Skateboarding Shoes

PUMPKIN ESCOBAR

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

god i miss skating... thats it, im dusting her off tommorow... damn, i need new shoes.... my deckkk as of now is the rune glifberg clockwork orange slick, circa 1996? 97?? i forget..its been a while though... all i have is an OLD ass pair of duffs, i use em to paint in, there basically useless now for skating...

Originally posted by cracksmoka@Jan 10 2005, 10:04 PM

god i miss skating... thats it, im dusting her off tommorow... damn, i need new shoes.... my deckkk as of now is the rune glifberg clockwork orange slick, circa 1996? 97?? i forget..its been a while though... all i have is an OLD ass pair of duffs, i use em to paint in, there basically useless now for skating...

I just started back up again after I bought a blank deck. I'm fucking horrible, but i don't really care as long as it's fun.

oh shit... I thought you meant OLD sakte shoes.

I used to rock:

Airwalk Prototype 2's (with lace guard)

Airwalk 540'

Airwalk 720'

Vans Chucka Boot

Etnies NATAS!

Vision Street Wear Canvas.....

prottype_01.jpg

prottype_02.jpg

^ I used to have these in Black. The Prototype 2's.

yeah I was really pissed at airwalk for a long time.

I never really forgave them for going soft.

I used to have to get them special ordered by this one cool shop.

He's sell maybe 10 pairs a year so he wasnt going to stock his

shelves untill someone asked, but then he'd grab the catalog and

be like 'so what one's do you want?'

Then they got big, started selling them in the mall to girls,

and went to total shit. I bought one, and only one pair, and the

soles were dead in less than a month. It's like they used a whole

different kind of tread and there was nothing on the shoe 'skate-styled'.

Originally posted by <KEY3>@Jan 12 2005, 11:14 AM

yeah I was really pissed at airwalk for a long time.

I never really forgave them for going soft.

I used to have to get them special ordered by this one cool shop.

He's sell maybe 10 pairs a year so he wasnt going to stock his

shelves untill someone asked, but then he'd grab the catalog and

be like 'so what one's do you want?'

Then they got big, started selling them in the mall to girls,

and went to total shit. I bought one, and only one pair, and the

soles were dead in less than a month. It's like they used a whole

different kind of tread and there was nothing on the shoe 'skate-styled'.

yeah, i think the airwalk "jim" shoe was the first of the low production airwalks.

from there shit hit the fan.

i actually bought a pair of 540s from marshall's...kinda crazy.

i used to order my airwalks from Texas, from a mail order company called Estes..

they arent around any longer.

the 'jim' wasn't all that bad but it was certainly designed for different uses than skating.

I think the real end of it was the 'airwalk one'.

p616549reg.jpg

This was the shoe I mentioned that was for sale at every mell outlet footlocker. I knew by this point I needed a new company.

Originally posted by PUMPKIN ESCOBAR+Jan 13 2005, 04:43 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PUMPKIN ESCOBAR - Jan 13 2005, 04:43 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-seeking@Jan 12 2005, 11:05 AM

ABC,

what are those first black jawns?

i want a pair of the old school vision street wear pants...the grey ones with VISION down the whole leg. if anyone knows a spot that has them, hit me up.

es accels

[/b]

bingo

the first es's that came out

those airwalk prototypes are fresh..i had em in baby blue/navy...

we used to cut the lace guards tho..punch holes in em..and then use them as ollie flaps...old school steez..

vans chukka boots were styling...

the old vision street wear "big V" shoes were the shit too

vision_casual_14000.jpg

there was also this pair of ellesse hightops that were fresh as fuck...natas rocked em in "streets of fire"...and then we found a spot in newark that sold em for mad cheap..like 25 bucks a pair...they were prolly the 2nd dopest non skate shoe brand skate shoe....number 1 being old school air jordans of course...

those wision shoes are HOT SHIT!!!

If the Shoe Fits

Shoes, shoes, shoes. I don't understand what all the commotion is about. The photo issue of Transworld contains 21 individual ads for shoes. Pros have signature models, and the industry peddles them like they're the answer to your problems. So what do I have on my feet you ask? Yes, I do have shoes on but more about that in a minute.

Long ago when I started skating, you basically had three choices. First, and probably the most popular were Vans. Yeah, we're talking old school, paper thin canvas, and very little cushion between your feet and the board. You could also buy Airwalks, very similar to Vans, but with a little more sole. The only other option was to go to the local market, and pick up a pair of Converse.

Now most skaters would cringe at the prospect of lacing any of these to their feet, but back in the day these were the butta's. These shoes were far from perfect however, and a couple hard sessions left them worn and scarred. Ollie holes were usually patched up with duct tape, laces broke, and heels were bruised. Also the soles in these things wore down super fast, leaving even less cushion between your feet and the hard concrete.

As skating progressed, so did skate shoes. Airwalk began to beef up their models with rubber ollie areas, thicker soles, and long-wearing leather. Vans were making shoes out of leather, but their shoes still had the same old school setup. Converse faded away, and Adidas were seen on the feet of a few pros. Also, high top shoes came into vogue, with ankle support as its selling point.

Soon a new company emerged, and offered a durable model that sold well. Yes, I'm talking about Etnies. It's first model was beefy, with a huge rubber ollie area, thick leather, and padded high top uppers. These shoes were tanks, and took anything a rider could dish out. Yet, the winds of change are always raging, and the shoe wars continued.

About the time of the first Plan B video, riders threw away their ankle support and embraced shoes which gave them more freedom of movement. Low tops were back, and the shoe companies followed suit. Airwalks returned to their old school traditions, Vans cranked out half cabs, and Adidas remained popular. Here again, a new company popped up with a low top model. This company kept it Simple, and made a basic, nothing special shoe.

Between then and now, shoe companies have continued to spring up, split up, or refocus their attention elsewhere. It doesn't seem all that easy to make a pair of shoes, but the market is booming, shoe prices are high, and risk is low. This translates into a huge number of people trying to cash in on this accessory.

The focus for shoes today is flashy. Style is probably the main reason people buy a particular model today. Most models share a low top design, some sort of heel cushion, and a rubber ollie area. Some models trick their shoes out with clear windows, reflective bumps, lace savers, and stylish trim. The cost for all these extras, is surprising, most shoes like this average $75.

So what am I wearing, well, I just can't get away from my old school ways. For years I've tried to hold on, and buy $30 low top Airwalks, now available at local chain stores. Airwalk's sellout ways made me upset, because they no longer focused on skate shoes. One day my friend bought a pair of Nice Skate Shoes(NSS). They were too small for him, so he sold them to me for $40. At first they were too bulky for me, but soon the abuse wore them down, and now they're like my old Airwalks, floppy, responsive, and grippy. No, this is not a plug for Nice, but I have to thank them for giving me a shoe where performance comes first.

Where will the next five years take us? Will we see a reemergence of high tops? Will floppy soles come back? Who knows, but for now, disregard style, and buy the shoe designed for how you skate. Well, that's all I gotta say about that. All this shoe talk is making my feet itch. I'm goin riding. See Ya!

source: http://www.skatedork.org/columns/karl5.htm