SKOOl

never sell out

i just figured this would be a good thread for people who wanted to persue there graff or art as a career. People could post like where they went what they did when they got out. Im in highskool still and i just wanted to get an idea of where people went and what they did with themselfs and good art skools to meet other writers from all over tha place

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Mr. ABC+Mar 16 2005, 08:26 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr. ABC - Mar 16 2005, 08:26 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-The Leader@Mar 17 2005, 01:16 PM

Also, I suggest paying more attention in english. This isn't a diss, (I have found I need to start making this clear) just a suggestion you should definately look into.

HA! this from the guy who mis-spelled "selling" in his previous post.

ZING!

[/b]

Damn! DAMN!

Originally posted by Mr. ABC@Mar 16 2005, 10:14 PM

pursue graffiti as a career? expect to be very broke. great career move there chief

no kidding. im not sure how you could turn a moderatly expensive hobby into a profitable career. You can easily spend 25 35 dollars on a large burner Figure 6-9 cans at 2.50-4.00 a pop. plus all the 3 -5 can bombs you do on the side. Every time im leaving the paint spot I feel like I done got hustled. Depending on how UP you aspire to get that starts adding up quick. I would paint more if I had more money and time. Montana isnt exactly knocking at my door offering up free cans. i be banging out the cheap shit like its going out of style.

Let me point you in a better dirrection------Graphic Design. you will still be poor but not starving on the streets.

If you are really artistic you might make some money but expect to work like a dog. Its also demoralizing. People will try to cheat you as often as possible. Paying less than your service and art is worth. I have a friend that is trying to make it like this and I really feel for the guy sometimes. He is an amazing artist and he barely gets by

Originally posted by mackfatsoe+Mar 17 2005, 01:36 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mackfatsoe - Mar 17 2005, 01:36 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-postmodernism@Mar 16 2005, 10:31 PM

Let me point you in a better dirrection------Graphic Design.

this guy knows what he's talking about.

[/b]

a better paying career indeed - but those dollars are hard fought. prepare to have very stiff competition for a regular gig. and that's assuming you don't suck worse than the 3 zillion other graphic designers out there

Best Believe: I be banging the cheap shit like its going out of style. I wouldnt try to rock out some dap on a cold freight. Its worth the agrovation to spend the extra buck for thicker paint. Paint that wont run so easy. If its half as expensive its half as thick and half as good. Anybody that knows anything should know that. Racking can potentially cost you hundreds of dollars and a record. Plus it looks bad to potential employers.

Heres what you can do; Look for clearance tags and cheaper tags. Lots of stores mark down paint they dont sell as frequently(off colors). Take the tag off the cheap can and put it on the can you really want. Not on all the cans....maybe a few..... anything to cut costs..... in most cases the cashier will just type it in without a second thought. If they insist on charging you full price. Oh well. Make it seem like its their mistake. SAVE FACE.

Look for sales. The store by my house is selling 15 oz Rusto white and black for $1.50 a can. When K-Mart was going out of biz i was clearing their shelves at like 75% off. Trade centers Flea Markets. Dollar Stores

As A Rule Dont Hustle Mom and Pop stores. Just the big ones. Meijers. Walmart. Home Depot. Corporate Giants are fair game......Fuck Em

Sorry for getting off topic.

Originally posted by mackfatsoe@Mar 17 2005, 01:51 PM

yeah. but im an art major.

honestly, after i graduate with an art bfa (i think thats what it is), i have no fucking clue what im gonna do. to any art majors who have graduated who post on here, WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?

i didn't go to college, but i know 3 or 4 people with arts degrees. here's what they did when they finished college:

they got real jobs

Originally posted by mackfatsoe@Mar 16 2005, 10:51 PM

yeah. but im an art major.

honestly, after i graduate with an art bfa (i think thats what it is), i have no fucking clue what im gonna do. to any art majors who have graduated who post on here, WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?

You get a graphic design job. What else? Museum Administrator could be cool if you mapped your coursework out right. Maybe an illustrator or an animator. This friend that i was talking about. I wouldnt wish what he does on anybody. He got an extreemely expensive art degree and he cant do much with it. He paints murals on the side but its few and far between. It seems like a huge hassle. You have to deal with incompetent people constantly. You gotta be cuthroat in order to get paid. YOU HAVE TO BUILD A NAME FOR YOUSELF. My friend works like a dog. He has to cover much of the supply costs. He is a respected artist. Amazing in my opinion and he may make alot of money but for as long as ive known him he has struggled. Ive helped him and saw first hand what kind of shit he has to put up with.

As for a job doing graffiti. What are you gonna do. Car Washes, Detail Shops, Barber Shops, Dollar Stores. Ghetto Entrepeneurs may seek your service but for a 40 foot long grafittiesque painting you wont get much more that 800. It will take you 3 or 4 days.... Maybe less with help. The demand isnt great. The supply isnt great either which would help you. There arent too many letter guys out there from what i gather

Yeah, All the arts are saturated. I myself am in a classical animation course. The markets flooded with mediocre artists, but very few really great ones. This animation course is cool because I've talked to people who have worked for Disney, Nick, Warner Bros. etc. and also in graphic design. All very talented cats who still work, and teach on the side. The course I'm in squeezes two years of university level years into one. Its fucking nuts. But, on the flip, I'm acctually noticing myself getting better. I might suggest getting your line quality real tight and applying to your local in house animators. The schooling has for sure put me a cut above the rest of the fine artists out there I think. If you are a REALLY good with volumes, model design,drawing for days without sleep, and can sell yourself really good, animation is the way to go. Helps you with your painting skills too. I love it.

P.S.

Don't waste your time with school if graffiti is your absolute life priority. It was a hard call for me, but I don't want to end up working at Swiss Chalet/Janitor/Trade type jobs. Happiness first. Doing somthing I enjoy that will increse my skill as an artist, to support somthing I love. (bombing) As much as I'd like to think being a vagrant artist would kick ass, I have to fund it somehow. Got rent?

GO GET A "degree" at ART INSTITUTE hhahahahahahahahaha

youll go far with that..ppppfffffft

everyone is doing graphic design..you wont have a graff job..never

animation is the only thing you might consider..but nowadays they send all the cartoons down to korea because its cheaper..if you love cartoons..take it...also study being a writer, director..create your won thing.make a short and sell it to nick or cartoon network.

my mom got a full degree in art and teaching..makes about $40,000 a year teaching high school art...and will get that for retierment because she has a masters in art.

its alot of work...just try and do something reasonable

Originally posted by religion@Mar 17 2005, 02:12 PM

As much as I'd like to think being a vagrant artist would kick ass, I have to fund it somehow. Got rent?

'vagrant' writers only last a few years. how many hardcore bombers do you know that have had a good run for more than a year or two? lack of sleep, paranoia, loneliness and frequent arrests get old real fast

graphic arts can be oversaturated, but it's probably the most attainable goal for an artist.

try getting your degree in illistration and see where that gets you.. not that i'm knocking illustrators, but i have a friend who got his degree in illustration from a very noteworthy art/design school and guess what he's doing? graphic design.

If anymore graphic designers come into this world, Im going to quit school and any jobs Ive done and become a ballet dancer. Yeh.

Anyway, you CAN make money being an artist, specifically graphic designer, you just need to know the ropes and how to be a business person as well. I could be the Michaelango of Adobe Programs and the grid system, but if I deal with business horribly ("Oh you want to pay me $5 for 12 hours work? Okay.") then Ill do horribly. To me these things are all common sense, so if anyone is a graphic designer and is doing bad, they either dont live in a high demand design area, dont know how to bust their (or their clients/future clients) balls, or just... suck.