dont get it. it seems to me like if you fart on someone they can sue you for something or other. i just dont get it

5)road workers in orange jumpsuits. i was under the impression that they are convicts. i was walking through town yesterday and there was a group of these individuals on a cigarrete break so it seemed outside of the local cop station unattended. i was worried, should i have been?

7)people here are very wasteful. i watch them in the cafeteria(sometimes i loose my appetite when i see people who wolf down hamburger after hamburger when they should be eating salad. the kind of people they are making bigger hospital beds for). some people serve themselves a hamburer and a pizza. they eat half of the pizza and two or three bites of the burger and hey guess what im done and they throw them away. this isnt a question as much as it is an observation. maybe its because i grew up around and in relative poverty(at one point) so i guess i have different values when it comes to stuff like this.

11)this, again, is not a question. another observation.. but im sick and tired of (almost)EVERYTHING coming out of a bag(i say everything because even most of this cafeteria food you can tell just came out of one) or can or plastic wrap(im refering to food of course). maybe im just used to seeing fruit trees. free food, perfectly natural and healthy.

13)

there were more things i diddnt understand but they escape me at the moment and i have to go to class.

god save the usa

..and me

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

you're right, people are incredibly wasteful in america, no gettin around that... you'll get used to it sooner or later and when you return home you won't understand why they are so conservative with their food... god bless america. also, when people ask how you are doing in passing, just say good, how are you... it's just a more indepth hello

by the way, where are you from?

1. greetings such as 'hows it going?' and 'whats up?' are used in the place of a simple hello sometimes. depending on the situation they don't always warrant more than a hi , hello, or whats up response back.

5.road worker wear orange to make them visible to motorist, they are not convicts, unless they are chained together by the ankle.

why did you only use odd nubmers for your question/observation list? you missed 9

Originally posted by japillahan

2)homosexuals: this isnt so bad, some are interesting...

there are lots of jocks/fratboys/sororgirls(if theres such thing)

and of course your varied miscellany..like me. theres a yard or layups or something along those lines in town but theyre beyond walking distance. i got a job so ill prolly be buying a bike(any suggestions?) i dont know

maybe you other americans can help me. there are some things i dont understand

there's #2 dude, you are a liar! you said you don't like 2

and gamblergrin beat me in posting...

to continued what gamble said

4. you will soon hate this country

5. you will always think wtf is going on

ehhh. i dunno dude..

you will get use to this country sooner or later

1)people walk by and i can tell that they're being friendly, but instead of just saying hi, they ask me how i am(we are passing each other walking different directions).. am i supposed to answer them? its not lik theyre giving me the chance to answer so for now im just saying hi.

3)what is it with people and suing each other? i dont get it. it seems to me like if you fart on someone they can sue you for something or other. i just dont get it

5)road workers in orange jumpsuits. i was under the impression that they are convicts. i was walking through town yesterday and there was a group of these individuals on a cigarrete break so it seemed outside of the local cop station unattended. i was worried, should i have been?

7)people here are very wasteful. i watch them in the cafeteria(sometimes i loose my appetite when i see people who wolf down hamburger after hamburger when they should be eating salad. the kind of people they are making bigger hospital beds for). some people serve themselves a hamburer and a pizza. they eat half of the pizza and two or three bites of the burger and hey guess what im done and they throw them away. this isnt a question as much as it is an observation. maybe its because i grew up around and in relative poverty(at one point) so i guess i have different values when it comes to stuff like this.

11)this, again, is not a question. another observation.. but im sick and tired of (almost)EVERYTHING coming out of a bag(i say everything because even most of this cafeteria food you can tell just came out of one) or can or plastic wrap(im refering to food of course). maybe im just used to seeing fruit trees. free food, perfectly natural and healthy.

1) Answer by saying "How are you" back. Its kind of like saying Good Day/Afternoon.. but not.

2)Americans like money. Money is good. Mmm.

3)They were probably kids doing community service for crimes they committed. Were they cleaning or actually doing construction work? If they were in orange jumpsuits and doing construction.. well, thats just weird. In NYC we just have smelly guys in wife beaters smoking cigs and hollering at us women.

4)Americans are fat. Yehhh... most of us, unless you go to major cities on the coasts [LA, San Fran, NY, Miami, etc., etc.] Alabama? Get used to fat Americans.

5)Whats a fruit tree? I thought fruit was genetically made in labs? Joke, joke.

I have a question for you.. why Alabama for artschool? That just confuses the shit out of me. :confused:

1.)Unless the person actually stops, just acknowledge them and walk on by.

3)Blame Lawyers. I cannot stand how these people make a living finding loopholes in the law to get some fat lazy fuck money for getting fat.

You will also notice, in america, that everything comes with a warning label. This is due to the above

5)It's probably some minor criminals trying to shorten there stay in the pen. They should have a guard watching over them or something along those lines

7)Yes, people are wasteful and greedy at the same time. GET OVER IT...this is one of the reasons why the rest of the world hates us.

Originally posted by nomadawhat

1. 'hows it going?' and 'whats up?' are used in the place of a simple hello sometimes. if theyre just walking by it doesn't warrant more than a hi , hello, or whats up to respond.

Originally posted by anonymity

7)Yes, people are wasteful and greedy at the same time. ...this is one of the reasons why the rest of the world hates us.

GamblersGrin:

"1. you will soon be wearing neckerchifs

2. youre beard will disappear when you dress in leather

3. you will learn good manners sitting in the jailhouse"

i only understand the last one

"youre mouth will get dry from talking so much. move out of this flypaper country "

i try to limit what i say. i only speak when nescesary. which is something else i noticed here, people like to seem to hear themselves talk.

justaname: "there's #2 dude, you are a liar! you said you don't like 2"

originally posted by nomadawhat

why did you only use odd nubmers for your question/observation list? you missed 9

gatita: "I have a question for you.. why Alabama for artschool? That just confuses the shit out of me. "

im not really studying art, i just happen to be at an art school. the answer for you is simple: tuition. maybe ill take a course or two though

very interesting observations.

as for the 'how're ya doing?' question....

The appropriate answer is 'Fine, Thanks'

they dont really care, so just say fine,

and thank them for faking interest.

End with a smile, then keep walking.

Dont bother returning the question.

and one thing that is strange in the US

is how eye contact in public is seen as

a threat or a challenge. It's wierd.

don't stare or make prolonged eye contact, as absurd as it sounds, it can mean trouble.

when people ask "how's it going," etc, you can say anything you want, from "fine, thanks," to "apeshit fuckslut." thay's not listening, and they don't care.

i think this thread can be more helpful if you relate to us the customs where you're from, and we can give you a do/don't, and explain some things to you.

Re: americans and food = gross

Originally posted by phism

go back to where you came from.

america sucks.

America rules. Yeah, we got a lot of ignorance out there going on that I don't agree with, but hey so does every other country in the world. Every country has its ups and downs.

Fuck the ungrateful.

Guest Pilau Hands
Originally posted by gatita

In NYC we just have smelly guys in wife beaters smoking cigs and hollering at us women.

hollahollahollahollahollahollalemmehollaatchabitchhollahollaholla

Originally posted by japillahan

i try to limit what i say. i only speak when nescesary. which is something else i noticed here, people like to seem to hear themselves talk.

that's part of it, but it's largely social. people are just raised not to shut up here, so most don't know the value of silence.

Originally posted by <KEY3>

and one thing that is strange in the US

is how eye contact in public is seen as

a threat or a challenge. It's wierd.

i actually look at people when they're speaking, and i think it threw my professor off yesterday. eventually i think he got into it and started returning the gaze when he asked a question. i think that has something to do with the fact that the people in my class act like this is 4th grade and avert their gaze when one is posed tough.

Re: Re: americans and food = gross

Originally posted by TheoHuxtab|e

America rules. Yeah, we got a lot of ignorance out there going on that I don't agree with, but hey so does every other country in the world. Every country has its ups and downs.

Fuck the ungrateful.

ungrateful?

i don't like having to have insurance for everything, needing money i don't have, driving my car everywhere just to give the president more money for gas, being around a bunch of people with fucked up priorities and fucked up mental states that value productivity over living, worrying about cops being everywhere i go, having a job in which i must obey someone that i don't otherwise respect, and then having to pay taxes to people i also don't respect, so they can go kill poor people in other countries too.

it's a myth that america is the greatest country in the world... just because we have a higher gnp doesn't mean shit... most of that money is in the hands of people i will probably never meet, and who i think should get robbed... i could go on for a while, but america is crazy.. i'd rather be a caveman, fuck this.