Skateboarding + Graffiti

Original

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Original

what do you think about graffiti in the skateboarding culture??

i think you should search through the old threads... there's a lot of skaters on here... (by the way, i'm really not trying to come off like a dick)

as for painting parks, it's fun, and alot of the time it's legal... wheels slip on paint tho... i know i've bitched about it, and i get bitched at alot for it...:beat:

for a few they are one and the same...for the rest..they are trends that have been cast into some media feeding frenzied spotlight and need to destroy themselves again and be given back to their rightful owners.

skateparks don't need any graffiti at all...

and graffiti does not need skateboarding or skateboarders...

I love them both as much as I love my heroin habit.

hey....who turned out the lights?...it's kinda dark in here?..

Originally posted by Original

Okay thank vinyl junkie, I'll check out some of those threads. I've really experienced slipping on paint while I'm skating...actually I've never even heard of that happening to anyone..ah well

do you spend any time in bowls? once you hit vert or near vert, unless yer going absoutly straight up the wall, yer wheels will slip... depends how much paint there is tho... the park i hit has too many layers to count, but if it's just one or two layers of paint then the texture of the concrete comes through... trust me, i was afraid i destroyed a tattoo due to paint not too long ago, and i know i'm not alone on this... but like i said, it takes a lot of paint before it's a problem...

ehe

I dont skate dont want to skate, but painting the parks are fun if you know what your doing, its also fun to go over people whack shit their...

skating is dope and shit..but why do people always try to make graffiti synonamous with other things?why can't it just stand alone as its own forceful entity???it doesn't matter what you do outside of graffiti..they dont relate..its on its own...R-E-S-P-E-C-T that.

I paint at the skatepark at night only. During the day kids and shit be flyin by ya and boards are flyin everywhere. At night its chill and I don't have to worry bout any boards hittin me. During the day kids parents be starin at me like I'm the fuckin enemy or somethin. Its alright, not my favorite thing to do tho.

Guest JoeHatesCops

I started writing at this skatepark, It had a freewall, and I just started talking to this guy, and he let me help him with a fill, thats how I started that was a really long time ago. wow

I started with skating and that's what got me into writing. I;m not saying all writers are skaters and vice-versa, but I would say that eventually most skaters show some interest in graffiti.

You can't paint the park up here, it's got that special coating shit on it. But in my experience, paint makes it more slippery and too much graff everywhere makes it hard to focus on where your landing.......

Guest Firetruck

well, close to the lip it duz make stuff sliprey but... I think that it makes it easier to land because the lines and stuff make target points so you can plan your launch and landings...

FDR

i seen lots of peices and nice hands at the sk8 park down in philly. nice peice by base and then x-games peice i dont know who did. and moon throws all around and nice hands on the pillars.

skate to create

Graffiti at skatepark does affect the park. Try skating a park that has been painted over and over for years (like Greer in Palo Alto, or Marseille) and compare that to one of the new, graffiti-free parks and it'll be clear real quick that thick layers of spray enamel make a park slippery. This doesn't ruin a park at all, just makes it a bit more challenging.

A lot of these new parks have strict anti-graffiti rules, some even close to the public when they get tagged until buffing is complete.

On a personal note, I think that graffiti can look great and add to the ambiance of a skatepark if the whole park is done up in pieces, but when a new, clean park gets a few shitty tags here and there, it looks aweful and just encourages cops to get strict with their patrols.

Also - I gotta say I'm bummed when street skate spots get tagged. While I don't mind graffiti at skate spots aesthetically, I know a lot of spots on east and west coast that were perfectly chill until vandalism and litter showed up. Many times have cops told me they wouldn't be kicking us out and hassling us skaters if it weren't for "this graffiti you skaters are doing". And we know that most graf at skatespots isn't from talented, creative skaters, but rather from the sit-down kids.

A sticker here and there isn't a big deal, though.

So skate and write - but not at the smae time. Or don't- do what you want cuz that is what skating adn writing should be about.

yes yes

I do enjoy painting skateparks except for the wanker bmx ass holes who think its their park and try and ruin every piece that goes up.

On a side note nearly every writer i know has either roller bladed or skateboarded at some point....

strange that

anyway keep painting those freights ..the idea of a cross country graffiti exhibiton that hardly ever gets buffed is wicked. We've got a country wide passenger train netwrok but the buff is immediate. FReights may be the way forward.....on second thoughts no.

props to usa and all my bull dog painters smahsing the queens system!!!

FUCK BTP AND SLICK ONE!!!!

Guest ctrl+alt+del

our skatepark is legal. a lot of the older skaters give you dirty looks when your painting, and theyll skate right behind you barely missing you. and then on the weekends, families come down. youve got moms, dads, baby brothers in strollers. it sucks. they come with camcorders and tape everything. but its nice to have.

The reason skateboarders even paint is because they see the people who sometimes paint the skateparks are white, and are like "oh hes white that means I can do it too" Now you have skateboarders trying to paint shit...no no no im just joking people...just talking out of my ass again...calm down...it was fun while it lasted..i got my jollies...so ill move on...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived