slavery in south

thefarm

back from a rode trip. growing up in maine my whole life i have been exposed to lots of racismn. i have heard countless ignorant redknecks go off about how modern African americans shouldn't be bitching about slavery because slavery has ended. that blacks shouldn't be holding a grudge against whites who have no ties to past slavery. most of these people have a "stop bitching" attitude.

i had the oppurtunity to drive thru gainesvill, florida on the way home and what i saw was almost a whole town that was no where close to recovering from slavery. i am not familiar with the south but i doubt that this is the only place like this and i doubt that this is a worse case scenario.

i had been all over the country and for some reason this place stood out the most.

does anyone have anything to say about this?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

w

i was just wondering how long it will take or if African americans will ever recuperate from slavery in the u.s. it's sad to think that a majority of blacks in this country today are descendants of someone who was a slave and a descendant of someone who was brought to this country against their will.

krs one said something about the term "african americans"...it was along the lines of, "why are you calling yourself african americans? if oyu live here you're american." i dunno. i live in the south and hear people use all sorts of slang, but then they jump in their ride and they blast some rap or r n' b. well, not so much the r n' b...but you get my drift.

it's so fucking silly. we should be past the racism b/s. it's 04, i'm more concerned about when i get to own a laser gun or some flash gordon type shit. meh, stupid tv promising us stuff in the year 2k that we don't have...damn you george jetson! damn you!

Originally posted by casekonly

stupid tv promising us stuff in the year 2k that we don't have...damn you george jetson! damn you!

:lol: :lol: so true get our hopes up thos bastards!!!!!!

In regards of racism, i doubt we'll ever live in a world without it, or the next generation or the one after that. Very cliched but nothing is perfect. Will there ever be world peace? i highly doubt it. People will always hate, steal and kill. Of course I'd love to live in a perfect world, and if it did happen i'd be waiting for the backlash. Nothing gold can stay.

Originally posted by Don't Panic

Someone explain the balance comment casek made to me, please.

the game of black and white goes like this...you can't have on without off, nor up without down, or black without white...for one to exist, so does the other.

it's the way of the tao.

It ain't just white Americans

I work with a whole bunch of black folks, in fact, if you are white where I work, you are in a distinct minority. Virtually all of the Administration's leadership positions are filled with black professional women, people with Master's degrees and Ph.D.'s. 85% of the psych techs are black. My shift, on my unit, is all black, except for me. The other RN is black. We get along great, the vast majority of the time.

However, there are a couple of things about Southern black culture that I find sort of annoying. One is that regardless of what the issue is, if a black employee gets in trouble, the first thing that happens is that they play the "race card." How is it "racist" to expect someone who is employed to show up to work on time? It's not. The rules are the same for everybody, but many of my African-American co-workers just cannot seem to get to work on time. They are late, EVERY FUCKING DAY.

Not all of them, of course.

Why is it that the African immigrants who work with me are unfailingly polite, professional and attentive to the job, and I have to frequently remind my black American co-workers to attend to business? It ain't about race, because the Africans generally do not get along well with the African-Americans. The complaint about the black Americans I hear from the Africans most often is "they're lazy." One guy (whom I had to reprimand for loudly cursing out a female black American co-worker in Swahili) accused me of inappropriate laxness in enforcing the work rules. He said loudly, "This is YOUR fault! You should turn them in! They should be fired!" I told him I didn't feel like dealing with being accused of being a racist.

The other problem is the phenomenon of the good-old-boy-and-good-old-girl system within the hospital. Some sorry-ass psych tech (a black psych tech) who doesn't do the job right, but who is hooked up as a friend with a black female administrator will always get a pass. It's very much like the supposed "good-old-boy" network that white men are supposed to be enjoying (but don't--at least, none of the white men that I know are enjoying anything close to it) but it's all about race, without question. The ONLY white members of this group ^^^ are white women who are married to or living with black male employees.

No doubt, the black folks learned this system the hard way, experiencing it from the "have-not" side earlier on, and now they have it going their way with a vengence.

Now, frankly, I don't really give a shit one way or another. It's annoying, but it's annoying in the same way that it is when kids in high school form little cliques to torment one another. I could quit this job any time and get a better, higher-paying, less-stressful nursing job. (NO DOUBT. Most nurses in my hospital call in sick if they are sent to work my unit--they HATE working with adolescents--mentally ill teenagers are just a major pain in the ass to deal with.)

About 50% of my patients are black, and another 30% are Latino. This more or less reflects the racial make-up of the city. It annoys the shit out of me to get accused of being a racist, since I spend eight hours a day trying to help minority kids get a normal, law-abiding, drug-free life, and spend major portions of my day counseling them, trying to convince them to go to college, trying to get them to understand that drugs, alcohol, tobacco and gang behavior are going to kill them if they don't stop. They have the most FUCKED-UP family lives of any kids I ever met. Having stupid-ass, dope-addict, violent, self-centered, don't-give-a-shit jailbird parents seems to just guarantee the kid will go to prison and then to a psychiatric hospital.

But that's me--Mr. "White Racist Person," right? I am so tired of that cop-out. It's not about race, it's about behavior and culture.

Originally posted by EyeforAnEYE

were there black people in the flinstones? i can't remember

no, they didn't exist back then either. then again donald duck was a nazi once, and bugs bunny blew up 'the japs' with grenade popsicles. atleast johnny quest has his hajii.

Black slavery still exists. Not in the USA, but in other places around the world... for example, Iraq abducts mannnnyyyy african Dinka tribals into slavery. Um, and alot of people argue that while blacks were slaves for 200 years or whatever, that jews were slaves for thousands... but the thing is, that the egyptians are one of the civilizations that enslaved jews, but mind you, egypt is in africa. And what is in Africa? Tribes that were not as technologically advanced as egypt, and seeing as how going a bit south, rather than going east for slave labor is easier... im pretty sure that there were plenty of black slaves in egypt.. and obviously many other places.

Im not really even sure what my point is, but ive been getting 4 hours of sleep everyday for the past week or so. I guess i just want everyones input on this. mmmhm. I sure do.

Originally posted by EyeforAnEYE

"I'm sorry for something i didn't do lynched somebody but i don't know who you blame me for slavery a hundred years before i was born guilt of being white i'm a convict of a racist crime i've only served 19 years of my time guilty of being white" - MT

good ol Iam McKaye, speaking the truth.

Good Photographs

How come no gory-ass pics of dead black kids with hypodermic needles in their arms? Or dead black kids shot to pieces by some other gangbanger over absolute bullshit? Or one of the millions of black children in this country being raised by his grandmother because neither one of his parents is responsible enough to be sure he is fed, bathed, clothed and cared for well enough to survive to adolescence? How about a shot of South Central Los Angeles during the "bad old days" when racism and segregation was rampant and the black kids went to school in clean clothes, there was no trash, abandoned cars, or burned-out houses in the area, and no gang graffitti on the walls of the neighborhood? Then you could contrast that with modern-day South Central, which looks like an abandoned urban battlefield, awash in litter, trash, abandoned cars, broken windows and ignorant, stupid-ass gang tags as high as a person can reach, and crawling with dope dealers, killers and drug addicts too wasted to bother trying to save themselves.

Fuckin'-a. It's all white peoples' fault.

I'd like to know where the robust, vibrant and admirable black neighborhoods went? Where are the decent, church-going, law-abiding black folks that populated these neighborhoods fifty years ago?

A few years ago I saw that movie "Boyz in the Hood." In that movie, there is a pissed-off old black man who is railing and complaining about how the gangsters have fucked up his neighborhood. That's the character I could identify with the most.

Although the murder rate is falling (thank God) we are still seeing five or six thousand gang-related murders of one minority kid by another EVERY YEAR. At the peak of the crack cocaine epidemic, it topped TEN THOUSAND MURDERS A YEAR. Shit, no wonder the murder rate is coming down, the stupid motherfuckers have killed each other off.

You guys bitching about racism are totally barking up the wrong tree. The Ku Klux Klan and the Nazis are a bunch of pathetic, low-self esteem losers that are virtually no threat to anybody but themselves. The danger to minority kids (mostly minority boys) is GANGSTER CULTURE that glorifies violence, criminal behavior, drugs and irresponsible sexual behavior. "Gangsta rap" music has done more to destroy the black community and foster self-destructive, murderous, criminal, genocidal behavior than ANYTHING the Klan could possibly have done in the last fifty years.

WAKE THE FUCK UP. STREET LIFE AND GANGSTER CULTURE ARE KILLING BLACK KIDS.

Originally posted by casekonly

it's so fucking silly. we should be past the racism b/s. it's 04, i'm more concerned about when i get to own a laser gun or some flash gordon type shit. meh, stupid tv promising us stuff in the year 2k that we don't have...damn you george jetson! damn you!

dude, im still waiting for flying cars i expected to come out in the year 2000.

Re: Good Photographs

Originally posted by KaBar2

You guys bitching about racism are totally barking up the wrong tree. The Ku Klux Klan and the Nazis are a bunch of pathetic, low-self esteem losers that are virtually no threat to anybody but themselves. The danger to minority kids (mostly minority boys) is GANGSTER CULTURE that glorifies violence, criminal behavior, drugs and irresponsible sexual behavior. "Gangsta rap" music has done more to destroy the black community and foster self-destructive, murderous, criminal, genocidal behavior than ANYTHING the Klan could possibly have done in the last fifty years.

WAKE THE FUCK UP. STREET LIFE AND GANGSTER CULTURE ARE KILLING BLACK KIDS.

Archived