so i just got a 16mm camera. now what?

Mr. Mang

i found it while cleaning out the basement. i asked my g/f's dad if i could have it and he said yes.

how much is film?

is it hard to use? what about vs. 8mm?

how much is developing?

where can i get film?

do average colleges offer classes on how to use old shit like this?

how do i incorporate sound into it all?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Are you sure it's 16mm and not Super 8?

If it's 16mm, the film is not exactly cheap, but the real heartache is film processing. Super 8 and 16mm both are (of course) way outdated technology, although there is a sort of film "retro" movement that wants to preserve 16mm technology, because it has a great deal more soul than digital or VHS.

If I had a 16mm camera, my next stop would be the Multi-Media Center at the nearest university.

http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_2a49071ad5902822ff5780d03dfdabd7/i-2.JPG'>

here is what i have :

ORIGINAL Leather/Velvet carrying case in pretty good shape. Snaps closed and has strap.

ORIGINAL manual (complete and in good condition) and 2 original leaflets talking about film/light.

Viewfinder zoom accessory.

Universal light guide on side of camera.

Variable camera speed - 16, 32, 64

now you put alot of money and sweat into figuring out wether or not you like filming and then decide wether or not you should upgrade to a 35mm camera (you should) and then get so fully fucking wrapped up that you finally splurge for the full on 70mm greatness... then make westerns or something...

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by Mr. Mang

i found it while cleaning out the basement. i asked my g/f's dad if i could have it and he said yes.

Do i need to point out that i fuckin hate you?...

Originally posted by Smart

now you put alot of money and sweat into figuring out wether or not you like filming and then decide wether or not you should upgrade to a 35mm camera (you should) and then get so fully fucking wrapped up that you finally splurge for the full on 70mm greatness... then make westerns or something...

I thought they didn't shoot on 70mm? Isn't that just for when they are showing at a huge theater and the 35mm doesn't "blow-up" correctly and to avoid distortion they use 70mm. I could be wrong...

Mangage congrats on the find, please believe I will stab you and take it.

Originally posted by MisPantalonesEstaEnfuega

I thought they didn't shoot on 70mm? Isn't that just for when they are showing at a huge theater and the 35mm doesn't "blow-up" correctly and to avoid distortion they use 70mm. I could be wrong...

Mangage congrats on the find, please believe I will stab you and take it.

no, 70mm is/was a pretty standard format it is definately much wider than tall, framewise, but it's mainly the cost reduction involved in shooting 35mm... 1st, you suddenly have twice as much film and you can also run it through todays modern 35mm processing units.

Lots of stuff is produced on 70mm but due to cost and convenience issues, its definately becoming more of a purists medium. Still, the color reproduction and natural panoramic aspect are going to keep it around for a while... of course, this ignores possible advances in digital technology and I don't even know anything about those Imax cameras but that all seems like the future...

Here's the details for 16mm filming. A roll of 16mm film costs around 35 bucks and is about 3 and half minutes of time, given you shoot at normal speed. Processing costs around 60 or so. You send it to a lab and it takes about a week. You can get two kinds of film: Reversal and Negative. Reversal prints what it shoots and Negative prints a negative and a 'workprint'. Pros mostly use negative and edit with the workprint, then hire a proffessional negative cutter to put it together when complete. Then more prints are made and so on. I used reversal when I first started out because naturally its cheaper (one less process).

Buy one roll of film and try it out in the camera by making a short film. You will blow about 100 bucks, but if it comes out nice, you will know you have a good thing.

You can also hand process, but you will have to learn a bit more about how it all works, and you will, in time.

16mm is not outdated. Studios and stuff are still using it all the time, just not nearly as much. Independent filmmakers primarily use 16mm. There are definitely plenty of places to buy film stock and get it processed.

Archived