smelly robot eats flies to generate its own power>>>>>

Pfffffffffft

Sept. 8, 2004 — LONDON (Reuters) - British scientists are developing a robot that will generate its own power by eating flies.

The idea is to produce electricity by catching flies and digesting them in special fuel cells that will break down sugar in the insects' skeletons and release electrons that will drive an electric current.

"Called EcoBot II, the robot is part of a drive to make "release and forget" robots that can be sent into dangerous or inhospitable areas to carry our remote industrial or military monitoring of, say, temperature or toxic gas concentrations," New Scientist magazine said on Wednesday.

Chris Melhuish and his team, who are developing the robot, have to manually feed the flies to EcoBot II because they are still designing some type of pump to suck the insects into it.

"One of the great things about flies is that you can get them to come to you," he said.

Hence the downside of the fully autonomous robot: it will have to use sewage or excrement to attract the flies and is bound to smell appalling.

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/reuters20040908_362.html

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

so wait..these scientist have created a fucking robot that can power itself off the sugar from a flys skeleton....but they can't figure out how to get the thing to attract/catch it own flies??? i think that would be the easy part. why don't they jsut attach a fucking cage of flies to the fucking thing??

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by nomadawhat

so wait..these scientist have created a fucking robot that can power itself off the sugar from a flys skeleton....but they can't figure out how to get the thing to attract/catch it own flies??? i think that would be the easy part. why don't they jsut attach a fucking cage of flies to the fucking thing??

Are you serious? Think about what you're saying. The spatial awareness, visual acuity, and mechanical ability necessary to catch a fly is WAAAAAAAAAY more complex to engineer than a chemical process to extract electrons from sugar in organic tissue.

Oh, and you guys are late. I poted a link to SlugBot and EcoBot One like a month ago. Ask Glik0.

being that flies lay eggs and maggots hatch within 48 hours or some shit, they could incorporate some roadkill into the process to supply the flies. The robot could pick up some rotten food ,or anything rotten, and generate it's own flies.

**I wasn't sure who tubgirl was so I opened in a new window. Ummm, I didn't need to see that a second time! Hey, there's the fuel to attract the flies though!!**