sleeves: left or right?

seeking

yes, i know, both, but since both is not an option right now...

i have no idea why im being stumped by this, and further more why im turning to channel zero for some sort of meaningfull discussion (if one can even be had on such a subject.) but heres the deal. ive been toying with the idea of a sleeve for a few years now. always, in the past, i just sort of blindly imagined it as being on my left arm, although i have no real reason for such a thing, ive just always 'seen' it there. now however, as i stand at the 'doorstep of eternity', im having second thoughts. not about getting it done, just about which arm to do. i know no one here can answer this for me, but im hoping that jobe and anyone else with sleeves will share stories with me about such a ridiculous thing. i know i cant be the only one to have gone through this 'torturous' mental anguish....

seeking/taking a break from my book oner

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

iif you are right handed, you should do your left. if you are left handed, do the right. what you do while you are healing is a major factor of how well it heals, and hence how "tight" or "clean" it will look. if you don't use your rthe arm as much, it will heal better. palso, later in life, the arm that is more active is also vulnerable to more injuries and therefore scarroing. this is why i would get sleeved on my left arm.

jesus bug, you made that almost scientific.

excellent points.

its strange, when i look down at my arms, ive always just 'seen' it there... as if it already was, but then wasnt one day, ya know. i know that sounds hokey as fuck but whatever....

seeking/back to my book oner

Personally I feel it depends on whats going to be included in the sleeve. I am right-handed and have added two to what will eventually become a sleeve when I get money and decide what exactly is going on. this is my plan. On my right side I'm going to have evil shit. So far I got a skull and a devil that facing forward. The reason for this is if I ever had to punch,slice or shoot someone with my right hand they would see the devil right before. On my left side I have plans to put an angel on the same spot as the devil and other peaceful type shit. Kinda showing two sides. At least thats my reasoning. You should get a little on each arm and work up to a full sleeve as money rolls in. Or else when one sleeve is done and your dead broke your gonna feel all lopsided. At least that how I felt.

pistol- for the most part i feel that (this is not always true, but it is most of the time) sleeves done as small pieces end up looking really goofy. In my experience, a sleeve looks better when it is designed as one piece... my sleeve for instance, couldn't have been done as pieces. it's all one big picture. a piece sleeve usually ends up looking like a bunch of different tattoos just strung together... not to say it can't be done, but my personal preference is one big piece...

im with you on that... its going to be one giant image, not a bunch of small random ones. and i mean, i guess it could be done randomly, in very well planned pieces, but well, thats just dumb.

and i dont think i will feel lopsided at all. i dont know why, i just dont get that impression... infact, im considering never getting the other arm. of course that could change, but i like the way it looks with just one arm done..

tease, i would tell you, but that would spoil all the fun now wouldnt it.

this might be completely irrelevant but getting it on the left arm is a bit better in terms of concealing it if you need to in the future. like during work when i write on the white board my shirt sleeve pulls up a bit exposing flesh. i dont have any tats on the right arm so its okay. but sometimes when i point to the board with my left hand and the sleeve is pulled up a bit and a tiny bit of my tattoo on my left arm peeps out. now getting this done at 17 i never imagined myself being a teacher so keep that in mind that you might come across a job that might have high standards of formality and it might become a problem. i know you have long arms so give yourself like 2-3 inches from your wrist just in case. if you have some pics send em to me if you need to decide on content.

serum, i had considered that exact thing quite a bit actually. i dont want to look down at a tattoo everytime i write my name. just because i have it doesnt mean i have to see it ever second of everyday.

i will indeed send you the sketch when i get it on saturday. maybe i'll send you some sort of prelim sketch tomorrow... i would have looked to you for 'authentication' anyway...

and in a rare change of circumstances, dont you owe ME an email??

haha.. hope all is well man.

Guest chicken bone
Originally posted by serum

oh yeah i recently met a yakuza tattoo artist that uses the old school japanese method of tattooing with a stick and hes dope. but i dont have 300,000yen just yet. so keep that in mind.

ah yes if i were ever to get a tattoo i would hope to go to japan to get it but they are fucking expensive as you know already, the artists are great though because a large majority of people who get tattooed are yakuza affiliated so if the artist fucks up he loses his pinky.. or head depending on how high-ranked the customer is! this ensures for A+ jobs everytime yay!

do you know what area this guy is in and what clan he belongs to?

yeah i know its my turn but i think i'm moving shop within a few months so i'm kinda buggin. ahhh not to mention i had a long night of sake drinking and tofu eating at an izakaiya with the beautiful :love2: kayoko-chan.:love: check your email in an hour.

oh yeah i recently met a yakuza tattoo artist that uses the old school japanese method of tattooing with a stick and hes dope. but i dont have 300,000yen just yet. so keep that in mind.

yeh but 300,000 yen for what a full sleeves work? if that were the price that would be really cheep cause those guys do such good work

Originally posted by chicken bone

do you know what area this guy is in and what clan he belongs to?

the yakuza tattoo artists dont have shops they are only through word of mouth. a high ranking yakuza would never be tattooed by anyone less then a highly skilled craftsman. the lower dorks get the apprentices and would never complain anyways because yakuza tattoo artists are pretty highly regarded since they are keeping the old school art alive. the artist i know is in kansai and hes in the yamaguchi family. they only tattoo you if they like you and you have to have japanese customs down perfectly. money isn't really an issue for them since they pretty rich. but you dont choose content they get that from your character and what they see in your personality. when you were born, what spirit, etc comes into play.

there is a really good artist at my friends shop in osaka that does the same "yakuza" styled tattoos but uses a gun and works in a shop. but also extremely expensive.

truthfully i dont know what exactly what i'd be getting for 300,000yen because they dont do sleeves they do bodies nothing less. so you cant show up and say yeah bra kick me a cool samurai on my ass. the plan would be nothing less then a chest piece, arms and legs. that was the down payment i was quoted for and it could possibly be only for the outline and then pay per visit to get it colored in. pay per part of the body, i dont know. my japanese isnt 100% fluent so the details are a bit hazy.

Guest HESHIANDET

the yakuza tattoo artists dont have shops they are only through word of mouth. a high ranking yakuza would never be tattooed by anyone less then a highly skilled craftsman. the lower dorks get the apprentices and would never complain anyways because yakuza tattoo artists are pretty highly regarded since they are keeping the old school art alive. the artist i know is in kansai and hes in the yamaguchi family. they only tattoo you if they like you and you have to have japanese customs down perfectly. money isn't really an issue for them since they pretty rich. but you dont choose content they get that from your character and what they see in your personality. when you were born, what spirit, etc comes into play.

there is a really good artist at my friends shop in osaka that does the same "yakuza" styled tattoos but uses a gun and works in a shop. but also extremely expensive.

truthfully i dont know what exactly what i'd be getting for 300,000yen because they dont do sleeves they do bodies nothing less. so you cant show up and say yeah bra kick me a cool samurai on my ass. the plan would be nothing less then a chest piece, arms and legs. that was the down payment i was quoted for and it could possibly be only for the outline and then pay per visit to get it colored in. pay per part of the body, i dont know. my japanese isnt 100% fluent so the details are a bit hazy.

honestly, i'd be so down for that. way coler than any tattoo even the most emo motherfucker has here.

Guest blood as ink
Originally posted by vinyl junkie

seriously though, why get any tattoo if you think you'll get sick of looking at it?

it's called regret...you always do stuff to regret it when your older...duh.

;)

Guest chicken bone
Originally posted by HESHIANDET

honestly, i'd be so down for that. way coler than any tattoo even the most emo motherfucker has here.

yea, for sure. hey serum i would start saving up if i were you! i dont know if i would get full upper body though, maybe they will make an exception for a kakoii gaijin like myself. on an unrelated note, the son in law of the head of a certain very very large yakuza clan used to be in love.. with my sister!! no joke.

Originally posted by vinyl junkie

man, am i the only person in here who plans on having a body suit? you guys all hate me cuz i have my right arm done and not my left...:(

seriously though, why get any tattoo if you think you'll get sick of looking at it?

Nah your not the only one. I'm get the shit I already have lazered off and get a full tiger body suit tattoo. Facial implants and everything.

Roooar!:D

hahaha...

i'm serious though. it makes no sense to me when people set limits for themselves on tattoos... i got the skin, lets ink it up! not to say that everyone should have their hands and face tattooed, but i just can't really see myself stopping until i'm outta room.

by the way, it's really scaring me now that i'm realizing i may have the most tattoos on this board...

I thinks tatts are cool but I mean some parts are gonna look ugly after a certain age. I also like having bare skin too. I got a couple on my right arm that I can see. I have no regrets but at the same time I enjoy looking at my left arm which has no visable tatts from my angle. I like the way some parts of my body look with tatts and there are some that I wouldnt want any, just cause I like them how they are now, they are not because of job reasons or whatever.

Archived